The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Static Shock Movie in Development

Michael B. Jordan, Outlier Society to Produce DC Movie 'Static Shock' (Exclusive)

Jordan will join Reginald Hudlin on the feature project that was first revealed during August's DC FanDome event.
Michael B. Jordan is boarding Warner Bros. and DC’s Static Shock as a producer.

Jordan will join Reginald Hudlin on the feature project that was first revealed during August's DC FanDome event. He will produce via Outlier Society, his Warners-based banner.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I remember DC having some weird contractual obligations with Static and the other Milestone characters. Something about how they have to publish something new featuring them in some capacity but also have to pay royalties when they do, which is why their appearences tend to be somewhat sporadic.

If this is indeed the case, it's pretty sad to think DC/Warner can perpetually make billions off comic book characters but get cold feet when they have to share that money, remember how much tried to weasel out of paying royalties for Superman?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I am ecstatic!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
If this is indeed the case, it's pretty sad to think DC/Warner can perpetually make billions off comic book characters but get cold feet when they have to share that money, remember how much tried to weasel out of paying royalties for Superman?
Are we even sure DC made a lot of money from the Milestone characters? It seems like they just sort of trot them out every few years, they fail, and they do it again in a few years. Sort of like the Legion of Super-Heroes since forever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Man I miss Dwayne McDuffie..
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Are we even sure DC made a lot of money from the Milestone characters? It seems like they just sort of trot them out every few years, they fail, and they do it again in a few years. Sort of like the Legion of Super-Heroes since forever.
Nope. Just gotta make the numbers even. Remember the whole "Worlds Collide" gimmick? All that noise and a bad cross-over, and then a year later they were gone. "Oops". I was shocked they ever bothered bringing it back even after the first round. "We came, we saw, we went bankrupt in two years" isn't anything one brags about, nor does it suggest they'd get a lot of second or third chances to succeed. But, there ya go.

Kinda like how "Supergirl" would've gotten cancelled like three seasons ago if ratings were the only factor. But they weren't. So it got a longer leash despite being something of a flop. Likewise, "Milestone" never really went anywhere, but they keep it around because "they have to".

That said, at least Static Shock had a cartoon show that was apparently fairly well-received, and I'm pretty sure they've been talking off-and-on about a movie for a very long time. It's just Right Now, there's a new "urgency" to get it made. Because... y'know. But at least the character has an audience. It's not like they're doing Icon or Hardware. Like nobody cares about those guys, but at least Static Shock was a cartoon show.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, it's weird. Anyway, point is, just shove Static into Teen Titans or something and let the estate of McDuffie get whatever meager royalties they hammered out before he died. No real need to give him his own book... Unless that was part of the deal, in which case they're forced to do this anyway...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Man I miss Dwayne McDuffie..
I've got two Deathlok vol 2 #1 slabs that prove my love for his work. A 9.8 Direct Market and a 9.8 Newsstand. That was a great run.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I was hoping they would put Static in Black Lightning.