The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #221
statik
Foot Soldier

Alopex, Pepperoni, and Ice-cream Kitty would make me pretty damn happy to see.
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #222
bwwd
Hench Mutant

April head needs to be redone, does anyone from here can contact Trevor and ask if this is the final version thats already in china to make metal molds ?
Her chin is too long, nose is too pinchy and lips are as well., it would just be better to copy some small barbie head instead.
Her head is most important part of the figure and IMO theres lots of these barbies out there to pick one.

Last edited by bwwd; 07-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.
bwwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #223
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
I havent posted mine for pre-order yet, only because I dont know the case pack out. If there are 4 slash in the case of 14 then they should go up in single form. If hes shortpacked though? Get ready for the after market
Please post in here when you do put them up for pre-order, I'd like to grab one. I'm hoping we'll get a normal paint version at some point but since Slash is my favorite childhood figure I don't want to risk missing him if the non-pixel version never comes. A sorta ugly Slash is better than no Slash!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #224
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Please post in here when you do put them up for pre-order, I'd like to grab one. I'm hoping we'll get a normal paint version at some point but since Slash is my favorite childhood figure I don't want to risk missing him if the non-pixel version never comes. A sorta ugly Slash is better than no Slash!
Exactly my thoughts as well. Can always trade up if an Archie painted Slash comes through.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #225
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You could get rid of the pixel paint with nail polish remover, a well ventilated room, and a lot of patience. It's what I plan to do, just like I did with the original videogame turtles:

I really wish NECA didn't apply pixels, cel shading or black lines in their figures. Keep it simple, guys.

Play! * Follow! * Support!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #226
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Exactly my thoughts as well. Can always trade up if an Archie painted Slash comes through.

I always do. NECA hasnt responded about the case pack out yet though. Might be after SDCC. I only ordered 2 cases, but I can still up my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
You could get rid of the pixel paint with nail polish remover, a well ventilated room, and a lot of patience. It's what I plan to do, just like I did with the original videogame turtles:

https://i.imgur.com/sIGK6vJ.jpg

I really wish NECA didn't apply pixels, cel shading or black lines in their figures. Keep it simple, guys.

This is good to know. How much time are we talking?

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #227
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
This is good to know. How much time are we talking?
It was a long time ago but I believe it took me 2 separate evenings to disassemble the figs and take the paint off, and wash the figures. Then on a diff evening after they were dry, I painted the eyes, belt, and plastrons (the latter were molded in a different color, I believe green, so nail polish alone is not enough)

On the subject of April, I agree with almost everyone in that she needs a re-do, especially of the head, which is too big for the body. Or could it be that it's the body that is too short? She's supposed to be considerably taller than the turtles.

Personally I'd really like to see a bit more life in the face, perhaps even a smirk? The hair is a bit too bright, but I can fix that myself.

In any case, I really like that we're getting some many supporting characters! And those dioramas, chock-full of references, are fantastic!

Play! * Follow! * Support!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #228
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Indeed! Even the Toon-style NECA Turtles have that weird two-tone green paint (especially noticeable on the arms, hands, and legs), which I'm assuming is meant to be "cel shading" but it doesn't blend well and strikes me as bootleg-ish.

It reminds me of what the creators of Batman: The Animated Series tried to do with the cel shading on the green parts of Robin's costume. More often than not, the intended "darker" sections ended up looking like a weird neon-green hue on screen:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 07-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #229
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I can definitely see a custom Archie painted Slash popping up on eBay in the near future.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #230
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
On the subject of April, I agree with almost everyone in that she needs a re-do, especially of the head, which is too big for the body. Or could it be that it's the body that is too short? She's supposed to be considerably taller than the turtles.

Personally I'd really like to see a bit more life in the face, perhaps even a smirk? The hair is a bit too bright, but I can fix that myself.

In any case, I really like that we're getting some many supporting characters! And those dioramas, chock-full of references, are fantastic!
Yes, I really hope April can receive some tweaks before her 2020 debut. Let's hope NECA is listening. I like what I've seen, but I just don't love it like I had hoped I would. April is a special character in the vintage show not because of the cool things she could do, but mostly because of how cool she was intrinsically. The Hugo and Zelu customs both understood that and communicated the soul of the character, and that makes the bland NECA head/face pale in comparison despite it's other redeeming values.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-14-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #231
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

I love the April sculpt, and honestly hope they don’t change a thing about it. Not one thing.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #232
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
I love the April sculpt, and honestly hope they don’t change a thing about it. Not one thing.
Despite my complaints, it's hard to argue against it being "model sheet" accurate, if that was the sculptor intent:
http://www.oafe.net/blog/2015/09/an-...-model-sheets/

View my sketch work!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #233
mikey0
Foot Elite

April’s hair could be bigger and more wild. That April sculpt looks too much like the TMNT Retro April designs from the 2000s and 2010s. That is not the FW cartoon April. Then again, the TMNT Retro April art will probably be used for the packaging of this April sculpt, so it all makes sense.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #234
Swaynomics930
Foot Soldier

If the made the head sculpt a bit smaller I'll be happy. But I'm not going to lie I will def get it when it comes out regardless
Swaynomics930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #235
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
April’s hair could be bigger and more wild. That April sculpt looks too much like the TMNT Retro April designs from the 2000s and 2010s. That is not the FW cartoon April. Then again, the TMNT Retro April art will probably be used for the packaging of this April sculpt, so it all makes sense.
HARD disagree. The sculpt, particularly the face, is very much on model, as you can see from oldmanwinters’ post.

I really think more than most characters, people idealize April. She was going to be the toughest sell no matter what.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #236
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
HARD disagree. The sculpt, particularly the face, is very much on model, as you can see from oldmanwinters’ post.

I really think more than most characters, people idealize April. She was going to be the toughest sell no matter what.
Everyone will look at this new NECA Target Bundle April differently, like you’re saying. After a second look, this April sculpt reminded me more of April from Turtles Forever special than the April seen on the TMNT Retro shirts sold today.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #237
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Everyone will look at this new NECA Target Bundle April differently, like you’re saying. After a second look, this April sculpt reminded me more of April from Turtles Forever special than the April seen on the TMNT Retro shirts sold today.
As I remember, the Turtles Forever crew leaned heavily on the vintage model sheets for their designs too. It's perfectly understandable, even though it wasn't the best the characters ever looked in the show, in my opinion. I don't know if the show got revised character guides once it moved to CBS Saturday mornings, but all the characters seemed to have more detail and life to them for those episodes. That's one reason why I prefer the Bandai/SH Figuarts style to the NECA style, overall.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #238
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Respect your opinion, but strongly disagree. I think her head (hair, face) is a bit generic and could use improvement. Body looks great though.

Honestly, I think Zelu's April face is way better than NECA's as of now.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #239
zelu1984
Foot Soldier

Quote:

I agree they went for the model sheet look but the chin and nose are off for sure!

zelu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #240
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelu1984 View Post
I agree they went for the model sheet look but the chin and nose are off for sure!

https://i.ibb.co/tx0rw1V/APRIL111.jpg
Ah, the Zelu Touch makes everything better!

Looks to me like that's a strong case that the chin sticks out a bit too much.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 07-19-2019 at 12:39 PM.