The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #61
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Wow, that universal tournament teaser was....something. Some of the character designs definitely reflect that classic Toriyama style. About the elephant and clown gods of destruction: I read somewhere that they seem to be based off of Japanese deities/legends from their folklore. As for the attendant with the pigtails, I guess he just designed her like that, I really doubt it was a reference to Harly Quinn/Joker.

Female Broly is kinda weird. It's really strange seeing his design with a shirt on and breasts. Maybe the girls from a gender swapped universe? She kinda looks like a female pre-LSS Broly don'tcha think?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #62
Slade
god status

Until she transforms and looks exactly like Broly, even the green hair, which doesn't even make sense anyway.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

She's from Cabba's world I assume, it's an alternate universe anyway so the rule of Universe 7 may not apply there.

We already have Frost who is just an alternate Freeza, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other alternate characters. I'm surprised they didn't introduce some new kind of superpowered Namek either from Universe 6.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #64
Slade
god status

Yeah that's what everyone is saying. If she is from U6, I really hope there's a good explanation as to how. I agree too, there should be something for Piccolo to obtain. The Namekians have the Book of Knowledge that knew about Super Saiyan God, so maybe there's something in there. Think that would be pretty dope.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have to say nearly all of Super's "fillers" if you can even call them that, have been great and entertaining. There's something about the humor in Super that's really enjoyable, I can't pinpoint what it is exactly but its a bit different than the humor back in either Dragonball or DBZ.

I think it's because now the writers are writing the show with the knowledge of how popular the franchise was in the past, and throwing in winks, meme's, and nods toward the audience. Yamcha's baseball episode being a perfect example of that.

Most of Super has a lot of nostalgia pandering going on it too, so that might be it as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #66
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Yeah that's what everyone is saying. If she is from U6, I really hope there's a good explanation as to how. I agree too, there should be something for Piccolo to obtain. The Namekians have the Book of Knowledge that knew about Super Saiyan God, so maybe there's something in there. Think that would be pretty dope.
I want to see something like Piccolo having to fuse with his father in hell. Or ending up to fuse with some kind of Cell (Legion) thing after absorbing all the inmates of hell, Piccolo fuses with him (using his cells in Cell as a loophole) and Piccolo is able to be the "Devil" to Goku's "god"
Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #67
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yamcha's baseball episode being a perfect example of that.
That episode had me roflmao. I did really like the recent episodes with the Great Saiyaman movie. The crossover with Dr. Slump was weird but hilarious. I could have sworn these two shows had crossovered before, though.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #68
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Until she transforms and looks exactly like Broly, even the green hair, which doesn't even make sense anyway.
careful, you'll be seen as complaining about something and that's frowned on around here ;o)...

but yeah. does she turn into a man, too, or is she just so muscley, she LOOKS like brolly when she transforms?

I finally saw the teaser. No matter how talented a person is, some of the characters are BOUND to look alike...and he DOES have to draw 12 or more new ones. that's a tough challenge for anyone no matter how goodyou are.

I bet you anything the clown came out of a frustration of trying to make them look like they are all in the same series, but different ;o).
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

Toriyama's designs for characters has always come in all shapes and sizes. The first time the various villains in DBZ was introduced they probably looked strange to people, but now we're all used to them.

This is the same man who designed characters like Mr. Popo, Korin, King Kai, a 3 eyed man, whatever the hell Chiaotzu is supposed to be, Freeza's various forms, etc.

Toriyama comes up with great designs.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #70
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
That episode had me roflmao. I did really like the recent episodes with the Great Saiyaman movie. The crossover with Dr. Slump was weird but hilarious. I could have sworn these two shows had crossovered before, though.
They did. In the original Dragon Ball manga/anime during the Red Ribbon saga. And in the 1997 Dr. Slump anime remake, in which Goku visited Penguin Village.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #71
Allio
Foot Elite

pregnant Bulma

Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yet Trunks and Goten still look like little kids. The lack of new designs for them when they're supposed to be teenagers now is getting absurd.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #73
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah, Bra had to come sooner or later. To be fair the preview didn't show the kids, but I'm guessing they're too lazy to age them up.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah, Bra had to come sooner or later. To be fair the preview didn't show the kids, but I'm guessing they're too lazy to age them up.
Which is absurd. At the end of DBZ, Trunks and Goten are fully grown adults while Bra is 3 and Pan is 4....so are we expected to believe Trunks/Goten go from their little kid selves to fully grown adults in 3 years time?
Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #75
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Which is absurd. At the end of DBZ, Trunks and Goten are fully grown adults while Bra is 3 and Pan is 4....so are we expected to believe Trunks/Goten go from their little kid selves to fully grown adults in 3 years time?
They were actually teenagers at the end of DBZ and didn't become adults until *shudders* GT. So they should be teens now.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #76
Allio
Foot Elite

Marron is 7 or 8 and is still treated like she is two
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #77
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Yet Trunks and Goten still look like little kids. The lack of new designs for them when they're supposed to be teenagers now is getting absurd.
That's consistent with original Dragon Ball at least, where Goku and Krillin aged 3-5 years or so without growing much at all, and then suddenly were their adult heights after the last time-skip.

Gohan did grow a little more subtly, though. So... I guess it's consistently inconsistent?

Basically Toriyama doesn't care too much about those details so you just kind of have to roll with it.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

Gohan was the only kid character in the series who actually aged naturally throughout the show.

It just bugs me that Trunks and Goten look just like they do in the Buu arc...when Super takes place at least 3-4 years later.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #79
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
That's consistent with original Dragon Ball at least, where Goku and Krillin aged 3-5 years or so without growing much at all, and then suddenly were their adult heights after the last time-skip.

Gohan did grow a little more subtly, though. So... I guess it's consistently inconsistent?

Basically Toriyama doesn't care too much about those details so you just kind of have to roll with it.
Yeah, Gohan's clothes, hairstyle and overall married life outlook really helps show he's not the same high schooler from the Buu saga. But yeah, Goten and Trunks should start looking like they do in those final dbz Eps by now.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah, Gohan's clothes, hairstyle and overall married life outlook really helps show he's not the same high schooler from the Buu saga. But yeah, Goten and Trunks should start looking like they do in those final dbz Eps by now.
Gohan was only 16 in the Buu arc. He's in his early 20's now.