The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Have you ever been on a road trip? How many miles/kilometers? Good or bad experience?

As an adult I've traveled only around 400 miles round trip and it was good times. When I was younger I went with some family from Washington state back to Pennsylvania and the NY area for a reunion. I enjoy road trips more as an adult than when I was a child. Maybe when I'm old I'll travel the country in an RV, that might be fun.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Last one was almost 9 years ago when we drove from here (DE) to Disney World. Had done it once before when I was 12. Back then we'd also stopped in a couple other states to visit old friends. Not so much this last time, just a short visit in Sarasota.

Beyond that, I've also been as far west as southeastern Kansas. (So well over 1000 miles each way?) Drove to a small town out there the summer I was 16 for my great (step) grandmother's funeral after she died at the age of 104. My first funeral. I'd never met the woman though (and she only knew my sister and I via photos) so I can't really say it was a 'bad' experience.

Plus, I was able to see just once the last little handful of land out there still owned by my grandfather before it would be sold off. At one time it was 14,000 acres. (Willed to him by "Uncle Bill" - who we know now was his biological father, not just a family friend referred to as "uncle," so no wonder it was willed to him.) Kinda wish we still had it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Last one was almost 9 years ago when we drove from here (DE) to Disney World. Had done it once before when I was 12. Back then we'd also stopped in a couple other states to visit old friends. Not so much this last time, just a short visit in Sarasota.
I so wanted to go to DisneyWorld growing up. I was lucky enough to go Disneyland though.
Quote:
Beyond that, I've also been as far west as southeastern Kansas. (So well over 1000 miles each way?) Drove to a small town out there the summer I was 16 for my great (step) grandmother's funeral after she died at the age of 104. My first funeral. I'd never met the woman though (and she only knew my sister and I via photos) so I can't really say it was a 'bad' experience.
Wow! 104, that's something. Traveling for a funeral I imagine is not the happiest of trips. I'd like to visit as many small towns as possible one day. See all the random attractions that aren't well known.
Quote:
Plus, I was able to see just once the last little handful of land out there still owned by my grandfather before it would be sold off. At one time it was 14,000 acres. (Willed to him by "Uncle Bill" - who we know now was his biological father, not just a family friend referred to as "uncle," so no wonder it was willed to him.) Kinda wish we still had it.
Funny you would say that about land. My Grandma is currently starting to figure out how to best sell off some land she has in Pennsylvania. My great Grandfather left it to her back when he passed away in 1990. It's hard for her to let go of it. I think about 65 acres.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I travel a lot and most of it is driving.

My tolerance for driving in a day is about 8 hours, so about 400 miles.

When I was about 9 or 10, my whole family drove from home in Huntsville, AL to Los Angeles to see my grandparents and various other relatives along the way. That took three days. Fun trip though.

Most of my adult road trips have been to New Orleans, Orlando, Miami, Dallas, and wherever is interesting within eight hours.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I've been on family road trips to Orlando, New York City, and L.A. a couple of times throughout the years. We'd drive for hours and then stop and stay at a random town for a bit to rest up and see the sights and then continue the trip.
It was fun. Lots of fond memories. But sitting in the car for so long can be a hassle. And eating fast food as often as we did definitely wasn't good for us.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Im going to Dallas tomorrow , would like to see locations from the show and also Robocop.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Growing up, ALL of our trips were road trips. Parents love camping and like going to state parks all over the place. Been to Little Sahara in Oklahoma, Big Bend, Palo Duro Canyon and the Rio Grane here in Texas (all in different parts of the state), Red River New Mexico, Ouray Colorado, Texarkana, and a slew of others closer. Then after getting out on my own my (then fiance) and I drove to Jackson Miss. for his brother's wedding, and to Pennsylvania and back for a failed attempt to move(long story).

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

I've gone up & down the east coast a number of times with my group to play shows. Always fun traveling.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Longest running one was probably from the north of North Carolina, down and then west, all the way over to Tupelo Mississippi, via Birmingham Alabama, picking up people along the way to a wedding.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #10
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

When I was a kid I went from Perth to Melbourne a couple of times, which is about 3,400 km (2,112 miles) one way. You can do it in less than 2 days if you have more than one driver, but we did it in 3 both times.

It's longer to Sydney, but I've never driven all the way there. We drove to Melbourne and then caught the train.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've been on two.

From Denver, Colorado, to...somewhere in Minnesota when I was eight for a family gathering.

Then Sacramento to Ft Worth when I was thirteen, moving back to Texas from California.