The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #81
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The thing is, there is hardly ever like a bidding war for the TMNT video game license. Nobody wants it. You get the license, you still have to pay a full staff and crew to make it, and in this day and age to make a "good" game on the current platforms, that's not cheap. The last two games' underperformance doesn't make a good case for game studios to throw even more money at the problem to see if a different result will be had.

It'd need to be self-financed.
Well sure but since me having complete control of TMNT rights is already unrealistic as it gets, I might as well go the extra mile and fantasise about a kick ass Ninja Turtles game!

I think the highest selling TMNT game ever was the first ever NES game. Top 10 selling NES game with about 4 million copies worldwide. Most kids who had a NES had that game at some point. It was released more or less around the time when the Turtles were at their peak in popularity. It's no wonder so many people know about that game still. Turtles in Time is also fairly well known but I don't think it was exactly a comercial success. Did it even sell 1M copies?

And yes, the TMNT property isn't as hot as marvel or DC properties are, we know.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #82
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
That sounds truly ghastly. The 4Kids "adaptation" of those stories was painfully horrid as it was... I can't even imagine what the FW equivalent would be, but it would be 180 degrees from anything resembling "Good."
I didn't say it would be good, just an interesting experiment. At best, it would be "enjoyably bad".

And, I have to disagree with you about 4Kids Return to NY, but their take on City at War was pretty underwhelming. I'll give you that.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #83
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. Purge the Bay Turtles stuff from existence and wipe out the memories of everyone who has seen it with Men in Black's neuralyzer... actually no, scratch that.
Memories have a habit of resurfacing. If you got your own way here I'm just imagining one day a worldwide outbreak of PD memories flooding back because the effects of memory wipe have worn off.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Memories have a habit of resurfacing. If you got your own way here I'm just imagining one day a worldwide outbreak of PD memories flooding back because the effects of memory wipe have worn off.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #85
AquaParade
Banned

I think my goal would be to make sure there is a "TMNT for everyone". While that may sound like sterile, distilled, market-speak, what it really means is that we need to have content that hungry, adult-tmnt fans can enjoy, as well as the children and teens.

First step in that goal would be to focus most of my attention of finding a film-team that understands what makes the Mirage comics special. The grit and sense of danger needs to find it's way back, but that doesn't mean losing the zany spirit of it all. These turtles are lethal, a bit abrasive, but not cruel, and they love to have a good time. It's a tricky balance but that's what makes TMNT special.

Nickelodeon and IDW would be encouraged to continue what they're doing. I think they've both taken to their respective markets, strongly. Nick had kids buying TMNTsneakers and backpacks all over again and IDW has boldly carved it's own direction with a lot of love and care. Even if these two sections of the franchise aren't really doing it for me personally, I think they're doing good work. Once the rest of the franchise is healthier, I think little tweaks, like giving IDW more creative freedom would be doable.

As a pet project, I would look to what DC is doing with their animated adaptions. That means first trying to deduce whether there a strong market for mature animated adaptions, like their recent "Batman: The Killing Joke". If we could do what DC is doing, with even slightly better animation, I think that's something hardcore fans would really love to see. Adaptions of Mirage or IDW stories.

Overall, I think what the TMNT need most is a healthy film franchise. That's what will give us the boost we need. That will propel the rest. Everything else is doing it's job, but the strong film and animated adaptions will give us the full package and inspire whatever needs to come next.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #86
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Nah, it would probably end up more Quantum Leap with split personality disorders.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #87
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Nah, it would probably end up more Quantum Leap with split personality disorders.
Perhaps the Mandela effect, where people have memories of an alternate universe with no Bayturtles?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #88
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I wouldn't change a thing. Everything was destined perfectly.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #89
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I wouldn't change a thing. Everything was destined perfectly.
Aw, now this made my day. I had almost forgot about this thread I started last summer, and I'm glad somebody had the frame of mind to stay positive. After all that was said and done before, I didn't expect anybody to really care what this ghost from the past has to say, but hey stuff happens. Have a great new year, everyone!!!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #90
Mondo_Gecko
Stone Warrior

I'm so sorry, Jeph, I never come on here anymore. What a great thread. Sorry, I'm just posting now.

Firstly, make Michelangelo, an actual three dimensional character. Don't make him stupid. Show his excitement, his artistic side, his humor, but never dumb or stunt his intelligence for a joke.

I think what I've always wanted for TMNT, is a) more world building and character development. Second, adaptations of the Archie stories and characters.

I liked some of the ideas Ciro, presented in the 2012 iteration such as amalgamating certain things from previous iterations but I disliked how as the series went on it became more about doing homages to horror movies, 80s action movies and less on the world they already created. Another thing was, throwing in random characters such as Neutrinos, Tokka or Belly Bomb, that were different in characters and name only to appease nostalgia.

Everyone knows how much I LOVE mutants. My iteration would involve a Mutant War Arc that would see all the mutants temporarily having alliances due to Dirk Savage and the Anti Turtle Squad (two great ideas that I wish were developed further)

Since I was a kid, I've always wanted to see the Archie roster of the Mighty Mutanimals animated. So Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Mondo Gecko, Leatherhead, Wingnut and Screwloose would be recurring characters. With Slash, Candy Fine popping in when needed.

I would do arcs of the world tours to South America, Asia, Middle East, Nepal etc. I loved the Turtles traveling with Splinter in Archie and I feel that developing that further and introducing mutants from other countries such as Katmandu, Al Fal'Qua, Warrior Dragon and making them actual characters would be ideal. Spending time in the various cities and countries and allowing the Turtles to breathe in new cultures.

I also think doing an arc where the Turtles meet Cudley the Cowlick and Stump & Sling on Stump Asteroid with Raph keeping the black suit for awhile could be fun.

How nobody has never included Null in ANY animated series is beyond me? He is one of the most fascinating villains in TMNT lore imo. I would love to have multiple villains to distinguish from Shredder and Krang and bringing in Null and Maligna, Scull & Bean could present a real world threat unlike the personal conflict between Shredder and Splinter.

The Punk Frogs would ACTUALLY have personalities. They would keep their weapons and their training from Shredder and would be early antagonists as he spends several episodes training the Frogs. They should be a legitimate threat to the Turtles and match their strength and skill. They would have their own adventures in Florida. I'd like Leatherhead to be an adversary before he becomes good and eventually joins The Mighty Mutanimals. I'd love the Frogs to have their own base and their own enemies.

Despite Cubed's opinion on the matter, they're are NO BAD CHARACTERS, only bad writing. Any good, creative writer can make ANY character interesting. I've loved Ace Duck and thought he had a ton of potential since I got his toy as a kid. I'd make him a fighter Pilot, that accidentally mutated and used his new mutation and circumstance to become a spy. He would help Donatello build the blimp and a helicopter as well as occasionally going on missions with Chameleon. Think Jason Bourne with the intellect of Sherlock. Ace Duck is who the Turtles go to when things get real.

Have Rahzer and Tokka's personalities from "Dirk Savage: Mutant Hunter" Show their friendship. Have them always around New York.

It's ok to have multiple Turtles whether, it's Slash, Tokka or even Venus. Just distinguish them. Slash can have the rage and isolation from Archie, Tokka can be lonely and carry his weariness and Venus can be a another turtle trained in martial arts without being their long lost sister. I've always wanted an episode of just the women with April, Mona Lisa, Irma, Candy Fine, Ninjara, Alopex, Karai and Venus having an adventure.

I always wanted to make Mutagen Man and Muckman, tragic characters. Give them some depth, make Mutagen Man unstable due to his need of Mutagen where he can become irrational. He's not an friend or an adversary but someone who is always around while the Turtles desperately look for a cure, which they eventually find. Muckman would be an ally and a sewer neighbor.

Which segways into the next thought, which is develop more of the sewer world and it's hierarchy. You would have the Turtles, Splinter, Mondo Gecko (before he joins the Mutanimals), Rat King, Muckman, Mona Lisa (Before she departs with Ninjara, Alopex and Squirrel Girl), Wyrm and Scumbug and Ray all vying for territory. Actually have scenes with Mondo and Mikey skateboarding, Rat King meeting Wyrm and Scumbug. Ray popping up to cause trouble and allying with who would suit his needs.

There would be MORE HUMANS without them constantly getting mutated. You could have April's life at Channel Six, her ongoing friendship with Irma, her disdain for her co-worker Verne and boss, Burne. You would have Casey as a vigilante, Keno as the Turtles regular pizza boy. I'd spend more time with Bradford and Xever before they are mutated. I'd keep one of the mad scientists, probably combine Dr. Polydorious and Captain Filch into one person who discovers the mutagen and uses it for their own purposes, that way you have someone that provides a rivalry to Donatello that matches his intellect and keep the Turtles on their toes. I've always wanted to have Pizza Face be a recurring villain, trying to destroy the Turtles after watching Burne's editorials.

Regarding the Mutagen. It would be similar to Fred Wolf and Archie where it would be CONSISTENT. No more of the Ciro and Aumen school of thought where "this would look really cool" Spider Bytes and Dogpound would be proportional as well as threatening.

I'd keep the faction of Shredder's mutants but would have them split up. But I like the idea of him threatening Bebop, Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, Dogpound, Fishface into servitude and loyalty. As well as the rest of the gang he experimented on in the first episodes of Feed Wolf. I would keep Bebop & Rocksteady as they were in first season, dumb but threatening but also include their naivety from Archie where they would occasionally be good hearted and introspective.

Finally, just DEVELOP the characters we actually have. It's ok to have a big roster of characters to play with but like Game of Thrones, UTILIZE them! I like the idea of having Snakeweed having to convert humans into food. Develop him, show the pain and rage he feels being mutated and the utter contempt for what he now has to do to survive. Allow April to grow, train, date Casey or Chin (Warrior Dragon), for Splinter to go on missions with his sons. To have occasional episodic stories where they meet The Uncanny Trio or go to Atlantis to find the first use of mutagen with the citizens and Merdude. Have more women whether they're humans like April's friend and camerawoman, Oyuki or mutants like Alopex, Mona Lisa, Ninjara.

Most importantly even though I want characters and stories from various previous incarnations, include new stories, characters.

Sorry, it's a tad long but I just got going hahahaha

Last edited by Mondo_Gecko; 02-03-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Mondo_Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #91
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I'd probably try to get Netflix to make an adaption of the IDW comics with Tradd Moore or James Stokoe in charge of the character designs and have the people who did Lastman and Spectacular Spiderman to direct the animation. Though I would make a few changes like the Savate ninjas/Phantom gang being more of a threat.If its successful enough we might adapt some of the Micro series with different animators.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #92
ryukenden
Hench Mutant

I would keep the series more in line with Mirage and IDW. I wouldn't make Mikey more and more obnoxious.
ryukenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #93
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I'd probably try to get Netflix to make an adaption of the IDW comics with Tradd Moore or James Stokoe in charge of the character designs and have the people who did Lastman and Spectacular Spiderman to direct the animation. Though I would make a few changes like the Savate ninjas/Phantom gang being more of a threat.If its successful enough we might adapt some of the Micro series with different animators.
So IDW, but expanded to take better advantage of the long-form storytelling available through the TV medium? That would be ****ing dope.

IDW has so many great stories and some of them had to be a bit rushed in the comics, so taking more time with them would be really, really cool. Like you said, the Savate could be more fleshed out, the Ghost Boys, the Street Phantoms, the Mafia, all of that would be cool. I'd also like to see Donnie's time as a cyborg extended, as in the comics he's really barely inside Metalhead for more than a day/night. I'm sure there are other stories I can't think of at the moment
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #94
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
THIS! Very much this! All of the above! But, I'd get PL's approval before green-lighting Mirage Vol. 5, because I don't want to step on his toes if he gets the inspiration to do one last Vol. 4 issue (I always figured that was why IDW was it's own universe). I'd also commission Murphy and Allen to finally make "The Forever War" which would be published as a graphic novel and likely adapted into a DTV movie (see below).

If I went the two shows route, I think I'd rather let the live-action show be the "kiddie show" to sell the toys, and the animated show would be a more serious take for older fans that combines Mirage, Archie, and original elements. Animation is a more important medium to me than live action. There would also be another TF/Transdimensional Turtles type special that features the Mirage Turtles more heavily and doesn't do the "Mirage Turtles are scary" thing.

And, on that note, the main thing I would do is have a line of direct to video "TMNT Multiverse" animated movies! They would be similar to the "DC Universe" animated movies that WB releases. There would be direct "Panel to screen" adaptations of memorable and important story-lines from Mirage, Archie, and IDW, as well as new adventures in the discontinued TV show universes (like a new FW or 4Kids TMNT adventure). "Return to NY", "City at War" and "Souls Winter" would be at the top of my list.

I'd also try to get a heavily Mirage-based live action theatrical film series off the ground, but that would just be "icing".
I also think that the Tokusatsu-ish route for the kid show would work well, especially for the sake of re-using costumes and props. They get done faster, too. Again, the “Turtles Meet World” approach is fun, and opens up the door wide for non-Foot and even non-combat challenges to the cast. Limitations breed creativity, so the development of characters who are in the show could be focused on above introducing fresh characters on a whim. And I wouldn’t say that the show would have to use every toy character made, helping Playmates to have their motor run better. Could also even use the live action characters in Muppet-like guest spots for other shows.

I’d let IDW keep doing what they’re doing, and maybe even buy a little stake in them to keep them safe. With Mirage, i’d allow for printing of all the unreleased material from before the sale, and perhaps even allow IDW to step in to finish the loose ends in Tales much like with Archie and Image. Also maybe revive Amazing Adventures to try and keep making it its own thing. I’d also try to get the comic strip, the magazine comics, and foreign comics re-released and translated, in treasuries.

Speaking of which, i’d be interested in gaining control over remaining franchise assets, such as the OT, TNM, and character rights such as Aska, Bloodsucker, etc. Make sure it can all see release again. Probably have to introduce a new RPG series rather than just bring back Other Strangeness. (Though I do think a “special edition” re-release megabook could be a cool treat for nostalgics, but most likely they’ll just be released digitally.)

I’d likely even do a “Konami Collection” of their past entries, arcade, console, handheld, and PC. The “Ubisoft Collection” could come later, probably as a DLC for the “Konami Collection” (maybe an “Activision Pack” after that?). Newer games would be under a non-exclusive licence to make them for gaming’s sake.

A more esoteric item that could be done is “The Worst of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”, a compilation of the likes of the Dreamwave series, the May East Saga, and Vol 4. No.#22, with plenty of riffing done courtesy of Cudley the Cowlick and the Gyoji. If this does well enough, a video release with the Baytles, the direct to video stuff, etc. could be done. Or at the very least, have riffing (with video framing segments!) available for the Baytles Collection.

I’d let NECA keep doing what they’re doing, and try to revive the 2003 CCG (or put the franchise in the Vs. System somehow).

(Oh, and probably acquire Usagi when Sakai kicks the bucket)

Last edited by miru; 08-29-2018 at 02:17 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #95
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Gecko View Post

Since I was a kid, I've always wanted to see the Archie roster of the Mighty Mutanimals animated. So Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Mondo Gecko, Leatherhead, Wingnut and Screwloose would be recurring characters. With Slash, Candy Fine popping in when needed.

I would do arcs of the world tours to South America, Asia, Middle East, Nepal etc. I loved the Turtles traveling with Splinter in Archie and I feel that developing that further and introducing mutants from other countries such as Katmandu, Al Fal'Qua, Warrior Dragon and making them actual characters would be ideal. Spending time in the various cities and countries and allowing the Turtles to breathe in new cultures.

I also think doing an arc where the Turtles meet Cudley the Cowlick and Stump & Sling on Stump Asteroid with Raph keeping the black suit for awhile could be fun.

How nobody has never included Null in ANY animated series is beyond me? He is one of the most fascinating villains in TMNT lore imo. I would love to have multiple villains to distinguish from Shredder and Krang and bringing in Null and Maligna, Scull & Bean could present a real world threat unlike the personal conflict between Shredder and Splinter.
This. So much. These (and Cherubae and the Turnstone) are the Archie elements I'd like to see appear in animation someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru
I also think that the Tokusatsu-ish route for the kid show would work well, especially for the sake of re-using costumes and props. They get done faster, too. Again, the “Turtles Meet World” approach is fun, and opens up the door wide for non-Foot and even non-combat challenges to the cast. Limitations breed creativity, so the development of characters who are in the show could be focused on above introducing fresh characters on a whim. And I wouldn’t say that the show would have to use every toy character made, helping Playmates to have their motor run better. Could also even use the live action characters in Muppet-like guest spots for other shows.
Exactly. Also, given the limitations of live action (or even live-action/CGI hybrid) on a TV/Netflix budget. It would be easier for kids to accept it's flaws than the adults. Think Next Mutation, done right.

Meanwhile, adults could have a cool dark Mirage-based animated series where creatures like Utroms and Triceretons (not to mention the turtles themselves) can be pulled off more convincingly.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #96
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
This. So much. These (and Cherubae and the Turnstone) are the Archie elements I'd like to see appear in animation someday.

Exactly. Also, given the limitations of live action (or even live-action/CGI hybrid) on a TV/Netflix budget. It would be easier for kids to accept it's flaws than the adults. Think Next Mutation, done right.

Meanwhile, adults could have a cool dark Mirage-based animated series where creatures like Utroms and Triceretons (not to mention the turtles themselves) can be pulled off more convincingly.
And we could also recycle surviving props & costumes from previous live-action TMNT material, and even refurbish them for possible crossovers. And maybe we could establish this to be in the Schneiderverse or SpongeBob/BTR-verse, perhaps even linking them. The Turtles & co end up finding themselves in Encino where they meet Patchy the Pirate and his puppet parrot Potty, and then they decide to look for the legendary Bikini Bottom, which is recorded on iCarly. And maybe Plankton builds a super-robot based on our heroes to go after them. This could result in a team up episode between the TMNT, Punk Frogs, Mutanimals, Henry Danger, Thundermans, LAMOS, & IJLSA/SpongeBob and Co's superhero aliases. Is this a good idea? Or should things be kept apart?

Vam Mi definitely needs a revamp after all these years. And so does Mitsu. We should get the Creature Shop on board to do the new costumes for the mutants, as well as Utrom handpuppets, Neutrino prosthetics, etc. (Going for a roughly IDW-based reality) Finally seeing a Pizzaface that looks more like the toy would be a highlight.
I have a great solution to the problem of Venus (& Kirby); possibly having the IDW Raph plot with them? They'd be stranded from the other turtles by some force (maybe we could have Picasso from the IDW series as well, perhaps in a Pulverizer-ish role?)

And can we call it We Are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, please?

Given live action nick shows tend to be driven by musical albums, we could also do a few of those. Maybe also throw in some of the show scores, stuff from older shows, and maybe even some CD drama type deals?

A more interesting development will be when mutants are finally exposed to the public, the TMNT have to hide only their lives as ninjas, rather than existing. Mike's poetry knack from Mirage could finally be used well, also tying in with the albums. Perhaps he subconsciously writes on his own past life?

Last edited by miru; 09-09-2018 at 09:52 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote