The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm such a mark for the 80s in general, but man, there was something magical about the music of that decade. Even the "crap" was at least halfway decent! Like even genres I don't much care for had some of my all-time favorite songs.

Like, for instance, I'm such a f*cking mark for this song and I don't even care.

I've definitely gotten some odd looks, looking the way I do and unapologetically rocking out to that one. Don't put f*cking "Cherish" by Madonna on around me, either, or sh*t's gonna get weird real fast.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #22
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm such a mark for the 80s in general, but man, there was something magical about the music of that decade. Even the "crap" was at least halfway decent! Like even genres I don't much care for had some of my all-time favorite songs.

Like, for instance, I'm such a f*cking mark for this song and I don't even care.

I've definitely gotten some odd looks, looking the way I do and unapologetically rocking out to that one. Don't put f*cking "Cherish" by Madonna on around me, either, or sh*t's gonna get weird real fast.
It's a good song but it resembles "You gave love a bad name" by Bon Jovi a little to closely.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, maybe? I hear what you mean but it's not enough for me to take points off. Some stuff borrows from other stuff. As long as it gets the blood pumping I don't get too nitpicky.

It's like the band AC/DC. I like 'em a fair bit. But they really only have one song, and they've been playing it for 50 years. It's a good song, but let's be honest, they're not known for their range. But I'm not gonna stand here and throw shade when I could be rockin' out instead, nah'mean?

I mean I definitely hear what you mean regarding the chorus hook but the rest of the song is structured fairly differently. Although it would definitely explain at least part of why it got its hooks into me in the first place, as a big Bon Jovi guy.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #24
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Eh, maybe? I hear what you mean but it's not enough for me to take points off. Some stuff borrows from other stuff. As long as it gets the blood pumping I don't get too nitpicky.

It's like the band AC/DC. I like 'em a fair bit. But they really only have one song, and they've been playing it for 50 years. It's a good song, but let's be honest, they're not known for their range. But I'm not gonna stand here and throw shade when I could be rockin' out instead, nah'mean?

I mean I definitely hear what you mean regarding the chorus hook but the rest of the song is structured fairly differently. Although it would definitely explain at least part of why it got its hooks into me in the first place, as a big Bon Jovi guy.
My Punk Band used to open shows with "You gave love a bad name" and the audience would sing right along.

Band Jovi doing a mimed performance on a Dutch chart show, note also that the presenter is a Pre-MTV Adam Curry!

In those days doing mimed performances was standard practice. Everybody knew about it and nobody gave a Splinter's backside.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #25
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I was a wee pain-in-the-a** back then, so I missed a large chunk of the 80's that I couldn't access without cable. It wasn't until my later years that I came to appreciate the wild era that it was.

I personally thank Dee Snider for the House of Hair show that used to air on one of my local stations, along with a few short-lived Heavy Metal shows that used to air on a radio station that streams online nowadays.

I still love me some Heavy Metal bands with a lot of hair.. and spandex.

Last edited by DarkFell; 05-10-2020 at 05:36 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

Its cool. It has a good tune to it. I have a memory with Heaven is a Place on Earth. Though I have been known to jam to 'Manic Monday' only I change 'Valentino' to 'Valentina'.

Of the three 'Cherish' songs of The Association, Kool and the Gang, and Madonna, I would say Mondonna's Cherish is my least favorite.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Whaaaaaaaat. "Cherish" is a classic you goddamn heathen!

...Although I'm probably a little biased. Because I unapologetically will still spank it to this video just as fervently as I did when I was 10, although not anywhere near as often. No shame!

I'unno man. Something about in-her-prime Madonna writhing around on a beach soaking wet just trips my trigger.

My wife insists that the fact I like any Madonna songs at all is irrefutable proof that I'm gay. I disagree, and I also think that if we were going there, my MLP fanaticism would be much greater evidence of that theory, but I don't know, I didn't write the book on these things.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #28
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Whaaaaaaaat. "Cherish" is a classic you goddamn heathen!

...Although I'm probably a little biased. Because I unapologetically will still spank it to this video just as fervently as I did when I was 10, although not anywhere near as often. No shame!

I'unno man. Something about in-her-prime Madonna writhing around on a beach soaking wet just trips my trigger.

My wife insists that the fact I like any Madonna songs at all is irrefutable proof that I'm gay. I disagree, and I also think that if we were going there, my MLP fanaticism would be much greater evidence of that theory, but I don't know, I didn't write the book on these things.
Not a fan of Madonna. Not hate, just indifferent. Early Madonna was the perfect example of primadonna and I honestly thought the term originated with her.

Bill Clinton is a brony and he has a wondering eye. He also had a thing for Dawson's Creek. So I don't think that fits her silly argument. Reads like she is just trying to get under youe skin.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #29
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Its cool. It has a good tune to it. I have a memory with Heaven is a Place on Earth. Though I have been known to jam to 'Manic Monday' only I change 'Valentino' to 'Valentina'.

Of the three 'Cherish' songs of The Association, Kool and the Gang, and Madonna, I would say Mondonna's Cherish is my least favorite.
Did you know that Prince wrote that song?

Here's the original demo he send to the Bangles.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Wouldn't say I'm a "fan", but I do like a lot of Madonna's 80s hits. After like, '92 it was like the music didn't matter and she went full-blown into shock value, and that doesn't hold my interest. At one point she both made good music and was an interesting performer, then she was just a performer, and now she's just kind of embarrassing.

Like I bought the Immaculate Collection greatest hits disc but I don't think I've ever listened to it A to Z even once. Only her early stuff interests me at all.

And yeah, my wife likes to get my goat. She's pretty good at it!

Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #31
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Did you know that Prince wrote that song?

Here's the original demo he send to the Bangles.
Yes, I know the story. Prince wanted to have sex with Suzanna Hoffs so he offered her the song. She took the song and turned him down getting one of the band's three biggest hits.

'Cause then I guess I just won't get Prince laid
These are the days
When you wish your bed was already made'
Old 05-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #32
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
The only one that pins Rikki Roxx every single match.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #33
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Wouldn't say I'm a "fan", but I do like a lot of Madonna's 80s hits. After like, '92 it was like the music didn't matter and she went full-blown into shock value, and that doesn't hold my interest. At one point she both made good music and was an interesting performer, then she was just a performer, and now she's just kind of embarrassing.

Like I bought the Immaculate Collection greatest hits disc but I don't think I've ever listened to it A to Z even once. Only her early stuff interests me at all.

I'm with you, I had the biggest crush on Madonna in those days.

Here's something you probably never heard before, the Dutch band the Scene covered the Madonna song "Borderline" but went for a very different sound indeed.

But a band from NYC who saw Madonna's rise and quite a few of her performances was Sonic Youth who recorded an album with Madonna covers, which was meant as a respectful tribute. But this being Sonic Youth...
Old 05-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
The only one that pins Rikki Roxx every single match.
Yeah, her and everyone else. I think my lifetime average is like 5 and 100.

Also, I typically hit it from behind because I have a bad back. So no, she hasn't "pinned" me in a while but we've had a few time-limit draws.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #35
Reinako666
Thug

This is a good one.

Reinako666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #36
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

All you need is the video code which is after v= and have it wrapped around the YouTube tag.

Since you brought it up, why Bette Davis of the Golden Age of Hollywood? Seems to be a random thing to sing about and coming from a female singer.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

So here's a thinker that comes with a follow-up question:

If you were stuck and had to only have ONE record from the 80s - NO COMPILATION ALBUMS! - which would you choose? And furthermore, name one song from that record that you almost never hear anyone talk about but is "secretly" one of the best things ever and deserves much more praise?

For me it's pretty easy: Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses would be the one I'd keep if I had to lose ALL my other records. Furthermore, I think "Rocket Queen" deserves a lot more attention than it gets, and not just because Axl is banging some chick during the bridge. It's legit one of the coolest songs on the record and yet people don't talk about it that much.

Like obviously I got the album for "Welcome to the Jungle" like everyone else, but "Rocket Queen" really blew me away the first time I heard it, and I was baffled at the fact I'd never heard anyone mention it before. It's like one of those "hidden gems" that all GNR fans agree is great but nobody else has ever heard of. That one song is what made me committed to always listening to full albums from then on, and not just replaying the singles over and over.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:48 AM   #38
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:

All you need is the video code which is after v= and have it wrapped around the YouTube tag.

Since you brought it up, why Bette Davis of the Golden Age of Hollywood? Seems to be a random thing to sing about and coming from a female singer.
Did you know that that song is a cover? The original sounds WAY different.

There was simply no way that that song could ever be a hit in this version.

So when Kim Carnes got her hands on the song, it was her keyboard player who came up with that riff and the whole song was completely rebuilt around that riff.

Bette Davis for her part was very flattered with the song, it brought her back into the spotlight, introduced her to people who weren't even born when she had her heyday. When Carnes, original singer Jackie DeShannon and Co-writer Donna Weiss got Grammy awards for the song, she sent them all roses.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Did you know that that song is a cover? The original sounds WAY different.

There was simply no way that that song could ever be a hit in this version.

So when Kim Carnes got her hands on the song, it was her keyboard player who came up with that riff and the whole song was completely rebuilt around that riff.

Bette Davis for her part was very flattered with the song, it brought her back into the spotlight, introduced her to people who weren't even born when she had her heyday. When Carnes, original singer Jackie DeShannon and Co-writer Donna Weiss got Grammy awards for the song, she sent them all roses.
I had not heard that version like I hear Kim Carnes version every few weeks on the radio. I just found it odd that a straight woman is singing about another straight woman and it seems random. I did not understand the meaning of the lyrics. I suppose this is one of the examples of the cover being superior and the remembered version like Naked Eyes changing the riff of Always Something There To Remind Me and adjusting the gender. Or Whitney Houston outdoing the Dolly Parton original of I Will Always love You or even Johnny Cash outdoing the original Nine Inch Nails sound my making it mellow and slowing it down.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:37 AM   #40
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I had not heard that version like I hear Kim Carnes version every few weeks on the radio. I just found it odd that a straight woman is singing about another straight woman and it seems random. I did not understand the meaning of the lyrics.
To me the lyrics are describing a femme fatale who has that seductive look that Bette Davis had. And doing so in a way of telling a story of a hero going to battle.

There's no Lesbian content at all in the lyrics.

Quote:
I suppose this is one of the examples of the cover being superior and the remembered version like Naked Eyes changing the riff of Always Something There To Remind Me and adjusting the gender. Or Whitney Houston outdoing the Dolly Parton original of I Will Always love You or even Johnny Cash outdoing the original Nine Inch Nails sound my making it mellow and slowing it down.
The best cover versions are the ones where the cover artist puts a spin all of their own on the song, completely reinventing the song.

Leon Russel "Manhattan Island serenade"

The Amazing Stroopwafels "Manhattan Island serenade/ Oude Maasweg"
What the Amazing Stroopwafels (Stroopwafel, a typical Dutch candy, basically wafers with a caramel layer between them) did is to embellish the original tune, making it more lush, their guitarist is a genius, listen to his leads. And of course make a second verse which is in Dutch. The lyrics are basically the same as the English version but place the protagonist in the Rotterdam industrial area. Which is completely desolate. Leadsinger Wim Kerkhof said that it was the most miserable place on earth he knows of.