The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #21
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I liked those green slime pies. I think they are still made. Werent they just traditional custard? Just not green or branded anymore.

I had the cereal bowl that came packaged on the box. Dont remember what the cereal tasted like though.

Always liked the truck-only face pops too. Have not bought any for awhile. Truck still goes around here but have not noticed since the virus.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #22
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I liked those green slime pies. I think they are still made. Werent they just traditional custard? Just not green or branded anymore.

I had the cereal bowl that came packaged on the box. Dont remember what the cereal tasted like though.

Always liked the truck-only face pops too. Have not bought any for awhile. Truck still goes around here but have not noticed since the virus.
There are Hostess apple and cherry pies, but the TMNT pudding pies have been discontinued since late 1991.

TMNT cereal was honey Chex (ninja nets), marshmallows (in the shape of the signature weapons of the turtles), and marshmallow dust all blended together. TMNT Cereal was discontinued in the Super Nintendo age as well.

Rise of the TMNT Tropical Punch Bars are in stores, but they are missing bubble gum eyes. You can buy them at department stores and some grocery stores. Unfortunately, Blue Bunny TMNT Bars are a thing of the past.

Also, it?s too bad that the candy toppers from 1990 (four turtles and Casey) did not take off. I would have loved to see Shredder, April, Splinter, and a Foot Soldier candy toppers. Here?s a picture to refresh your memory of what I?m talking about: https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/memora...r-donatello/#1
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

I remember that Heinz in the UK had some pasta shapes for the 2003 series. They were horrible, but taste < branding. There aren?t any pictures according to the Internet, so I was wondering if anyone here has any?
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
I remember that Heinz in the UK had some pasta shapes for the 2003 series. They were horrible, but taste < branding. There aren?t any pictures according to the Internet, so I was wondering if anyone here has any?
I do not believe we had those over here, only the 2k3 fruit snacks, cereal, and Blue Bunny face bars.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I do not believe we had those over here, only the 2k3 fruit snacks, cereal, and Blue Bunny face bars.
FRUIT SNACKS

I am 35 in less than 2 months and... these kinds of things will be with me forever. I ADORE fruit snacks.

PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #26
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

lol... first reply nailed it. For me it was definitely pudding pies. I ate so many of those back then. By far the most memorable for me. To this day I still have a weird craving for pudding pies and buy them occasionally at safeway (they don't compare to the vintage ones, but what can!)_

Runner up would be the turtle head ice creams but as we all know, most of those came out of the packing being hilariously awful looking which made them more funny than cool.

Lastly, special mention to the TMNT cereal bowls which you could get free, wrapped to a box of cereal. The ultimate TMNT kid's "mooom we have to get this" item in the cereal isle for that time
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
mikey0
Foot Elite

I am 35 in less than 2 months and... these kinds of things will be with me forever. I ADORE fruit snacks.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ca/f3/a1/c...e4622669e3.jpg

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg[/QUOTE]

The late 80s and early 90s were the best time for fruit snacks:

Old 07-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Man, back then you didn't really "make it" unless you had a Chef Boyardee line. Some of the lesser franchises like Sonic got stuck with Spaghetti-Os but anyone with actual clout had a Chef Boyardee. It wasn't even a contest.

I do remember seeing the TMNT bars advertised on ice cream trucks until the late-90s, at least, and maybe later, but I never thought to ask if they still carried them. I kinda doubt it; probably cheaper to not change the sticker on the truck and just say you're "all out" in the unlikely event anyone in the year 2000 asked for a Turtle Pop. I guess it's possible that by then they still carried them, but... odds are they were unsold stock from 4-5 years earlier, if they even did. The thought of it was partly why I never bothered to ask.

Let's see, we did the cereal, the ice cream, the pudding pies, the Chef Boyardee... what else was there? I'm drawing a blank but I feel like there had to be more.

Lol, Spaghettios are made by Chef Boyardee.... Just an fyi....

On topic, I had the icecream bars once or twice, and YES, they DO still make them! We get an icecream truck that comes through our complex parking lot on occasion in summer, and the last time I got something from it, I noticed they had the TMNT bars! They had the pasta as recently as the Nick toon was airing, as well, and I think those still sell fairly well.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #29
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ca/f3/a1/c...e4622669e3.jpg

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg
The late 80s and early 90s were the best time for fruit snacks:

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/im...ox_-_Front.jpg

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets...x_portrait.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20190422172941[/QUOTE]

OMG! I'm going to the store to get some fruit snacks!
Old 07-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #30
gdawz
Mouser

The first Bay movie had a Crush soda tie-in. I'm not a collector of all TMNT ephemera by any means, and not a fan of the first Bay movie, but for whatever reason... I wanted to own versions of all of these, and elicited the few people I know to scavenge shops in their neighborhoods for them, as there was a unique flavor for each turtle. I never found a Raphael can.

But to answer the original question: The Farley fruit snacks got the most play in my house, because they were the thing that fit into my parents' food buying habits easily enough. They bought me the cereal (the one with the hologram on the box) several times, and the fruit pies, and the ice cream bars when the truck ring-a-ding-dinged by, but those were "treats," whereas we usually had a box of fruit snacks that went in with lunches or whatnot. Sugar, either way, which I consumed more out of fandom than appeal - I don't recall really liking the pies, and the cereal was beyond my sweets tolerance for that type of thing.

I'm also probably applying this thought retroactively, but I feel like the cereal made me moderately aware of branding as a kid - like I recognized that there was nothing particularly unique about the cereal beyond the box; it could've been anything.
gdawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Lol, Spaghettios are made by Chef Boyardee.... Just an fyi.... .
Irrelevant, as kids nobody cared. The rule was, "Boyardee is the Good Sh*t, Spaghetti-Os are for poor people." Nobody thought too hard about it, or whether it even made sense, but that was indeed the rule. I'm just reporting on it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #32
mikey0
Foot Elite

I always loved the layout to the package for these:

You would get one turtle or all four turtles against a yellow (the color of April?s jumpsuit) background.

I wish there had been more characters on the stickers. The Bonkers candy TMNT stickers were heaps better than the regular and holographic stickers that came in the pudding pies. The Secret of the Ooze trading cards from the vanilla filled pudding pies were great nonetheless.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
There are Hostess apple and cherry pies, but the TMNT pudding pies have been discontinued since late 1991.

Rise of the TMNT Tropical Punch Bars are in stores, but they are missing bubble gum eyes. You can buy them at department stores and some grocery stores?
Ive tried the Rise pops. Theyre good but not the same kind from the trucks. I dont think.

So no company makes a standard vanilla pie? I thought it would be a common product even if it was not exactly the same.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 AM   #34
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Food that gets a famous kids' brand (that what TMNT is in this case) slapped onto it, is typically the worst food imaginable, the branding is literally the only selling point. I never have and will never ever buy food or snacks with the TMNT on the package unless I'm desperate, or they sell it for such a cheap price that nearly my entire food budget can be used for something else that month.

I am more likely to order one of the bizarre pizza variants mentioned in FW, at least the pizzeria sell themselves on the quality of their food. Rather a quality pizza ruined by bad toppings than some crap that is crap all the way through.
The only TMNT-related food and snacks products in Sweden I've seen are:

TMNT pizzas ("Turtlespizza")

TMNT tablets ("Turtlesgodis") and chewing gums ("Turtlestuggummi")

Some choccolate (I think) during the early Nickelodeon cartoon seasons or before the release of the 2014 movie (It must have been during mid or late 2013 or early-mid 2014)

I ate the tablets sometimes. Nothing else.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #35
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ive tried the Rise pops. Theyre good but not the same kind from the trucks. I dont think.

So no company makes a standard vanilla pie? I thought it would be a common product even if it was not exactly the same.
The Rise face pops from the ice cream truck have black bubble gum eyeballs, whereas the ones from the grocery store do not.

I have not seen vanilla pudding pies in stores since the early 90s. There are many recipes for vanilla pudding pies online. There have been chocolate pudding pies by Hostess in this century so far, but we will have to sign a petition to get the vanilla pudding pies back. Anything is possible. Hi-C Ecto Cooler was brought back in the summer of 2016, so hopefully, the new TMNT CGI does better than the first live action film so we can get new TMNT pies.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #36
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Not food items, but merch related so... Did anyone ever use these?

Bath soaps? And there was a whole range of toiletry related items... toothpastes, shampoo etc.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah bruh but I had one'a them Leonardo shampoo bottles. Pretty spiffy. I had a He-Man and Hulk Hogan one, too, but somehow I only still have the Hogan.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #38
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah bruh but I had one'a them Leonardo shampoo bottles. Pretty spiffy. I had a He-Man and Hulk Hogan one, too, but somehow I only still have the Hogan.
Why am I not surprised, or should anyone be surprised? Given your preoccupations with wrestling.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Well t'were it up to me I'd still have all of 'em but I'm pretty sure my Mom threw those other ones out when I was at school one day. She was never as sentimental as I am.

Probably worth a damn small fortune now.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #40
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Not food items, but merch related so... Did anyone ever use these?

Bath soaps? And there was a whole range of toiletry related items... toothpastes, shampoo etc.

https://i.etsystatic.com/16445651/r/...64370_s80v.jpg
I?ve never seen those before. I remember the Kid Care bubble bath bottles from the early to mid 90s. I did not like the second series of Kid Care bubble bath bottles because Raphael was dressed like Mike, The Sewer Surfer (sans the sunglasses). I always felt there should have been a Shredder trophy like bubble bath bottle based on the 1988 action figure. Instead, we got stuck with the Shredder OOZE bubble bath topper. It was cool that the Shredder OOZE bubble bath had a small resemblance to Slice ?N Dice Shredder at the time.

The bubble bath crystals from the very early 90s came in a nice tin like the popcorn.