Yes 6 54.55%
No 4 36.36%
What's MTG? 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
cqb101
Cinephile

Magic: The Gathering

Anybody play this? I've been sice Urza's saga, than was out of it for a little while after onslaught came out, and I recently started again.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I really like the game, but I don't like a lot of the tournament players (you know, the die hard buy-a-box-a-day my deck came right from the 'net types).

I'm planning on playing in the pre-release for Scourge too, and I get to chat with Ron Spencer (He's well known for the Squirrle tokens, Sliver Queen, Might of Oaks, and a lot of other cards) cause he lives an hour or so away from here.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Tokka-B
Banned

There should be an option for used to. I started playing back when 4th and Ice Age just came out. I stopped for a few reasons.
1. Because the cards started getting really stupid.
2. Because the game was a money vaccum pretty much.
3. I can't think of the others right now.

I remember my local comic/card shop having tournaments every weekend, and I would go in, and end up coming out with a slim wallet and many more cards. I quit buying cards like that about 1.5 years ago, but every now and then I will go in and see a cool card displayed and maybe buy it to tune up my deck. I still play sometimes, but I have stopped collecting and buying. I now have around 8,000 cards...I really hope to get rid of a huge mass of that. Anyway, it was a great, fun, addictable, collectable, and tradable game that was sort of inexpensive and once learned, easy to play and fun to master different strategies. If I were ever to start playing again it would have to be with the pc game that is online. Finding people to play is getting harder as the years go by, and many more people are getting introduced to the PC game now. Has anyone tried the PC game yet? The paying money for cyber cards is kinda wierd, and it feels like you are paying money constantly to play a pc game and not getting much in return. By the way, if anyone needs any cards, I probly have some of what you are looking for.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
I really like the game, but I don't like a lot of the tournament players (you know, the die hard buy-a-box-a-day my deck came right from the 'net types).

I'm planning on playing in the pre-release for Scourge too, and I get to chat with Ron Spencer (He's well known for the Squirrle tokens, Sliver Queen, Might of Oaks, and a lot of other cards) cause he lives an hour or so away from here.

I also hate the tournament players. They are better than me(obviously) so they don't want anything to do with me, and act like real assholes around me.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Tokka-B
Banned

Yea, those are also the people who have no lives....buying boxes of cardboard gets you no where in life...except make you stuck up.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokka
There should be an option for used to. I started playing back when 4th and Ice Age just came out. I stopped for a few reasons.
1. Because the cards started getting really stupid.
2. Because the game was a money vaccum pretty much.

Has anyone tried the PC game yet?
about 1. Their getting better... the Invasion Block was REALLY nice, and this next set is pretty much focused on making Dragons playable.
2. Wizards of the Coast is above all else a company. Companies exist to make money. If they diden't make you buy new cards the game would be stale (right now me thinks a good lock deck would slaughter every deck out there).

And yeah, the PC game is really good. Feels olmost like playing at a table, cause you can talk to your opponent and stuff. Theirs also usually ALWAYS someone on there too who wants to play, and you can even watch the Wizards R&D team test new sets. And once you get a full set of cards online you can trade them in for an actual set IRL.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #7
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

I have never even heard of it.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:46 AM   #8
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew138
I have never even heard of it.
Well, you should have.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:51 AM   #9
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

Uhh.. right
Old 05-08-2003, 05:10 AM   #10
kyabetsu
Foot Elite

hey! yeah. i play. not in tournaments or anything, but i've got some friends who like to play. They actually introduced me to it fairly (comparatively) recently. so yeah. i've only been playing for a few years.

Uh yeah. My first obsession is anime and then comic books. so that doesn't leave much $$ for cards... but there's a local store that sells boxs of 500 cards for $5... mind you, you get what you pay for. The rares are culled out, though from time to time they miss a few. Heh... i've gotten a few foreign language cards too... various ones printed in Japanese. Whoops! heh. the card shop boys got a little mixed up there!

so yeah. i don't have KILLER decks or anything. but i hold my own against some folks who've been collecting and making decks for some time.

got me a green squirrel deck with trample and lots of things that make the squirrels stupidly huge....

got a nice direct damage white and red.

and a solid black that's cool... lots of unblockable creatures and direct damage...

but yeah. i play just cause its fun. *shrug* and i'm not buying any more cards any time soon... i've got PLENTY of extras.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:34 AM   #11
Casey Jones
Thug

um...yea.
i disagree with alot of the directions WotC have taken lately, but it's still a fun game.
avoid tournaments at all costs. they're so competitive, especially with the big prize support that's out there now. too many people lose sight of the reason they play Magic in the first place.

"Barf out! Adolescent irradiated Samurai Rats!"
Night Shade on NES
Old 05-08-2003, 01:02 PM   #12
Tokka-B
Banned

Well, I didn't really like any of the post urza block cards....the cards started getting extremely cheap as well. I said it was a money vaccum because I couldn't stop collecting, it is hard to stop buying when they create 3 sets a year, (which is a LOT).