The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Jumanji 3

So Jumanji 3 is coming. Probably because "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" made more money than god at almost 900 million worldwide.

https://movieweb.com/jumanji-3-decem...e-star-wars-9/

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/jumanji-3-development

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/0...rs-episode-ix/

I wonder what they'll do. The series itself lends itself more to an anthology kind of thing... every generation, another batch of kids and a new incarnation of game. But I feel like they won't want to do that... I feel like they'll want to repeat what worked, with Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black and Kevin Hart and all that. So how's that supposed to work? Maybe a new batch of kids but using the same avatars? Eh...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

It’s technically the forth movie but whatever.

I personally want a story about the game boards itself. I want to see the origin of Jumanji and Zathura
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So Jumanji 3 is coming. Probably because "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" made more money than god at almost 900 million worldwide.

https://movieweb.com/jumanji-3-decem...e-star-wars-9/

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/jumanji-3-development

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/0...rs-episode-ix/

I wonder what they'll do. The series itself lends itself more to an anthology kind of thing... every generation, another batch of kids and a new incarnation of game. But I feel like they won't want to do that... I feel like they'll want to repeat what worked, with Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black and Kevin Hart and all that. So how's that supposed to work? Maybe a new batch of kids but using the same avatars? Eh...
Yeah, the likelihood that they'll just rehash Welcome to the Jungle for Jumanji 3 is unfortunately pretty high. I liked the film a lot, but you can't just do more of the same for a sequel. Virtual Reality could be a good story idea. Or just straight-up have the kids playing the game sucked into the world of the board game, without the need to dress it up as the interior of a video game, complete with NPCs and places set-up like "levels" (which worked in J2, but would feel stale in J3). Maybe they could explore why Jumanji exists in the first place and why its driven to test kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
It’s technically the forth movie but whatever.
Zathura should really just stay in its own lane; it didn't really add anything to the Jumanji mythos as a whole, it was just a retelling of the same story with a different flavor.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
sdp
-

The original also made a ton of money and had potential for a sequel, why didn't it happen then?

I haven't seen Welcome to the Jungle but I'm still bitter about them changing the board game to a video game, the story explanation as to why doesn't do it for me.

The Jumanji cartoon had a ton of amazing ideas, you can definitely make more movies out of the Jumanji world and Jumanji being an entity, I wish they had gone that route.

Quote:
Maybe a new batch of kids but using the same avatars? Eh...
ugh, I think you just deciphered what they'll do...
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Maybe they could explore why Jumanji exists in the first place and why its driven to test kids.
That'd be a good way to round out a Jumanji trilogy. They could make it topical and get into our world being a simulation within a simulation, which is maybe how "Jumanji" is able to warp and reset time the way it is.

But yeah, I foresee just a new batch of kids, the same avatars (plus one or two new ones), and the same kind of scenario.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post

Zathura should really just stay in its own lane; it didn't really add anything to the Jumanji mythos as a whole, it was just a retelling of the same story with a different flavor.
Blame the author of the books for dulisliking the first film that he had the references in the Zathura movie cut.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Blame the author of the books for dulisliking the first film that he had the references in the Zathura movie cut.
What references were going to be in it?

What did he dislike about it? It made him a ton of money, the book is a picture book for godsake it's not a real book that they mangled the source material.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What did he dislike about it? It made him a ton of money, the book is a picture book for godsake it's not a real book that they mangled the source material.
http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.c...12zathura.html
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wonder where they will take the 3rd movie after how this one ended. Are they still going with the video game motif?
Old 02-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wonder where they will take the 3rd movie after how this one ended. Are they still going with the video game motif?
They're kind of committed to it at this point. It would be strange if it reverted to the book now.

Maybe yeah, shift it to VR? And blur the line between the world of Jumanji and the real world? There might be something in that.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

But would a Jumangi Rebooted sequel do as well without the likes of Johnson, Hart, Gillian, and Black?

What other lead actors and actresses would you sign? Maybe some of the Marvel leads, like one of the Chrisses? ScarJo?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Jumanji Sequel Coming Next Year, The Rock Will Return
https://411mania.com/movies/jumanji-...ing-next-year/

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Jumanji Sequel Coming Next Year, The Rock Will Return
https://411mania.com/movies/jumanji-...ing-next-year/
Jeeze, it really is Sony's biggest grossing movie of all time?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
sdp
-

I wonder why they didn't do a sequel in the 90s since that one was also a huge hit, it took so many years for Zathura to come out.

Quote:
Jeeze, it really is Sony's biggest grossing movie of all time?
Inflation/ticket cost, if movie theaters counted tickets sold and not the money earned you wouldn't see all these new movies making new all time highs all the time.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's sad that a Robin Williams franchise just turned out to become a Dwanye Johnson and Kevin Hart vehicle. If only they did these movies about 10 years earlier in like 2005 or something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
sdp
-

The Jumanji cartoon did more world building and built up an interesting lore that I doubt this new "film franchise" will ever get to do.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #17
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I finally saw the sequel a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Way better than I was expecting.

Andrew's original post is dead on with part 3. If they're bringing back the same actors then it's probably just going to end up being a repeat of part 2 which isn't very exciting.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I finally saw the sequel a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Way better than I was expecting.

Andrew's original post is dead on with part 3. If they're bringing back the same actors then it's probably just going to end up being a repeat of part 2 which isn't very exciting.
There's... ways they can do it and still make it original, but none of them seem exciting to me.

i.e.... maybe we meet the "real" people either in the real world or inside Jumanji that the avatars that the Rock, Jack Black, etc., are based off of and they become involved. They could even involve the cast of the first one, bringing back Kirsten Dunst or something.

But yeah, meh.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

No big surprise, but word is it'll be more connected to the latest movie than the Robin Williams movie.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/jumanji-...equel-details/
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the Trailer for Jumanji: The Next Level.

Tags
cuckmanji, the next sjw