The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
mikey0
Foot Elite

Homemade Sewer Playset

Has anyone on here ever made an attempt at makIng the 1989 Sewer Playset using shoeboxes, cardboard, and cardboard paper towel rolls or craft rolls to substitute for the absence of the Sewer Playset in your collection?

Last edited by mikey0; 09-09-2020 at 05:43 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #2
garsh
Foot Soldier

Look closely right near the center of this old polaroid (behind Raphael) and you will in fact find a toilet paper roll helping to support the platform. The manhole cover, if it isn't obvious enough, was a disk of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil. The strip of cardboard hanging beneath it had a ladder drawn on it. Very haphazard, probably in 1986.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
mikey0
Foot Elite

Nice work, garsh. Thank you for sharing that Polaroid with everyone in this forum.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
garsh
Foot Soldier

By the time the playset was released, I had much of my bedroom devoted to a TMNT city play space. My sewer hideout was on the floor, under a coffee table. It was full of accessories and furniture made from various scavenged objects. I still have the little cardboard TV I made, and some other items.

I split open a cardboard box to hide the whole lair behind it, and made some sturdy platforms at the foundation as sewer tunnel walkways. Once again some TP tubes were used as sewer pipes. On top of the coffee table was the street level with relatively elaborate cardboard buildings and an alley.

To the right was a tall box I used as my Channel 6 building, with Donatello's lab underneath, wired with working lights. IIRC, further right I used another two-level table as a garage for my party wagon, and I placed the actual sewer lair playset on top of that.

At the other end to the far left was my closet where I had placed a two level custom fitted makeshift table my dad built, and that was my technodrome. I kept the mutant module parked on the bottom level, with the upper level as my portal room.

Sure wish I had pictures of all that.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
i think i used old shoe boxes yes at one point, then i even used the GB Firehouse once and yeah

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
ToSte
Hench Mutant

Nice pics!
In the late '80s my friend and I each made our own lairs. They looked nothing like the playset. Just chunks of scrap wood and garbage cobbled together and painted. We even had a few vehicles kitbashed from other toylines, the only one I can remember was this armored forklift type rig.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
garsh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
We even had a few vehicles kitbashed from other toylines, the only one I can remember was this armored forklift type rig.
That sounds really interesting! Do you remember what the armor was like?

Recently I came across a radio controlled forklift in pretty good scale for my turts, but I don't have the control to go with it. Even so it makes a good accessory.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
mikey0
Foot Elite

Saw this (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/68117013091017034/) today and thought of this thread.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

This is really cool.
You should take it to the next level and line it with faux brick panels and whatnot!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I can't remember if I used cardboard for the lair, but I'm pretty sure I used boxes as Channel 6. Heck, even my dresser with the clothes pushed to one side of the drawer was used as a stand in for April's workplace.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #11
mikey0
Foot Elite

Sewer playset made out of cardboard, tape, and twine: https://mobile.twitter.com/rusty_sha...DRwfX78sMrAAAA