The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #21
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Are they seriously not letting people access their own stuff??

Tried to check, but still trying to remember my login...
You could reset password and that might work.

But yes I am serious about not being able to access my photos. I use the app on my phone. Last night I started saving my photos from my bucket back onto my phone. This way when I find a new service I have all my photos ready. When I got to around image 70 I started getting that "please update your account" image that you see all over the place. Tried again this morning and now it blocks me at image 32 of 700.

I can only view my photos in smaller thumbnails and can't open them to save. When I click to open the upgrade image pops up.

I'm open to ideas for getting my complete bucket full of photos back on my phones camera roll.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Been sick of their BS forever. Good riddance. I'm glad they did this, now I won't have to deal with other people's crappily hosted content. It's been difficult to save archived TMNT material on there for a year or two now.

Switch to Imgur, they rule!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #23
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I still have access to my account...but also don't have a lot of photos either...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Photobucket really is from the ancient days of the internet, just barely ahead of geocities, tripod sites, and myspace. It feels like all these old sites that were around in the late 90's or early 2000's are finally going belly up.

Now to wait for Yahoo to finally fall.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

People still used photobucket? Thought it had stopped being the number 1 choice around 2011 or so? Not even sure if I still have my account there or deleted, but it was mostly funny animated gifs that I had uploaded there iirc, so meh.

Never made an account on imgur, since it doesn't require an account to host images on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Photobucket really is from the ancient days of the internet, just barely ahead of geocities, tripod sites, and myspace. It feels like all these old sites that were around in the late 90's or early 2000's are finally going belly up.

Now to wait for Yahoo to finally fall.
Geocities... so many pages me and others made there. I think it was thanks to geocities that I've found out how to unlock SSB Melee characters and also how I've learned about the Missingno glitch on Pokémon Red. That website gave me and many others the illusion of having our own website(s). That was before front page was a thing. What kind of software do people use to make their websites nowadays, anyway?

I used yahoo's search bar until 2003 or so when I finally switched to google permanently. Google wasn't very well liked by many at first because it gave more vague and general results that simply what you were looking for. Yahoo search I assume uses google's search system now, no? Also, remember when Yahoo messenger was a thing before MSN's? What does Yahoo even do nowadays? Report news? Do people use yahoo mail still?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #26
sdp
-

Thanks for the heads up, I also have a photobucket account that I stopped using probably over ten years now but it should have some pictures I want to archive. Photobucket is doing this out of desperation I'm guessing so it's probably not paranoia to think that they'll either start charging to use your pictures even on their own site or for them to just randomly shut down without notice to archive your stuff. So yeah, I'd get archiving your accounts.

I mostly use imgur these days and before that I don't remember what I used but those services ended up sucking so I kept switching. I'm sure one day Imgur will suck but as of now it's great.

The depressed Sonic the Hedgehog signature I used in the drome when I first registered for the drome used to be hosted in photobucket
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Space Jam holds the line.
https://www.warnerbros.com/archive/s.../movie/jam.htm

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #28
sdp
-

MySpace is mid/late 00's, it's even referenced in Iron Man instead of Facebook since it was still much bigger

Yahoo has been dying slowly for a decade, right now it really is dying, they just got bought out by Verizon though the brand will continue for the foreseeable future but Yahoo as an entity is long gone.

It was side when homestead/tripod and angelfire died, a lot of great small fan sites went out with them. My first site I ever made was a homestead site, I also used tripod. I never liked geocities and angelfire. At least geocities seems to be going strong. WHen those free website providers go down we lose a piece of history. Imagine if wordpress.com took down all the free blogs, we'd lose a decade worth of fan content.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
That website should live on forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
MySpace is mid/late 00's, it's even referenced in Iron Man instead of Facebook since it was still much bigger

Yahoo has been dying slowly for a decade, right now it really is dying, they just got bought out by Verizon though the brand will continue for the foreseeable future but Yahoo as an entity is long gone.

It was side when homestead/tripod and angelfire died, a lot of great small fan sites went out with them. My first site I ever made was a homestead site, I also used tripod. I never liked geocities and angelfire. At least geocities seems to be going strong. WHen those free website providers go down we lose a piece of history. Imagine if wordpress.com took down all the free blogs, we'd lose a decade worth of fan content.
Geocities going strong? Didn't it shut down around 2009 or something?!

Pretty sure not so long ago I still saw some broken images with the tripod logo on it.

Blogs? Those were mostly a thing in 2005-2010 or so, I think.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #30
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Man, that's awfully low of them to do that.
I feel for anyone who lost all their important photos.

As others have mentioned, Imgur is great. I use it and I highly recommend it. The mobile version is really easy to use, and the desktop version has lots of very useful options.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #31
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Site has always been subpar at best, good riddance.

Imgur is still pretty OK but they're already playing around with dumb stuff that's going to make for a worse user experience probably so be aware of that. Changing image hosts is just something you have to do every so many years online, in my experience. Imgur must be like at least my 4th site I've had to jump ship to because the previous one decided to do something dumb.

No matter what you use, I suggest ShareX, it makes stuff incredibly convenient.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題

I flitted between Photobucket and Imageshack for a long time based on whatever needs I had but I ended up going to Flickr pretty much exclusively because it gives you a terabyte free. I'm sure someone else does now too but at the time they were the only one that gave more than a laughable amount without having to pay.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:04 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Geocities? Fortunecity was the sh*t. In the best possible way. At a certain point in time, Geocities gave you like 10 megs... and Fortunecity gave you like 20. Maybe it was 50. That was a huge deal. Then it became a weird war between them. Geocities had annoying popups, but Fortunecity had a static banner on all of your pages.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

The funniest part of it all is most people don't even make their own fansites anymore. Now people just turn their tumblr into their own fansites for whatever it is they like.

It actually blows my mind the people who used to spend hours and hours making and creating their own fansites in the early 2000's, and paying a fortune in some cases, whereas nowadays you can just use tumblr and have a free fansite for whatever you want it to be.

The teens of today have it really easy compared to our generation. They'll never know what it was like with a 56k modem and the pre-youtube days when you had to watch videos on quicktime or realplayer. Waiting 1 hour for a 10 minute video to buffer. *shudders*
Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The funniest part of it all is most people don't even make their own fansites anymore.
I really miss that. It really showed people's creativity. Every site, however crude, seemed really "hand-crafted," as opposed to what you see now. I liked it when the "Ring of Green" was a thing in the fandom.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #36
sdp
-

tumblr and most wordpress blogs are the equivalent of old fansites whether you like it or not, so they still exist.

I invented tabbed browsing before tabbed browsing was even a thing back when I had 56k. Using AOL/ Compuserve / earthlink, I aligned each browser window from perfectly so that it had a clickable spot and I could switch windows all from the same "browser" thing that those services used to have. that I could "tab" between them and not have to switch screens, I was able to have like 3 or 4 "browsers in the same window that i clicked through.

I especially did this to save time , I would click a link on one "tab" and then go to the other one that had a loaded page, when I finished reading and made another click, I'd click back to the other one that now had a loaded page. All of this is irrelevant now that we have broadband and I've had broadband for quite a while I was one of the first in my city to have it, I think I got it around 2002.

I think 56k also helped me shape my musical taste, you really had to listen to the track you downloaded because downloading another would take a long ass time so you would learn to appreciate what you had and maybe change your opinion. Nowadays with all the music available to me at all times I dismiss songs that before I would've given a few more listens before saying that it sucked.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Geocities still exists? Albeit, according to Wikipedia, only in Japan.

My first little site ever existed with them. Back when people had the patience and drive to learn at least a little self-taught HTML. If you wanted to turn your text blue, dammit you had to go figure how the right tags to do it with; none of this built in site-maker stuff. I remember looking at the source info on sites trying to see how someone did something, did a lot of that to learn how.

Never quite noticed fan sites have fallen by the wayside, but now that you guys mention it... yeah, the easiest options just taking over. At least MySpace was more customizeable; made me sad when FB took over. (edit: I see now it offers login via Facebook now... that's just sad.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #38
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Imgur is the place to go to image hosting nowadays, I remember a time when imageshack.com used to allow image hosting, then they stopped doing it by forcing you to pay for its service.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still can't believe AOL, aka America online still exists. I remember that from like back in 1998.

Do they still do the, "You got mail!" thing from like 15 years ago?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #40
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I still can't believe AOL, aka America online still exists. I remember that from like back in 1998.
My dad is a stubborn old guy so his (aka my family home, parents divorced) internet is still AOL even though some services would probably be cheaper. It's still dial-up, too.

Quote:
Do they still do the, "You got mail!" thing from like 15 years ago?
YEP.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote