The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Nickelodeon hate us?
Yes 10 27.03%
No 15 40.54%
I hate them back 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #61
Ninjinister
無問題

I find it so disconcerting that people spend so much time being angry at things that aren't meant for them.

If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter. You aren't the target audience for most of this franchise's existence. You may never be again.

I mean if it turns out to be something I don't like... I might keep up with it just enough to make sure people don't fake news the S**t out of the Wiki but if it weren't for that I would just ignore it. There have been several incarnations of things I once enjoyed that weren't to my liking that I just straight up never thought about.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

While I agree, I can see why TMNT is a different case compared to other franchises. For one thing TMNT hasn't really been around all that long. It's not like it has 70+ years of history like Superman/Batman or 50+ years like Spiderman and X-men with dozens of comics, cartoons, movies, etc.

For a long time the TMNT franchise was very small. It really only consists of 3 cartoons, 3 main comic series (Mirage, Archie and IDW), and some movies. Of course there's all the extra stuff like toys/videogames/other comic spinoffs, etc....but if you mean the big stuff it's pretty small.

When you realize there's like 100+ different incarnations of Batman out there, both for adults and for little kids, nobody cares. But TMNT doesn't have that many incarnations so it's weird to see the franchise go in a direction people aren't used to.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #63
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I find it so disconcerting that people spend so much time being angry at things that aren't meant for them.

If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter. You aren't the target audience for most of this franchise's existence. You may never be again.

I mean if it turns out to be something I don't like... I might keep up with it just enough to make sure people don't fake news the S**t out of the Wiki but if it weren't for that I would just ignore it. There have been several incarnations of things I once enjoyed that weren't to my liking that I just straight up never thought about.
True, but well... here's the thing. You can be upset about a current incarnation of a thing that is selling itself short, populating said low-balled idea of a thing whose potential you wholly realize, even if you're not remotely the targeted audience.

Because guess what happens next? You get a generation of people growing up thinking that's the real deal. It's not.

It's a little like... World War I veterans, if they had the clairvoyance to know WWII was coming, because we were there and knew what to do and what not to do, what worked and didn't work, even if the technology is a little different.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #64
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
well the good news is i'll save a lot of time and money if this is in fact legit.

no way i'd waste a red cent on the dvd of this, nor bother an afternoon on something so uninspired.

they should name it- 'Tmnt: Out of the Sewers and into the Toilet'
Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #65
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter.
i do not agree at all!

it might have been unbalanced, but at least the 2012 Nick series had something for old and new fans alike.

not at least trying to target some long-time fans, is what's called alienating.

Last edited by myconius; 08-01-2017 at 06:08 AM.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #66
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
True, but well... here's the thing. You can be upset about a current incarnation of a thing that is selling itself short, populating said low-balled idea of a thing whose potential you wholly realize, even if you're not remotely the targeted audience.

Because guess what happens next? You get a generation of people growing up thinking that's the real deal. It's not.

It's a little like... World War I veterans, if they had the clairvoyance to know WWII was coming, because we were there and knew what to do and what not to do, what worked and didn't work, even if the technology is a little different.
A well-made point, it just the only problem is... it's already too late for that.

Three generations have already been ingrained with other media adaptations that veer away from the source material- the 80/90's kids with fred wolf, the 2000's kids with the 4 kids series, and the most recent batch with Nick's TMNT series. Even if you peeled away the lighthearted Fred Wolf legacy, and darkened the material, a version that went as pure mirage as possible would probably only be seen as just another media incarnation by the casual fandom, possibly referred to as the 'dark turtles' or 'gritty TMNT'.

The genie is never going back into the bottle. New versions are going to keep coming, and as time passes, they are probably going to get even weirder than what we've seen so far. The only core elements that will probably be safe is the four mutant TMNT, raised by splinter, growing up in a city's sewer, and make friends with April and Casey- everything else will probably change, and change again. Sadly, pure TMNT only matters to a few individuals. Is that a really sad fact? Well, as the source material tells us, 'life, at best, is bittersweet'.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #67
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

So yeah, based on the confirmed-accurate information, and the blacked-out contact information in the corner, I'm assuming the leaked photo isn't a "fake" so much as it's one of many commissioned tentative/potential character designs made during development. (Obviously.)

So, y'know. They're going in a different direction. That much I think we knew, but I still feel that it has the hallmarks of attempts to "gimmick" up the concept to try to boost toy sales like we've seen in the past.

To answer the threat question: No. They don't care enough to "hate" us. Because really, this forum is a tiny collection of hardcore fans compared to the overall audience they're aiming at. There's nothing "good" or "bad" about that, it's just how the business works -- they're pursuing whatever path they think will bring in the most profit. Whether they're right or not remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
It could be worse, you could be getting no content at all like most Viacom properties that may want the opportunities of TMNT nowadays.
I'd be very okay with that. Sometimes it's good for a franchise to take a break for a while. The media market is oversaturated right now, and every corporation is trying to milk every property they own for constant, endless content. Sometimes these properties just kinda... burn out. Better to let them cool off for a while before the next cycle, IMO.

Last edited by Bry; 08-01-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #68
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
This is literally the latest two TMNT offerings from Nickelodeon:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3a92f67561.jpg

http://www.highlander-community.com/rise.jpg

Talk about a left AND a right hook.
Man alive. If they take color coding that far..........

Nick implying kids are stupid by making all accessories color coded... pads, wraps and bandana.... lol. Dumb it all down and its just dumb.

But folks will watch it and buy poorly made Playmates toys based off it... so money will still flow in for them.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #69
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
A well-made point, it just the only problem is... it's already too late for that.

Three generations have already been ingrained with other media adaptations that veer away from the source material- the 80/90's kids with fred wolf, the 2000's kids with the 4 kids series, and the most recent batch with Nick's TMNT series. Even if you peeled away the lighthearted Fred Wolf legacy, and darkened the material, a version that went as pure mirage as possible would probably only be seen as just another media incarnation by the casual fandom, possibly referred to as the 'dark turtles' or 'gritty TMNT'.
I still disagree to that notion. While the 1990 film had some sprinkles of FW in it, it still was more successful than the sequels were. Even the most hardcore FW fans love the film and it was more Mirage than it was FW. This and Deadpool, being low-budget films, were successful enough at box office to make a profit. And if TMNT's fanbase is as small as some say it is, filmmakers should easily be able to do a darker take such as Mirage and there would likely be less complaints. As someone who works at a movie theater, surprisingly I saw a lot of kids being taken to see Deadpool by their parents. One boy and a girl even brought their own Deadpool dolls, which is odd. With a lot of fans having nostalgic feelings towards the original movie, something similar towards that direction would definitely get good buzz.

Beating a dead horse, if Batman can escape the camp association, so can TMNT. Anyone who says otherwise is selling this property short!

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 08-01-2017 at 10:16 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #70
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter.
Maybe for a particular series, but as a whole...? There's a very willing older target audience that just wants to be one of the targets, not necessarily the only target, and yet so far few are willing to accept that offer.

It's not kids who are buying two of everything, it's not kids who are buying all these adult-intended collectables in a collectables market that took notice, and yet... where is the media (aside from comics) to support it...

Mostly, it's just sad.

I don't want to feel like they've stopped existing. Sure, there will always be the old stuff, but it's not the same as feeling like they're continuing to thrive. And if they turn them into, well, as 2014 Vernon would say, "froth," and dumbed down until there is no reason for young viewers to find attachment to the characters anymore or any reason to care to see them stick around, what is there really.

I'm glad though that in this day and age there are people in these businesses now who are equally fans and would gladly throw them a lifeline if able and hopefully someday will.

edit: I mean, we're not asking for something like Romper Room/Sesame Street/Blue's Clues to make an adult version, we're asking for something that was originally for an older audience to at least still partly be, and not limited to just one media form.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #71
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:

This is pretty much exactly what I did with the Next Mutation and the Image run.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I did with the Next Mutation and the Image run.
The Image run had some good stuff in it, you missed out.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #73
plastroncafe

I'm sure it did, but at the time weeding through the books for that some wasn't worth the expenditure.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

But the series was only 23 issues long, and the issues that were most skippable was the ones with the Image superhero crossovers. Skip those and everything else is there.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #75
plastroncafe

The hardsell isn't going to work on me, I don't have a time machine.
And if I did, going back in time to say: Hey! Instead of paying for textbooks and/or booze, maybe you should buy this ongoing monthly that isn't working for you.

Because...no.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord

That doesn't make sense though, many people go back and pick up comic runs years after they ended. I didn't collect all of Image until the early 2000's years after it concluded. You think you can't pick up comics after they end?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #77
Bircher
Thug

It seems they are trying to kill the franchise. They are doing to it what kills every other popular thing.

And saying that they are targeting a certain age demographic is bunk. My kids hate the crap they are pumping out in the name of TMNT.

If they were smart, they would try a couple different ways to reach the broad TMNT fan base.

a kid friendly cartoon

a annual or bi annual straight to DVD like DC does targeting fans of the Mirage line of comics.

Then perhaps a midrange to try and capture both. Kinda like IDW is doing.
Bircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #78
plastroncafe

No, I'm explaining why I didn't continue reading it when it was a live publication.

I read a couple of issues.
Didn't like them.
Stopped buying them.
Ignored the rest of the run.

No where did I say I haven't read it since, or don't have access to the issues.
As a series it's an interesting time capsule of one kind of 90s comic.
Especially since there's a damn near straight line from that incarnation to what we've got from the PD flicks.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #79
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
well the good news is i'll save a lot of time and money if this is in fact legit.

no way i'd waste a red cent on the dvd of this, nor bother an afternoon on something so uninspired.

they should name it- 'Tmnt: Out of the Sewers and into the Toilet'
Why would an artist choose to use two shades of purple like that? Needs more contrast. All the lighter purple/pink needs to be black. And the belt needs a complete redesign.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #80
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Can't remember if I asked yet (in the other thread?) or only thought it... but what's up with the purple straps on Donnie's shoulders? Shell and plastron not real or otherwise removable...?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cuck_blade, only_on_thursdays