The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Why don't the TMNT use guns?
Splinter made them not 4 14.81%
They don't like them 7 25.93%
They look at guns as "cheating" 4 14.81%
They haven't found the right ones 1 3.70%
They will, at times 8 29.63%
Other reason: _________ 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why don't the TMNT use guns? Like, often?

I'm really only talking in terms of the TMNT universes in which they have no qualms about killing their opponents/enemies (which is... just the one), but we can talk about why they wouldn't use guns elsewhere, too.

I mean... what is it? We've seen them very sparingly use guns, but why not at least pack a pistol sidearm, just in case? Not stealthy enough? Are we to think that they have some strange aversion to guns in general? Don't say it's "honor," because that's dumb for a variety of reasons.

I know the Archie series has the ongoing thing with the Turtles, Leonardo largely, going around saying, "I hate guns!" but that's just the Archie series.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

If they are true ninjas, guns are just like any other tool; they will use them when a situation calls for it. The lack of gun usage from the turtles is probably from the western stereotype that ninjas only use feudal-era weapons that the writers inject into the stories.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've always assumed because stealth. Donnie used the gun to save Karai in City at War, of course, and was disgusted by himself for using it after. Except... it's just a tool, Don? And you've killed plenty of other people without guns?

And Raph got to gun down plenty of mobsters in Image, and... he also felt pretty disgusted with himself afterwards. (I won't bother discussing Bodycount. Silly stuff there.)

I dunno. Probably just writers trying to lean into the "heroes don't use guns" stereotype from Batman et al.

I'd love to see an "Elseworlds" TMNT story with guns. Maybe the Turtles gunning down some hapless ninja who brought knives to a gunfight.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

There is absolutely no reason for the tmnt not to use guns (or laser weapons, if its a non violent universe), when they have the chance.

Why they don't use guns at times I would pin down to guns not being readily available to them or bad writing.
Even when using stealth, it is best to have a gun with you, just in case.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Because we all know historically, Ninjas never used guns.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Wouldn't be the same watching them shoot from hiding places instead of watching their fighting skills. (obviously you meant where necessary rather than solely)

Cutting out the toons cause they can't have real guns (and massive fingers, though it didn't stop them using everything else) Maybe in the comics or an adult show that fans wait in hope for.

I'd say not much, their art preferred? kinda like how the Jedi like to use a lightsaber and skills rather than blasters.

Last edited by newfan; 07-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Cause (usually western) Pop-Culture depicts Ninjas using East Asian medieval weapons with a sprinkle of South Asian melee weaponry.

It's not like Shinobi had techniques with barrel cleaning bullets, double shot techniques with flintlock guns, land mines, rocket launchers, fire bombs or grenades...

Better stick with fantasy swords and bladed Sai
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno, it's just not really their thing. Some people who are really into guns seem to think everyone should be. Push come to shove, if it was the only thing in front of them and they had to act immediately, then sure, the Turtles would probably pick it up. But not everyone feels the same way about them or share the interest in them, and if it isn't really their thing, so be it.

Though the opinions seem to vary among them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

One exception to not actively using guns that I would accept is the turtles having some sort of superior superhuman capability which makes guns obsolete, such as the Rise turtles having magic weapons (even though I don't think there have been guns on that show?), or even the PD ones being able to block bullets with their shells.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

We need a Punisher Turtle. Forget Slash or Venus, give us Kirby...
Old 07-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Good guys tend not to use guns in comics in general with rare exceptions. You might as well ask why Spiderman doesn't use a gun, or Batman (lol), etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Good guys tend not to use guns in comics
There plenty of "good guys" who use guns in comics. Less so people who we would consider "heroes" or "superheroes"... but the TMNT are really neither heroes or superheroes, they're killer ninja assassins.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Simple, their fingers don't fit through the trigger hook.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Simple, their fingers don't fit through the trigger hook.
That's a good point. They'd have to customize (as in break the trigger guard off) any gun they'd ever pick up.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I know the Archie series has the ongoing thing with the Turtles, Leonardo largely, going around saying, "I hate guns!" but that's just the Archie series.
Future Donatello in the Archie Comics had no problems with guns (even if it was a laser).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #16
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Good guys tend not to use guns in comics in general with rare exceptions. You might as well ask why Spiderman doesn't use a gun, or Batman (lol), etc.
Batman did use guns. A LOT.

https://www.newsarama.com/26211-the-...ng-batman.html

Even in Batman v Superman he killed enemies with guns. He ain’t no wuss like some people made him out to be.

Frighten of bat? He uses the bat as his symbol.
Traumatized by guns because it killed his parents? ****ing use those guns to kill people!

So simple.

——————-

As for the turtles, it’s not their MO or default weapon. But if they’re in battle and the opportunity rises for them to use guns, of course they would. No doubt about it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
youhavemysupport
Thug

Too noisy. I would've loved this though:

youhavemysupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean, gonna agree on the "fingers too big", but I think some of it also stems from the "Bruce Lee Ninja" roots from Mirage.
Now, I'm not entirely sure myself if they used guns at all, but there's probably a reason why people don't usually assume "historical ninjas" (which of course didn't exist) did in fact use guns.

A lot of it just comes down the the turtles being "Hollywood ninjas" and not "historically inspired shinobi".
(Honestly, people keep talking about "accurate depictions of ninja" for them, but in all honesty, they wouldn't be "ninja" at all. More like a martial arts-based street gang that maybe uses "ninja" as a name only)

I would also argue "Doctor Who Logic", wherein the Doctor outright refuses to use guns across most versions.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-11-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

I guess being ninjas they prefer using their ninja weapons as Splinter taught them to?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #20
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

That's a good question - those Turtle fingers were dexterous when it came to holding their weapons, but it was rare whenever it came to firearm usage.

I hardly thought about that, but, it would appear that TPTB also thought the same way.

I suppose that 'True Ninjas' don't use guns - they use skill and improvisation whenever skill backfires.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote