The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #41
Allio
Foot Elite

There are plenty of reasons to hate the dub

from changing of names (Yes names are important, because in digimon the game is "What's in a name") to completely ruining of the atmosphere. I can understand why someone would watch it for the camp factor, but honestly Cheese (original) >>>>>> Camp (Dub)

and when you change the script, it really messes with the tone the setting has.

No biased opinions here. The dubs (especially 1,2 and fusion) are outdated by today standards of dubbing. I mean, Viz and Funimation would just laugh at them and tell Neo-Saban to go sit at the kid's table

Heck, while voice acting is a little iffy, the current Pokemon and Beyblade dubs actually are decent.

Last edited by Allio; 08-07-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #42
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

No, the name changes do not matter because almost everybody has the same or similar name. In Adventure in particular, the English names are just nicknames, used in quotes in the middle of their Japanese first and last names.

You almost never see a dub do that if it changes names. There are far worse offenders than Digimon when it comes to dub name changes [like Yu-Gi-Oh, especially GX].
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

I'm all about picking subs over dubs, but when it comes to anime like Pokémon, Beyblade or Digimon, I don't really mind watching them dubbed, for some reason.

And despite disliking name changes when they are not needed, I call the characters of Beyblade and Pokémon by their English names which have also become their "official" ones, so to speak, all over Europe. I just cant' bring myself to call Ash "Satoshi". Feels weird.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #44
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
No, the name changes do not matter because almost everybody has the same or similar name. In Adventure in particular, the English names are just nicknames, used in quotes in the middle of their Japanese first and last names.

Similar names... yeah (I want to mention, I'm not speaking about human characters)

Lilithmon: In Demonology the first wife Adam before Eve. She wanted equality, she then betrayed God and became the wife of Satan (She sure got her equality /sarcasm) and became the mother of the Succubus

Laylamon: Lady of the night in Arabic

Really similar /sarcasm

also don't get me started on Omegamon/Omnimon...I'm not mad, I know BoA couldn't of predicted Alphamon, but still (I hear one of the guys at Bandai was kicking himself about that after Alphamon was announced.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And despite disliking name changes when they are not needed, I call the characters of Beyblade and Pokémon by their English names which have also become their "official" ones, so to speak, all over Europe. I just cant' bring myself to call Ash "Satoshi". Feels weird.
Both of those are different.

To alot of Pokemon fans, the manga is usally casual stuff, the important stuff is the games and manga...so not many really even cares if their are subs or not (I believe there is only 1 Pocket Monsters sub group, which I watch the movies from)

NOW, if you talk Pokemon special, there is definitely the whole debate of the name "Blue or Green" for the characters of the first arc. Did a poll recently, about 58% (out of 250) preferred to call the girl "Blue"

Beyblade is a different case, after the original series (after the present company took ahold) Sure the names were changed, but it was only so that the names would be spelled better to pronounce the names like in Japan...the only thing that actually had a full name change was the "Cancer" blade...which kills me a little on the inside

Last edited by Allio; 08-08-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #45
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Pokémon and Beyblade are only different cases to you because you aren't as invested, as proven by how much you care about dub name changes to the ****ing Digimon of all things.

For me, most of them are fine, but it's a rather case-by-case basis. Some of them have much better dub names [Piximon, Myotismon, Gatomon], some of them get a little confusing [Bearmon vs Kumamon], some are adapted to better suit the English language [Wizardmon, Biyomon, Frigimon] and others don't make any sense or sound stupid [Gallantmon, SkullMeramon].

The Laylamon example you provided is nothing to get worked up about because religious references are often cut out of children's media, like, ahem, VAMDEMON. Not that it matters because Myotismon sounds so much cooler anyway. Laylamon was probably picked as the change in the name because it had a double-L sound in it still. They don't usually try to name name changes too different if they can avoid it, since Omnimon still starts with an O [doesn't really explain Gallantmon though].

Holydramon was changed to Magnadramon for the same reason, same with Beelzemon/Beelzebumon and MagnaAngemon/HolyAngemon. While yes, the argument could be made that this is inconsistent as some Digimon such as SkullSatamon and Daemon didn't really have their names changed, you still can't deny that there's a good chance these name changes were forced by the network and are NOT the fault of BoA. I have no evidence to necessarily back this up, but if SkullSatamon and Daemon's names weren't changed [and neither was Devimon's for that matter] I feel confident in saying it was probably the case. It's not anything anybody could do anything about.

There aren't a lot of Digimon whose names were changed that much, anyway. Most of them keep their Japanese names, or are very similar in the localized version [like Wizardmon].

EDIT: I will take points away from the dub by using the name MaloMyotismon, though. BelialVamdemon sounds INFINITELY COOLER. Not that it matters because MaloMyotismon was a **** villain anyway, and his dub name at least lets me call him MarshMaloMyotismon.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #46
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Pokémon and Beyblade are only different cases to you because you aren't as invested, as proven by how much you care about dub name changes to the ****ing Digimon of all things.
Why wouldn't I care about the names of the Digimon? They are just as important to the franchise as the humans; unlike Pokemon/Beyblade/Yugioh, the Digimon aren't just some copy and paste extension of the human cast.

Even in stuff like Pokemon (in the games) the only ones that kept their japanese names are the ones that actually have some importance to the game franchise itself: The Mascot (Pikachu) and the Legend Pokemon that actually has the plot surrond them (Save for the Kanto Birds, but they were pretty much just as interchangeable as any other pokemon)...any other Pokemon could be switched in and out as they please
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #47
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Because there's SO MANY Digimon out there that to even someone as invested as me, it feels pointless to get mad at all the name changes, especially since so many of them are just minor or otherwise an improvement to the original.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #48
Allio
Foot Elite

I'll never get over Reapmon...I mean, I get he is a Reaper, but we already have a REAPERMon...it's redundant
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #49
Peanut
Second Gear

This place has quickly turned into an adult-children who take bullsh*t too seriously thread.

Dubs and subs both have their merits for different reasons and those reasons are different based on the person.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #50
ssjup81
Foot Elite

How is it taking it seriously? For some people they prefer or like dubs...some don't. They were just stating why mostly.

I prefer to watch shows with their original audio anyway. It could be a show from...Russia or wherever...I want to hear the native speakers of said program.

I'm the same with English programs. If the show was originally in English, I want to view and hear it that way, so watching dubs of English programs don't appeal to me much.

So for me, I'm like that with pretty much everything.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #51
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Don't listen to him, he's biased against the dubs. They're all watchable, including

He's also a fan of Evangelion. Make of that what you will :V
It just means he's got great taste!

I love Evangelion, but to me, Tamers only referenced that series on a visual level (the design of the D-Reaper critters, WarGrowlmon, a few other things I'm forgetting), while the Lain/Lovecraft connections seemed to have more substance.

I haven't watched the Tamers series in a decade, though, so I could be wrong about how much it draws from Evangelion plotwise.

As for editing, I don't support any dub edits on principle: nothing that TV dubs change are really necessary, once you remove the assumptions made by censors/fear of losing viewers or money.

However, I can't bring myself to get het up over changes made to series I haven't watched in a long time, because they're more like nostalgic things for me now.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #52
Allio
Foot Elite

remember when Mimi witnessed 9/11

http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=457#06
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #53
Peanut
Second Gear

Remember those super old mid-late 90's Digimon sites? I remember one on Tripod or Angelfire or something similar where you'd pick a Digimon and level them and stuff. It was kind of like a message board RP, I guess? That was super fun.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
Ninjinister
無問題

I typically tend to use dub/English names outside of the most ridiculously stupid (like "Zolo") in anything because A) More people will know who I'm referring to and B) I forget half of the English names for these anime/manga/games that have like 88,000 characters and remember even less of the Japanese names.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #55
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Remember those super old mid-late 90's Digimon sites? I remember one on Tripod or Angelfire or something similar where you'd pick a Digimon and level them and stuff. It was kind of like a message board RP, I guess? That was super fun.
I forget what the digimon fansite was, but there was one that actually uploaded all those old digimon web games...it was some Frontier themed website

it had that stupid one with Tai and Agumon, that Tamers one, the Infermon movie game...ah...cheap internet games....good times
Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #56
Allio
Foot Elite

so was looking around, and I found promotion art of the new Digimon Adventure project featuring Hackmon

With him getting his Royal Knight form, he will be replacing his master Gankoomon as a royal knight, I wonder if he will be appearing in the series

Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #57
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Since I have a bit of time I decided to give a more thorough reason why I stopped watching the dub. Since it's long, I will use spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
This is how I feel, personally...

IMO, the dub fails because of how they characterized them. They changed some of the characters. For instance, Mimi was changed. She's not shallow in the original and can be serious when the time calls for it. In other words, she wasn't all that much of a stereotype like the dub made her. Mimi isn't a shopaholic or fashion obsessed. She also doesn't give off that, "I'm popular, so I can't hang with those like Izzy or Joe". In the novel (which is canon in the eyes of the Adventure director), there's the part where Mimi was on the bus and arrived at the campgrounds. She noticed Jou (unknown to her at the time) and that he was their camp leader, but she didn't feel he could be very reliable because he looked so nervous and uptight. When she and her friends saw Koushirou with his laptop, the other three girls laughed over it, thinking he was strange, but Mimi didn't get why it would be funny and didn't laugh at her classmate, who she did know (out of the group, Koushirou was the only person she knew as they were in the same year and class). If this was included in the animated series, and dubbed, I could see the writers either having her say something in regards to it like, "What a nerd" or something along the lines of it, or thinking it.

Same goes for Izzy. They upped his intelligence for the dub and made him a stereotypical nerd with the social skills of a hermit, when he really isn't for the original at all. In one dub ep (I think in early 02) they were going on about him doing something that a super smart person would do, like studying physics for fun or something. They also made Izzy a bit arrogant, like, "I'm smart, and I'm going to let you all know that I'm smarter than you. Let me patronize you some more." This was the final straw for me to stop watching the dub (this was in 02 as Izzy took a potshot at Davis and he wasn't even there). Koushirou is polite, would never purposely insult someone, and is pretty respectful towards everyone. The boy is a bit introverted, given his adoption complex, but not a stereotypical nerd. He just likes computers and learning about things that interest him. He's just an analytical thinker. For the dub, seems they ignored "Joe". Jou was pretty smart as well, as he's great at math and academically smart (so is Yamato, as a matter of fact; he's also academically smart and smart in general so his getting into engineering isn't surprising). So yeah, dub Izzy comes across as a know-it-all who would probably be into Star Trek and stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that, whereas Koushirou really doesn't seem to give off that impression.

Oh, the other unforgivable thing, imo, was the treatment of "Davis", but the head writer mentioned that he just didn't like the character and changed stuff to have him bashed. They exaggerated his crush, for one. It was very innocent in the original version. Normal. He never went around claiming Hikari was his girl or acted as if she were his girlfriend. In the original, everyone knew of his crush, but it wasn't overly done. He also seemed to get dumbed down and the other characters around him came across as being superior to him. He isn't good in school (well math was mentioned in the original) but he wasn't an idiot. That's what caused me to stop watching the dub of the show. I liked Daisuke.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #58
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I've watched both versions of the Adventure series but I never saw the dubbed versions of them that way. Mimi never treated Izzy like that. Like there were specific episodes where those two worked together and she didn't treat him like that. I think you're probably exaggerating her more than the dub does.

But some of the opinions on Izzy are kinda justified. Izzy, my favourite character next to Joe, says a lot of stupid ****. But there's just a charm to it, for me.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #59
Peanut
Second Gear

News flash! They're both incredibly dated and bad in their own ways. Whether you like cliched anime tropes and by-the-books characterization, or dumbed down American dubbing filled with lazy puns, is a preference.

I personally like both.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #60
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Well yes, I like both too. I just lean slightly towards the dub and I just don't like that it gets so much **** from people when it's not even a bad dub.

Tags
digimon