The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

What do you think Viacom will do with the TMNT franchise ...

...after the current generation is over?

I think Viacom will take a break from creating new TMNT content for the rest of the decade. In the 2020's though, I think they will try to revive the franchise through different methods, such as gaining adult viewership/attention, creating more serious stories, etc.

That is my take on it. What is yours? Discuss below.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I think they'll have a new cartoon in development immediately after this one ends. It's a hot property, & with the right stuff behind it, one that can be evergreen. Real-time visual media aside, I don't doubt they'd keep rolling out merch.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What I think they will do... I have no idea. I just hope they don't put it aside and let it sit there for too long or forever.

What I would love to see them do, within a few years of the current series ending, is create another series with older Turtles for a mid/older-teen and adult audience; either something that works as a continuation of the current series with new, older character designs, OR try a more traditional 2D series that is unrelated to the present show, but still with older characters.

Counter to what I'd once thought... I'm a little curious how well the 2014 Turtles would work in a [edit: well written] 2D series. I blame some of the good fan art out there has made them look pretty decent in a cleaner, 2D style.

For the younger set (and heck... for us too for that matter lol) I would not be surprised if Half Shell Heroes ever expanded into it's own series someday. Or at the very least a continued, increasing series of specials.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

After the Nick cartoon ends they'll probably let it rest for about 5 years before starting again.

The IDW comic will continue to go on itself until sales get so low they have to end, but that probably won't happen for a while. IDW TMNT is probably going to outlive the Nick cartoon by years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This has been my concern since they bought them and I've posted many times about this here. Viacom is not a afraid of shelving evergreen properties after they already got everything from their initial investment. Right now they're licensing tons of stuff and we have new movies/comics/shows but once this dies down I don't think they'll just reboot it in 5 years.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

What I HOPE they'd do: Sell it to someone who can take care of it better.

What they'll probably do: Shelve it for 5-10 years until there's a new generation of nose-pickers to sell plastic to, then do a relaunch that's exactly as juvenile and kiddified and half-assed as what we have now.

But we've definitely seen the highest heights that this franchise will ever see. Hold no illusions about that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

In another decades time the IDW comics will have over 100+ issues to mine story material from.

The next cartoon should be an adaption of the IDW comics into episodes. Maybe with some changes here and there like 4kids did with Mirage, but bring the IDW stuff to animation.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd honestly be pretty surprised if IDW someday starts heavily influencing canon. For one thing, not a lot of people are aware of it, still. Secondly, it's not Fred Wolf, which has been preordained to be the template all future TMNT works are derived from.

I mean maybe, I guess, I just doubt it. Maybe an anime-inspired cartoon would take the reincarnation angle. And maybe a few characters from the book might sneak into a cartoon in name-only form. But that's really all I can see.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of IDW is essentially a mature take on the Fred Wolf series mixed in with Mirage and 4kids. The series has Krang, Bebop/Rocksteady, Rock Soldiers and Neutrinos, Dimension X, the Technodrome, a whole bunch of mutants from the Archie and original series like Slash and Mondo Gecko, tons of random references to the 80's show, and so forth.

Only difference is they also have a lot of Mirage and 4kids elements too like Hun, Karai, Baxter, Rat King, Leatherhead, Fugitoid, Triceratons, Angel, Purple Dragons, Foot Soldiers are human ninja, etc.

IDW is basically a mix of everything.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

But again, if someone uses Bebop and Rocksteady in a future version, even if they more resemble the IDW version of the characters, it's STILL primarily a reference to FW because that's where it started.

The fact that IDW is, at best, "a blend of everything" is all the more reason why its own mythology will never supercede those others.

The most prominent thing IDW brings to the table all its own is the reincarnation origin, and that can only work in very, very selective circumstances. Not that it couldn't ever be attempted, but really, that's the only thing IDW has of its own, independent from any other version. I can see characters like Aloplex showing up in other versions, but they'll probably be "In Name Only" like Karai and others have been.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #11
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

The characters may be used in other incarnations, but we have to remember that IDW has its own stories, which is why it got the (albeit small) fame that it got. I'm pretty sure there's enough material in there for a series.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I was going to say, "Give it the Teen Titans GO! treatment," but they've already done that too.

Probably drop it like a bad habit.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I don't see the franchise remaining dormant for long. Especially as long as the industry is so IP-focused. Nick bought it to exploit and milk as hard as possible. I don't see it coming out of the "kids property" focus anytime soon, though.

Personally, I feel that Viacom is missing out by not having a more mature-focused series of media to accompany the current stuff. Something like what DC is doing with the animated movies.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Personally, I feel that Viacom is missing out by not having a more mature-focused series of media to accompany the current stuff. Something like what DC is doing with the animated movies.
You are not alone in this. Doesn't seem likely we'll get something like that, though, even if there's plenty of material ripe for an animated feature.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #15
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You are not alone in this. Doesn't seem likely we'll get something like that, though, even if there's plenty of material ripe for an animated feature.
Maybe by the time the current target demographic is in their late teens the pendulum will swing the other way, and we'll get a return to Mirage. In an effort to cash in on their nostalgia, while limiting the cringe factor
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior

I never saw the details of the Viacom deal or if they ever released the details. Do they have it indefinitely or was it a timed contract type of thing or do we not know?
Zak The Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

They own it, period.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd love to see the IDW comics adapted into a direct-to-DVD mini-series in 1:1 adaption with no filler. Just the exact stories in animation, no changes, no filler, and using the main Mateus Sato designs.

It would probably only take one 26 episode season to adapt all 50+ issues of IDW right now including all the mini's. About 3 comics can become 1 episode.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'd love to see the IDW comics adapted into a direct-to-DVD mini-series in 1:1 adaption with no filler. Just the exact stories in animation, no changes, no filler, and using the main Mateus Sato designs.

It would probably only take one 26 episode season to adapt all 50+ issues of IDW right now including all the mini's. About 3 comics can become 1 episode.
Now this I could totally get behind. This is the exact kind of thing I'd want to see. The only other thing is I'd like to also have it released on Bluray. Something that good needs to be experienced in the best possible visual clarity.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Now this I could totally get behind. This is the exact kind of thing I'd want to see.
Which is probably exactly why Viacom's never going to do it. I won't lie, I want to see this too, but dear god are they terrible when it comes to figuring out what the fans want. Just look at the 2003 DVD releases. *shiver*
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote