Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Facebook or Instagram profile
Social media only moves focus from the website's topic (in thse cases the fandom) to the person behind.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #22
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
That's one of the things I miss from the older internet days. Back then A LOT of people had their own websites or made several webpages on websites like geocities, angelfire, tripod, etc. Most of the times the websites were either amateurish or not exactly made with a lot of resources, but you could feel the passion just from looking at them. All the pages I made on geocities when I was a kid/teenager were terrible, but I had A LOT of fun making them.

Nowadays the internet is too centralised. Everyone goes on the same core websites. And most people no longer make their own websites. I don't think places where you can create your own webpages for free such as geocities, tripod, angelfire, etc. are a thing any longer. Nowadays people would rather just make a Facebook or Instagram profile or something like that.

The internet has improved tenfold in terms of speed and accessibility since the early 2000s, but a lot of cool stuff was lost in the way as well. Fansites were always cool to check. Nowadays everything just feels too corporate. Back then it truly seemed like the internet was an ocean and that you were actually surfing on it.
Great post! Sums it up nicely. Although I don't miss the ugly web servers like Geocities, Angel Fire, etc I do miss the personality that shone through.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #23
Overlord

Even this Technodrome website used to be a fansite once. Now it's mostly a community.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Even this Technodrome website used to be a fansite once. Now it's mostly a community.
Yes it did, that was my first port of call here. I mean has the front page ever been updated?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #25
Overlord

July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I mean has the front page ever been updated?
Except for the Halloween anniversaries, not since July 2013.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #26
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Except for the Halloween anniversaries, not since July 2013.
I get that impression but I am glad this forum is still so active.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #27
Overlord

Quote:
I get that impression but I am glad this forum is still so active.
Yes, we had the most number of users online at the same time as late as 30 November 2015. That's many years after the deaths of many other communities.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #28
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
HOLY SH*T, REALLY?!
yep. I had one of the first ninja turtle fan sites up, IIRC. Even before here and the official site.

At the time, I only remember one other. it wasn't ninjaturtles.com or the licensee site...but another fan site that as I recall had some rather interesting series info. but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it. it didn't last more than a few years.

as for my site....I had accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. I had talked to most of the cast members, done interviews with others. tried to find all the turtle related items I could. and by the time 4kids emerged, there where other, better websites out there with more resources to design them than I ever had.. so it was time to close up shop.

I thought about re opening it as a .org a few years ago, but I just don't have the passion I did. Even as a blog, I wouldn't update it as much as I used to.

But, it's nice to know people still remember it.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #29
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yep. I had one of the first ninja turtle fan sites up, IIRC. Even before here and the official site.

At the time, I only remember one other. it wasn't ninjaturtles.com or the licensee site...but another fan site that as I recall had some rather interesting series info. but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it. it didn't last more than a few years.

as for my site....I had accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. I had talked to most of the cast members, done interviews with others. tried to find all the turtle related items I could. and by the time 4kids emerged, there where other, better websites out there with more resources to design them than I ever had.. so it was time to close up shop.

I thought about re opening it as a .org a few years ago, but I just don't have the passion I did. Even as a blog, I wouldn't update it as much as I used to.

But, it's nice to know people still remember it.
I loved your old site! You thinking of Mikey's Tmnt site?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #30
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I loved your old site! You thinking of Mikey's Tmnt site?
I don't think so. this site might have gone back to even as far as 1992. and it was just all text info as I recall.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yes, we had the most number of users online at the same time as late as 30 November 2015.
I wonder who most of those people were, and what was coming out around that time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I don't think so. this site might have gone back to even as far as 1992. and it was just all text info as I recall.
There were no websites in 1992, unless you're talking about BBSes. Maybe 1996 and up.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #32
Overlord

November 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wonder who most of those people were, and what was coming out around that time...
Out of the Shadows had some news reveal in early December 2015, but I don't think they were out already in late November that year.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Out of the Shadows had some news reveal in early December 2015, but I don't think they were out already in late November that year.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #34
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

There were no websites in 1992, unless you're talking about BBSes. Maybe 1996 and up.
it's such an old site, it's possible. but I think this one was literally one of the first sites ever with info.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Great post! Sums it up nicely. Although I don't miss the ugly web servers like Geocities, Angel Fire, etc I do miss the personality that shone through.
Most of those websites were kinda lousy or basic in design, since they were often made by kids/teenagers such as myself at the time. But it was thanks to one of those crappy Geocities webpages that I discovered the MissingNo glitch/cheat in Pokémon Red or how to unlock Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Melee . Nowadays you can just easily go on youtube and discover such things, but you most likely have to put up with some annoying youtuber talking for 5-10 minutes straight before getting to the point. Plus, it's also too easy. Back then you accidentally found cheats and secrets through fanmade websites or through video game magazines. It was a lot more exciting.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #36
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Nowadays you can just easily go on youtube and discover such things, but you most likely have to put up with some annoying youtuber talking for 5-10 minutes straight before getting to the point.
No no. Nowadays you just easily go on youtube and discover such things, put up with a an unskippable commercial for 30 seconds and then put up with some annoying youtuber talking for 5-10 minutes straight before getting to the point.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #37
jazzmatazz
Foot Soldier

I got into collecting around the time Playmates had a figure archive.... it was neat to see them care enough to do that for the fans.

Quote:

Nowadays the internet is too centralised. Everyone goes on the same core websites. And most people no longer make their own websites. I don't think places where you can create your own webpages for free such as geocities, tripod, angelfire, etc. are a thing any longer. Nowadays people would rather just make a Facebook or Instagram profile or something like that.
Weebly is still free! I run an Oliver & company merch guide. Mostly ebay photo sourced since I don't collect like I used to.

Quote:
No no. Nowadays you just easily go on youtube and discover such things, put up with a an unskippable commercial for 30 seconds and then put up with some annoying youtuber talking for 5-10 minutes straight before getting to the point.
I'm not sure how long youtube is going to last with any quality content with the new policy updates this week. Kind of a dumpster fire right now on the youtube reddit.
jazzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #38
snake
Disgusting

As charming as they were, I am personally extremely thankful I can view a wikipedia article listing every OT episode and not have to worry if the information is accurate or not. Old fansites like these are how misinformation spread in fandoms. Thank God for canon-nerds and their wikis.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:25 AM   #39
Xav
Foot Elite

You actually think wikipedia is accurate? I have found much more misinformation on wikis than I ever did on any fansites.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:00 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

To Snake's cred, the actual wikis of hardcore fanbases are pretty well guarded.

With some exceptions. Some asshole keeps deleting my stuff on the Highlander wikis about when Connor died.