The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is the song “Girls just want to have fun” subtly sexist?

People generally think the song was a feminist song given it was a smash hit. But the phrase “girls just want to have fun” subtly means girls cannot be hard workers, or take things seriously, or contribute to the workforce because they “just want to have fun.”

I feel like the lyrics “That’s all they really waaaaant” doesn’t really jive well in today’s modern society of 2020. If girls just want to have fun does that mean they don’t do anything serious or contribute to society? What do you think?

Discuss and debate amongst yourselves.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

This thread belongs to Tumblr.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

The song was actually written by Robert Hazard in 1979 before it became a hit in 1983. So a man wrote the song about what he thought women wanted.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

just a song, never read into it, no big deal here.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Too many people - typically millenials - assign an "ism" or "ist" to basically any content that makes blanket statements of any kind.

That is called being draconian. That kind of thinking is usually reserved for people who can't compute real information in real time with real understanding, so instead they rely on conforming to the simplest thought or rule at all costs without any understanding beyond that basic, basic meaning.

Now I'll give cubed the benefit of the doubt that this was basically nothing more than a conversation starter as opposed to an actual "intellectual" (-retarded-) perspective, but traditionally these observations are fringe analysis for mouth breathers.

We really use the "isms" and "ists" very liberally nowadays.

But on another note, you guys should see some of the conversation that takes place from some Indiana Jones fans about the Temple of Doom. LMAO! I mean... I get it. But Christ lighten up. The fact is we make blanket statements because those statements are born in some kind of truth. So if that's true and yet still considered "racism', then "racism" can be used liberally as a descriptor, because then not all racism should be negative or a pejorative.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

People have "conversations" about Temple of Doom that go deeper than, "Jesus, that sucked!" and/or, "Damn, that dumb bitch has some nice titties"?

News to me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
People have "conversations" about Temple of Doom that go deeper than, "Jesus, that sucked!" and/or, "Damn, that dumb bitch has some nice titties"?

News to me.
LOL! Every once in a while you'll have a mouth breather post where the word choice conveys the kind of idiot you are talking to. So in regards to TOD, you will occassionally see something simple-minded like "Is Temple of Doom Racist" combining the title with an active verb or assigning an agenda to the movie, as opposed to something like "Are the Indian scenes in TOD subtly racist commentary or blanket statement humor?" or "Is the thematic content in TOD actually racist commentary?".

But instead when you read "Is Temple of Doom Racist" you know right away you are talking to a simple minded ****. Ironically, the actual Temple of Doom houses a racist cult within the context of the movie - Mola Ram and his cult believe themselves to be superior to the stone holder communities and his cult exploits them for power. Yet when someone posts "Is TOD Racist" that's not what they mean - what they mean is some kind of social commentary, pencil-whipping the term "racist", as if a movie on celluloid is racist as opposed to being a vehicle for racist beliefs or overtones.

There's a distinct difference between the two - one that illustrates how mouth breathers flawed belief system as they pencil whip occurrences of "racism" in society; while the other examples I gave dissects meaning in communication mediums such as movies.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

((Shrug)) I just never cared for the film. It's always been my least-favorite Indy movie; "Crystal Skull" did nothing to move the needle, "Temple" remains in last place. EXCEPT for those juicy mams. I could ogle them for hours; just, sheez, shut UP, lady!

In the immortal words of Stewie Griffin playing as Short Round: "Lady only here because she banging director."

My "fondest" memories of the film (again, aside from dem tittiez ) was once when I was little, I tried to scam my way through a book report by doing a report on the book adaptation of the movie. Didn't fly. After that the teacher had to pre-approve all books chosen for book reports. Which she probably should have been doing already, so I guess SHE learned a valuable lesson.

But yeah, that's all I got. "Last Crusade" 4-Life.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

LOL, Elsa was, by far the hottest Indy chick. And you should see her even to this day. OMG, say "Trophy Wife".
Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Hmm... it's definitely a strong case. However, Willie certainly had it goin' on, as annoying as she was. And I'm a sucker for the incomparable charms of Karen Allen. What she lacks in pure "hotness" she makes up for in pure spunk.

Man, Indy got, just, the best trim.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
We really use the "isms" and "ists" very liberally nowadays.
This really does put a damper on a LOT of entertainment anymore.

I want to make a game where people take pop culture and find ways it isn't woke.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

For my part, I try and take conversations about whether or not something is "subtly sexist", and make them blatantly and overtly sexist. And that, for me, can be quite entertaining.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
For my part, I try and take conversations about whether or not something is "subtly sexist", and make them blatantly and overtly sexist. And that, for me, can be quite entertaining.
A buddy of mine and I have these sort of strange analyses of films that we've discussed on and off for like 20 years now. We've got this whole thing where Darth Vader is an S&M freak under the leather and the Emperor sits around saying creepy **** not wearing anything under his robes - it's a riot.

Then we had this crazy story/conversation we wove, drunk out of our minds one night about what would happen if the Death Star crossed Universes, how would anyone stop it? You'd have He-Man riding Battlecat in the trenches just swinging his sword in circles above his head trying to get in. Iron Man flying through space towards the planet killing dish and there's a beam of light and the next thing you see is empty bloody armor floating through space. The camera cuts to the Emperor in his throne room and in the background you hear this sort of "thud" sound and the Emperor does that head turn and sees Spider-Man on his glass window looking in from space, so the Emperor makes that "ehhhh" sound he makes and sort of waves his hand using the force to splatter Spider-Man like bug on the windshield of the Death Star and then just turns back to whatever he was doing....

**** like that...
Old 03-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

The movie "Legend" is 100% about Tom Cruise trying to come to terms with being gay.

I'm too tired to go into detail but I've written many a thesis on the subject. The symbolism and metaphor, well... it's something.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
A buddy of mine and I have these sort of strange analyses of films that we've discussed on and off for like 20 years now. We've got this whole thing where Darth Vader is an S&M freak under the leather and the Emperor sits around saying creepy **** not wearing anything under his robes - it's a riot.

Then we had this crazy story/conversation we wove, drunk out of our minds one night about what would happen if the Death Star crossed Universes, how would anyone stop it? You'd have He-Man riding Battlecat in the trenches just swinging his sword in circles above his head trying to get in. Iron Man flying through space towards the planet killing dish and there's a beam of light and the next thing you see is empty bloody armor floating through space. The camera cuts to the Emperor in his throne room and in the background you hear this sort of "thud" sound and the Emperor does that head turn and sees Spider-Man on his glass window looking in from space, so the Emperor makes that "ehhhh" sound he makes and sort of waves his hand using the force to splatter Spider-Man like bug on the windshield of the Death Star and then just turns back to whatever he was doing....

**** like that...
You think its funny, but I am fairly sure, if you look long enough, someone made the same theory with a completely straight face.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

HAHAHAHAH at the two posts above....
Old 03-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
The Deadman
Foot Elite

What

10 characters...

Last Movie Watched: The Bridge Curse (2020).
Last TV Show Watched: Resident Evil (S1:E2).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I find Weird Al Yankovic's Girls Just Want to Have Lunch to be more overtly sexist.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
HAHAHAHAH at the two posts above....
Like it starts with "The Darkness" (Tim Curry) being representative of All The Gay, and Whatsername obviously represents Being Hetero, and Tim Curry is cutting off all the unicorn horns because they obviously represent erections and he wants all the erections for himself, and there's obviously a lot more to it but like I said, I'm tiiiiiired. It's also why Cruise and the girl don't end up together at the end, because he's realized and made peace with the fact that he's gay but doesn't want to ruin her masturbation fantasies and also she needs someone to help her decorate and stuff so he's alright with being her Gay Best Friend if that's what she needs from him. It's a really complicated thing.

It's basically a longform version of the Tom Cruise "You can't catch me, Gay Thoughts!" meme. I know that as-scripted it was an entirely different movie than what it ended up being once filmed, so I'm pretty sure it began as a Rocky Horror sequel and it ends in the original script with Curry and Cruise giving each other a prostate massage while the girl sits in the corner and cries over a gallon of ice cream about how "all the nice ones" end up gay.

You think I'm joking, but this goes deeper than you even know.

Last edited by Leo656; 03-19-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
unicorn horns because they obviously represent erections and he wants all the erections for himself
I mean... obviously. Now in hindsight I can't understand how I ever thought anything but this....

Quote:
It's a really complicated thing.
-God- lol
I can see that. But you've unpacked it incredibly well.

Quote:
You think I'm joking, but this goes deeper than you even know.
lol omg I just can't.

Dude I can't imagine the drunk nights we would've had had you known me and a few of my buddies when we were younger.

Chaos at Denny's at 4 a.m., man. Chaos.