The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Disney is in deep ****

Quote:
Disney's profit plunged 91% last quarter as its parks closed their doors
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/m...rus/index.html

Edit:
Quote:
Conference Call Confirms Disney Plus is a Disaster
http://archive.is/A3hGN
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 05-06-2020 at 04:05 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Maybe Plus should have been worldwide from the get-go, it’s still not available in Norway
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Well, there are other problems with Disney+ aside from not being entirely worldwide. Such as a general lack of original programming and bizarre editing of old material.

The most notable original material they made for the platform are the Mandalorian (which I'm told starts off promising but quickly degrades into garbage) and the seventh season of Clone Wars (which I liked but is obviously not going to lead into a season 8.). Then the upcoming stuff are a bunch of mini-series starring the lesser MCU characters (which makes me think they're based on pitches not good enough to made into movies), another Star Wars show and yet another. And any movies made for it just look uninteresting as **** so far, and the upcoming stuff includes TWELVE remakes.
  1. Cheaper by the Dozen (Already remade once before)
  2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid
  3. Father of the Bride
  4. Home Alone (which has those kinds of sequels that might as well be remakes)
  5. Lilo & Stitch
  6. Night at the Museum
  7. The Parent Trap (already has a remake)
  8. Robin Hood (which will obviously have the same problem as the Lion King remake)
  9. SpaceCamp
  10. Splash
  11. The Sword in the Stone
  12. Three Men and a Baby
Also, 5 of these I never even heard of before taking a look at what's coming down the pipeline.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm a little confused about how Disney+ could be "costing them billions." Beyond producing original content, what exactly is the overhead for them just offering Disney+ to subscribers? I can't imagine it'd be even one billion.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

The most notable original material they made for the platform are the Mandalorian (which I'm told starts off promising but quickly degrades into garbage)
With all due respect, whoever told you that was full of bantha dung. Mando is awesome.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm a little confused about how Disney+ could be "costing them billions." Beyond producing original content, what exactly is the overhead for them just offering Disney+ to subscribers? I can't imagine it'd be even one billion.
Royalty fees? IT maintenance? Staffing? Fat Cat salaries? Production of New Series like Loki? I am not sure why it would cost them so much either It does say in the second article that only 1/5 of Disney+ subscribers are paying members. Maybe they are counting that???
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I sub to Disney+ mainly for the extensive Disney backlog. The exclusives are only really a bonus. I assume I'm not alone in seeing the service as essentially a virtual Disney Vault. My only real problem with it is that there's so much old stuff that is left off, and a lot of it probably wouldn't cost a heck of a lot to put on there....they practically own all media.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Sumac
Banned

This is where it goes very interesting.
No wonder Iger had returned.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

$1.4 billion is not a big loss for a company as big as Disney, it really isn't much, Disney is not in any trouble. Also you guys could actually read the quarter reports instead of reading clickbait titles from websites. Disney + is a success, AT&T can only wish to do half as well with their HBO Max as Disney is doing with Disney +. Now that one I see is going to be a huge failure, they have huge expectations but aren't putting half the work that Disney did. Disney + is costing money but they see it as an investment, any new product is going to be a loss for most companies, you have to make up for the R&D/equivalent that was done for the whole project.

Disney was due for a downturn now that the MCU is over for the average person (it'll still do great but it has hit its pique), their star wars strategy didn't plan out and they hurt the brand and they can't continue to rely on the things that made them so successful the past decade, not even bringing Iger back which I have no idea why he would come back, surely he's intelligent enough to see this. Still, Disney will be doing just fine, so just buy some cheap stock right now if anything, it's going to be doing great sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, the infrastructure a lone is very costly, not taking into account many other factors like royalties, maintenance, advertising. They only save on licensing.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #10
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Oh no.

So many workers will be fired. I can bet my money on it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

They’re not.

The parks will be fine once things return to normal (which will take awhile) and any article using a headline “So and so is a disaster” with a photoshopped picture on fire just wants attention.

I don’t have Disney Plus. There’s too many streaming services but this is a separate problem.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If Disney+ has already run into trouble despite having a global lock down not that long after their debut and keeping many at home watching a lot more tv... well, I don't even know what to say.

Maybe people are getting burned out on the amount of streaming services there are. A person can subscribe only to so much.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:59 AM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Music to my ears.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #14
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'm hoping they add more of their old stuff, like some of the LA movies from the golden years. I have the Disney Movie Club membership, which gave me access to some of my old faves from way back, but we also have the D+ to watch newer series, streaming-only content, and a few that I don't feel like buying outright, but still want to watch. (Looking at you, Descendants....) I kind of feel like this is just one of those minor hiccups that happen to every big idea, and it seems to be coinciding with our current crisis, which tells me it's more of a timing snafu, so there's that.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Disney is not in trouble, lol

Quote:
This statistic contains data on the total assets of the Walt Disney Company from the fiscal year 2006 to the fiscal year 2019. In 2019, the Walt Disney Company held assets worth a total of over 193.98 billion U.S. dollars.Nov 18, 2019
As of November 2019, Disney had 193.98 billion dollars. Even though we're now 5 months later, and even with Covid-19, I seriously doubt their 193+ BILLION went bye bye. I doubt they even lost half of that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #16
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If Disney+ has already run into trouble despite having a global lock down not that long after their debut and keeping many at home watching a lot more tv... well, I don't even know what to say.

Maybe people are getting burned out on the amount of streaming services there are. A person can subscribe only to so much.
I agree with this assessment. I myself will subscribe to something in spurts. Right now I'm with Netflix to catch up on Narcos and waiting for Stranger Things to return. As for Disney plus, there was never really anything on it for me to be interested in, so never bothered. I was getting excited about the possible Obi Wan series, but then that was put on the back burner, so again, lost all interest in Disney plus.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #17
Mayhem
Foot Elite

There were a lot of free trials and half price yearly subs handed out, so that might be something. Have to see what translates to full price subs.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Still skeptical of this. The probability of people subscribing to Disney+ shot up about 2000% when this... situation we're all in happened.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #19
TommyT
Banned

Disney is fine. Stop watching Midnights Edge and the like. They’re profiting off of your ignorance.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

Disney isn’t fine. The whole Disney parks being shut down is enough to prove that as they are the biggest money maker.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote