The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #121
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's also weird this is happening now, 21 years after Pokemon debuted. Licensed live-action movies like this you expect to happen when a franchise is new and the pokemon fad was at its highest, around 1999-2000 or so in the west.

Not now...in 2019....
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #122
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cubed makes an aging complaint in 3...2...1....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #123
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This is one of those movies. where in a couple of years. We will look back into and say. "Remember when they did a Pokemon Movie?" We'll say the same about the Sonic The Hedgehog movie. They could either be good or bad. But people will remember the time Hollywood tried to do movies on them.

Kind of like when people look back at the Super Mario Bros Movie for nostalgic reasons. When Hollywood tried to make a movie about the game.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #124
sdp
Megan Fox = April

So apparently this will have realistic looking Pokemon, Charizard v Pikachu battle and he gives us the reason why no Ash. You know, I can see them putting an easter egg of Live Action Ash/Misty Team Rocket as cameos/easter eggs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...of-ash-ketchum

Quote:
The Pokemon Company, they’ve already made many, many movies of Ash, and they came to Legendary with this idea of using a new character. So when I came onboard, I was pitched this character of Detective Pikachu, and I fell in love with the story behind it,” Letterman said.

“It’s a really great story. It was something with a lot of heart, and it was just very unique. And because there’s already been so much work done with Ash, for the first live-action movie I thought it was a really good idea to try something new with a new character, but bake it into the universe of Pokemon. So it still follows all the rules, and we get to see a lot of our favorite things.”
Letterman’s goal is to present Pokemon that look as authentic as possible.

“They’re incredibly real, you should think of it as the way [Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy character] Rocket Raccoon sits in the movie as if he’s really there. It’s that technology. The same group of people that worked on that, or worked on Jungle Book. We’ve got the people on it that worked on Fantastic Beasts. They’re technically, some of the most high-end visual effects in the world,” Letterman said. “It’s completely photorealistic, like they are alive and in the movie.”

“I will say that it’s exactly how I wanted to see the Pokemon portrayed when I was a little kid,” Smith said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's also weird this is happening now, 21 years after Pokemon debuted. Licensed live-action movies like this you expect to happen when a franchise is new and the pokemon fad was at its highest, around 1999-2000 or so in the west.

Not now...in 2019....
The only reason Pokemon didn't get a live action adaptation was because they decided to instead release the anime movies as hollywood movies and then the fad died just as quickly as it came, just look at the numbers of the drop on the second movie and then the third movie when it was basically dead and that was only 2 years later so any plans of a live action movie were definitely halted very soon when producers saw it was only a fad.

People seem to forget how dead Pokemon was in the early 00's, I literally bought toys and plush toys for ten cents on clearance from Gen 1 and 2. The franchise slowly built itself up again to the juggernaut it is now slowly over the years but for many years people would bring up Pokemon in forums as a fad that had died like Tamagotchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
This is one of those movies. where in a couple of years. We will look back into and say. "Remember when they did a Pokemon Movie?" We'll say the same about the Sonic The Hedgehog movie. They could either be good or bad. But people will remember the time Hollywood tried to do movies on them.

Kind of like when people look back at the Super Mario Bros Movie for nostalgic reasons. When Hollywood tried to make a movie about the game.
I'd say we live in a different time from when SMB The movie came out so I don't think anyone actually wants a crappy adaptation of Sonic in 2019. Unless it's so bizarre that it can stand on its own like SMB The Movie was able to.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #125
CyberCubed
Overlord

I doubt Ash or any of the anime characters will get a cameo at all, the Detective Pikachu universe even in the games is clearly its own thing. Plus seeing a live-action 10 year old passed off as Ash is going to look off or bad either way.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #126
ZariusTwo
Overlord

There's a Pokemon marathon starting on Twitch in a couple of hours (10 AM), 19 seasons plus 16 movies. I'll probably tune in for the early stuff through to my headcanon finale of the Orange Islands and Pokemon 2000
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #127
Allio
Foot Elite

2000 honestly was bad saw the original and they forced Satoshi to be a “chosen one” in the dub
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #128
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There's a Pokemon marathon starting on Twitch in a couple of hours (10 AM), 19 seasons plus 16 movies. I'll probably tune in for the early stuff through to my headcanon finale of the Orange Islands and Pokemon 2000
The marathon won't have the 4 Miramax distributed movies (4,5,6,7). I was sure the movies that wouldn't be shown were the WB distributed ones(1,2,3).

Orange Islands is a good ending, it ties most of the loose ends, sure we don't get a battle with Gary but he technically beat him by placing better in the league and he does win a league with the orange islands. The Orange Islands were also the ending of the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga which is my favorite interpretation of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
2000 honestly was bad saw the original and they forced Satoshi to be a “chosen one” in the dub
I love Ash and don't want them to ever change him in the anime now but It really was an awful decision to keep him. I mean Ash is meant to be Red and no matter how much fans hate it, Ash is Red so the Johto seasons should've dealt with Jimmy/Gold and his quest, I mean there was no reason to keep Ash, the Pokemon fad died regardless of keeping Ash in Johto but the anime could've really done more witha new protagonist each new generation.

If this had been an American cartoon I would've understood that they were too afraid to change main characters but Japan doesn't mind getting rid of something super popular and replace it with a new version, they love their legacy heroes and crossovers with past selves which makes the decision more odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I doubt Ash or any of the anime characters will get a cameo at all, the Detective Pikachu universe even in the games is clearly its own thing. Plus seeing a live-action 10 year old passed off as Ash is going to look off or bad either way.
I didn't think so either at first but now that they're saying they want to have realistic Pokemon they're clearly aiming not only to kids but also nostalgic 20/30 somethings that downloaded Pokemon Go. And having a live action Ash/Misty/Team Rocket will do the trick even if it's just a blink and miss it cameo.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #129
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

First plot details have been revealed:

Quote:
The story begins when ace private eye Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son Tim to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry’s former Pokémon partner, Detective Pikachu: a hilariously wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth who is a puzzlement even to himself. Finding that they are uniquely equipped to communicate with one another, Tim and Pikachu become reluctant partners on a thrilling adventure to unravel the tangled mystery. Chasing clues together through the neon-lit streets of Ryme City—a sprawling, modern metropolis where humans and Pokémon live in partnership in a hyper-realistic live-action world—they encounter a diverse cast of Pokémon characters and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful co-existence and threaten the whole Pokémon universe.
https://superbromovies.com/2018/10/2...ling-adventure

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #130
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

If pikachu talks, it's going to ruin the movie. I mean, along with the other things that will ruin the movie, like the movie itself.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #131
Allio
Foot Elite

that's literally detective pikachu.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #132
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
If pikachu talks, it's going to ruin the movie. I mean, along with the other things that will ruin the movie, like the movie itself.
That's why it works though, it's so bizarre to watch it unfold and it's awesome. It's the only way a live action pokemon movie could work and I think it'll be a hit, kid friendly but the weird humor making nostalgic adults satisfied.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #133
Vicky82
Emperor

Trailer is up

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #134
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I love that trailer! The Pokémon looks so freaking adorable
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #135
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Trailer is up

Well... At least they managed to make the Pokémon appear mostly game accurate without looking entirely plastic?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #136
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

You know what? I'm in. This actually looks like it has potential to be a ton of fun.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #137
CyberCubed
Overlord

Genwunners are probably crying themselves to sleep as we speak. I don't have any expectations of this movie being good and some of the designs are really bad, but I'm really happy we didn't get the typical genwunner stuff for the first live-action pokemon movie.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #138
Allio
Foot Elite

I mean it is a videogame movie, so it will more than likely suck.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #139
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I mean it is a videogame movie, so it will more than likely suck.
Eh... it's a video game-related movie but I'd hardly call this a video game adaptation or anything. If this does well or doesn't, it will have nothing to do with the "video game movie curse."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #140
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

If I do decide to go and see this film, it might take some time to getting used to hearing Pikachu speak. That was obviously something that Meowth is very well-known for.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a day inside may, adayinsidemaythemovie, detective sjw, goddammithollywood, picuckchu, pikapool, really?