The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Scrag from Season 1? Story Potential?

Anyone else feel like this guy, along with the Mutated Punks had story potential and could have been a good storyline but were pushed to the side around Season 2 to make way for Baxter Stockman's return and The Four Part Episodes.

The Punks happen to be my favourite minor characters in the whole series and it always boggles me on how no-one, and I do mean NO-ONE has bothered to even ask David Wise about this.

Also, another question. Where did Scrag's name come from? It is said that it came from an unspecified, extremely rare colouring book but I would really love to see pics if anyone has got any.

So what are your thoughts on Scrag and the Punks?
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I always imagined them as being retconned into the gang seen during "The Gang's All Here" and "Once Upon a Time Machine" but I would've loved to see the individual Punks from season 1, especially in their mutated forms.

I was happy that they got a small cameo in Turtles Forever, along with Bebop and Rocksteady's human forms.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I always imagined them as being retconned into the gang seen during "The Gang's All Here" and "Once Upon a Time Machine" but I would've loved to see the individual Punks from season 1, especially in their mutated forms.

I was happy that they got a small cameo in Turtles Forever, along with Bebop and Rocksteady's human forms.
I agree, I really wish they appeared outside of Season 1 and I always wondered why they didn't. They had everything to make a good episode out of them but it still boggles me on how David Wise wouldn't do anything with them. They surely had to have come up during script meetings during rewrites and all that.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think its mostly because the showrunners would've likely seen them as generic punks rather than established characters, so when they did decide to make characters out of Bebop and Rocksteady's gang (Jersey Red, Lugnut etc.) they glossed over the season 1 punks and instead came up with completely new designs. Besides, David Wise didn't even write "The Gang's All Here" so things might've turned out differently, had the episode had his input.

I do have to admit, I love Bebop and Rocksteady's established gang from season 3, but atleast seeing the season 1 punks alongside them would've been so much cooler.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-15-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I always imagined them as being retconned into the gang seen during "The Gang's All Here" and "Once Upon a Time Machine"
There's no need for seing them as retconned. It's easy to assume that not all members were mutated.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:42 AM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There's no need for seing them as retconned. It's easy to assume that not all members were mutated.
Based on what I remember, the season 3 gang members seemed to have no recollection of Shredder, so its likely that they were never among the mutated gang members in the technodrome or were a part of a different gang altogether, one that Bebop and Rocksteady were in before working for Shredder.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Overlord

Quote:
Based on what I remember, the season 3 gang members seemed to have no recollection of Shredder, so its likely that they were never among the mutated gang members in the technodrome or were a part of a different gang altogether, one that Bebop and Rocksteady were in before working for Shredder.
Didn't the turtles and April O'Neil recognize them? Anyway, the gang seems to have been divided into two fractions. Shredder mutated most of those in Bebop's and Rocksteady's fraction. Those in Lungnut's fraction weren't mutated, and never inside the Technodrome when it was sent to Dimension X at the end of season 1.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Scrag was a bat mutant, wasn't he? Seems like he was a proto version of Wingnut.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

No, not every mutant is a prototype or anyway related to another character just because they're the same animal.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Overlord

And what happened to those who were inside the Technodrome by the end of season 1?
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題

I have/had a scan of the page where they call him Scrag from a coloring book, but I don't know if it's in easy access. I might have gotten it from tOkKa's Flickr, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

I do find it a shame they didn't do more with the gang but when you have mutants and ninjas I guess a bunch of punks is a little underwhelming but they definitely had potential.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I do find it a shame they didn't do more with the gang but when you have mutants and ninjas I guess a bunch of punks is a little underwhelming but they definitely had potential.
Shredder could hire the human streetpunks more often to steal hightech equipment for the Technodrome.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 AM   #14
Fishface
Foot Soldier

You know what I actually think happened to them after Season 1. Krang could have had them executed for being just mindless cannon fodder, not being much use, even he said so in Hot Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X, that the punks were not useful. This isn't very surprising to be honest as Krang tried this on Baxter Stockman in Season 2 either.

What do you guy think?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
You know what I actually think happened to them after Season 1. Krang could have had them executed for being just mindless cannon fodder, not being much use, even he said so in Hot Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X, that the punks were not useful. This isn't very surprising to be honest as Krang tried this on Baxter Stockman in Season 2 either.

What do you guy think?
Or just abandon them on the same planet the Technodrome was in during season 2.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

Actually, they WERE the same gang, though some of the members had changed. Lugnut from Gang's All Here was the short blonde thug, and the other black guy was in there too, and I think one of the others as well. It's likely the gang was bigger during season 1, due to several members later being mutated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
I agree, I really wish they appeared outside of Season 1 and I always wondered why they didn't. They had everything to make a good episode out of them but it still boggles me on how David Wise wouldn't do anything with them. They surely had to have come up during script meetings during rewrites and all that.

They did appear- several of the same members were in both Gang's All Here and the Hokum episode. They just weren't given names in their original appearance.

Quote:
I think its mostly because the showrunners would've likely seen them as generic punks rather than established characters, so when they did decide to make characters out of Bebop and Rocksteady's gang (Jersey Red, Lugnut etc.) they glossed over the season 1 punks and instead came up with completely new designs. Besides, David Wise didn't even write "The Gang's All Here" so things might've turned out differently, had the episode had his input.

I do have to admit, I love Bebop and Rocksteady's established gang from season 3, but atleast seeing the season 1 punks alongside them would've been so much cooler.

Lugnut and one or two of the others were the same punks from the first season. They weren't named, but it was definitely them.

Quote:
It's not even a retcon. Some members changed in the later season, probably BECAUSE several had been mutated and the gang recruited new members.

Quote:
Didn't the turtles and April O'Neil recognize them? Anyway, the gang seems to have been divided into two fractions. Shredder mutated most of those in Bebop's and Rocksteady's fraction. Those in Lungnut's fraction weren't mutated, and never inside the Technodrome when it was sent to Dimension X at the end of season 1.

Yes they did. I don't think the gang actually divided into factions. Lugnut's group was just lucky- they got out while they were still human. I have a theory that Shredder and Krang used the "failures" from the mutated gang members as test subjects for their weapons, or to test out the Foot-bots' combat skills on.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Shredder could hire the human streetpunks more often to steal hightech equipment for the Technodrome.
Very true. Never thought of that, good point.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
It's not even a retcon. Some members changed in the later season, probably BECAUSE several had been mutated and the gang recruited new members.
But Bebop and Rocksteady recognized at least some of them before.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I watch pics of the Turtle Tracks ep and Gangs all Here, and sorry, they just don't match up.

Plus if they were the old gang from season 1 they would have known Bebop and Rocksteady were mutated and not be surprised.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
Overlord

I prefer the idea of only Bebop and Rocksteady mutating, and not all gang members.