The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Foot Soldier

So I saw my first full episodes of Rise...

Which were "Origami Tsunami" and "Donnie's gifts"

Boy, judging from those episodes I can sum up the Turtles as a team with one word "Incompetent." They were worse than the eighties Turtles in "Turtles forever."

Leonardo's constant joking was grating, he reminded me of Human Torch in Fantastic Four, the world's greatest heroes, another guy who has no idea how tiring he is.
Raphael, big dumb jock.
Donatello, wise guy.
Michelangelo, Michelangelo, of all of them he's changed the least.
April, back to being damsel in distress, sadly.

Pros would be the fluid animation but boy when I think about what series it replaced...

So does this improve?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think they are supposed to start out inexperienced, it's them at an earlier point than we have seen them before, or so I remember the description.
You could always just check out a few more and decide if it's for you or not, all the eps have threads so you could read up on those first maybe at take your pick?

Last edited by newfan; 04-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I think they are supposed to start out inexperienced, it's them at an earlier point than we have seen them before, or so I remember the description.
The "prequel" aspect of this doesn't make a bit of sense.

I suppose this is a cross to bare with all prequel series of this type; Think Smallville and Gotham that we are supposed to accept that the heroes had great adventures and met most of their allies and enemies before they are officially supposed to but it's even weirder here.

The turtles are teenagers, their skills seem about as developed as it is any other version, they already fight crime and know April. Most of the important stuff that you'd expect in a prequel series is already there. They already had their signature weapons but lost them and it's going to seem weird if in the finale of this series they give up their super cool magic and tech weapons in favour of metal and wood again.

I have a feeling that that they just wanted to do something something drastically different and tacked on the whole "prequel" aspect as a way to mitigate the changes in the eyes of fans. So people think okay eventually it will start resembling an actual TMNT show.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well at least you started with one of the better early ones (Origami Tsunami), though "Donnie's gifts" isn't so great and one of the first big hints that this Donnie is kind of a jerk.

"Better" really depends on what episodes. Mostly... no. If someone wants to focus only on what's a little better and is more about the actual theme of this one, I suggest Mystic Mayhem (first ep), Origami Tsunami, Bug Busters, The Evil League of Mutants, and the most recently aired Shadow of Evil. If these had been the only eps of the series so far the perception and appreciation of this one would/might be a lot different. (Though that doesn't help the crappy personality changes that there's no help for.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Boy, judging from those episodes I can sum up the Turtles as a team with one word "Incompetent." They were worse than the eighties Turtles in "Turtles forever."
Be ready to take it as a comedy.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
rickwj324
Stone Warrior

I've found the show to be totally unwatchable. It is one of the worst cartoons on tv. Every time I hear April speak or see Splinter on-screen I cringe. It really is an abomination to the TMNT franchise.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
I've found the show to be totally unwatchable. It is one of the worst cartoons on tv. Every time I hear April speak or see Splinter on-screen I cringe. It really is an abomination to the TMNT franchise.
The new generation's Next Mutation. A title which expresses irony as they are not rising,but falling down a peg. Like me just ride it out and ignore it until the next iteration and enjoy the IDW comics. This is probably what the Mirage Purist did with City at War while the '87 cartoon was on CBS.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
I agree I still can't believe we went from the Magnum Opus that was nick turtles to this crap

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
rickwj324
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I agree I still can't believe we went from the Magnum Opus that was nick turtles to this crap
Same here! The 2012 Nick toon is not only one of the best cartoons I've watched but it's one of the best SHOWS I've watched period! Such a great show. It was funny, it was tear jerking at times, it really was a great show that made me care for the characters!
RISE is just.....painful!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Powder
Salami Origami

Just what this section needs- more hate!

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
April, back to being damsel in distress, sadly.
Musta been an off episode. Usually this version of April is portrayed as competent or moreso than the Turtles in a fight. 2012 April TRIED, but this one really is the 5th Turtle.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:

So does this improve?
the last 'great series' really didn't.

it had much more potential for greatness, and never really reached it. it'll be forgotten within a few years, I think...and this will never hit memory.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I agree that a new adaptation can try too hard to immitate past ones at times. 2012's Leatherhead episode felt half worthless to me since half of it was almost identical to 2003's Leatherhead episode.

But if you're going out of your way to make your TMNT adaptation different from past incarnations, you have to expect at least a little bit of backlash. A lot of fans have a specific idea of what they want from this series due to going through long periods of something contrary to it.

Of course, I'm not going to make them out to be more obsessed than they actually are. Most people don't care enough to spend much time whining about this. But they aren't obliged to care enough to support an incarnation they find less than ideal, either.

By this point, Ninja Turtles has shown it can be just about anything, but not everyone likes everything, which I would argue means that people who like something the Turtles did need not support something else anymore than they need to support something unrelated to them.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
snake
Disgusting

Personally I'd take 100 hit or miss new ideas than another adaption of City at War that resembles the original in name only.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I hope someday writers/producers/whatevers get over this stupid belief that in order to make something new you have to go overboard.

If you feel the urge to go so far that you'd entirely throw out who characters are as individuals, particularly those established over a long history of a franchise, and it's practically just him/her/whoever in name only... then what the hell, bug off and go make a different show that's about someone else, because at that point it pretty much already is.

I totally welcome new stories and adventures, preferably set in another time period in their lives rather than trying to be a reboot, but I want to see those approached the way Leo, Donnie, Raph, and Mikey normally would in their own ways. I mean, sans reboot portions, the whole Mystic thing could have worked for that. But even now they're so far largely wasting the potential of that theme since they rarely touch it.

Any tweaks to personalities and other traits would be better off taking a step back to a better period to correct something, such as pulling Mikey back from the stupid side. It's nice that 'Rise' HAS kind of done that... but their method has made him kind of bland; probably partly at fault of making them all too similar so he doesn't really shine that much on his own anymore. Mikey doesn't really feel like the heart of the group anymore either. (The heart is half empty, the brains are selfish, the muscles have gone soft, and the refined, sharp, focused strategy is off scratching his butt somewhere and feeling impressed with himself for no reason...) So far this show really wouldn't lose much of anything in the absence of any one of these Turtles, or if only one of them existed in this series, which is a shame. If they intend on making them grow as characters, then this far in they really aught to start getting on that.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #16
snake
Disgusting

It's not about "going overboard", it's about doing things that are interesting to the writers and seeing what works. Again, the intention of the show and people's expectations are in two completely different places. The Rise turtles have more personality and are less cookie-cutter than 2k3, FW, and IDW. Their interactions feel real and have more depth to them beyond "this one MAD", "this one SILLY".

If you want a serious incarnation just read IDW instead of waiting for it to come to tv, because that's not happening in this day and age.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The day some other version turns them all into girls... I'm gonna hate it, but will be grabbing the popcorn and watching how many hit their limit of what they're willing to defend and accept being done to these guys.

The rage that will ensue. But I'mma be like, but it's new and the writers like it, it ain't made for us, not for people who like TMNT.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:15 PM   #18
snake
Disgusting

There’s nothing wrong with a genderbent multiverse incarnation.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:35 AM   #19
The Great Saiyaman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The day some other version turns them all into girls... I'm gonna hate it, but will be grabbing the popcorn and watching how many hit their limit of what they're willing to defend and accept being done to these guys.

The rage that will ensue. But I'mma be like, but it's new and the writers like it, it ain't made for us, not for people who like TMNT.
Last year I did some artwork based on that.

Leonarda, Donatella, Rapahelle and Michelangela. The Teenage Mutant Kunoichi Turtles.

The funny thing was that the more I thought about how their character traits worked for their male counterparts worked, the more I realized how well they'd work for their female counterparts.

Leonarda "Leona"
- Is of all the turtles the shortest and when it comes to physical strength the weakest, Splinter made her leader because that would take her mind off of that fact and in doing so helped her self-esteem out quite a bit.
- Although physically the shortest and the weakest, Leona is also of all the turtles the fastest, in both her velocity with her swords and in split second decision making when leading her sisters into battle.
- Leona sees herself as a real life version of Captain Wayjane from the Sci-fi series "Space heroes, deep dish seven" and the fact that she keeps using quotes from that series, often rubs her team mates the wrong way.
- Leona and Raphaelle have a rivalry of Speed against power and of wits against guts. Their sparring matches often descending into catfights, despite that Leona and Ella truly respect the other and form a tight unit when battling the Foot Clan.

Raphaelle
- Is a head strong and total tomboy, she keeps her violent temper from her male counterpart but add the whole "Hell hath no fury of a Woman scorned" to the mix.
- She has short blond hair that she wears in a Mohawk, for some reason it never wanted to grow any longer so she made due with what she had.
- Raphaelle insists on being called "Ella" because she's very peeved about the fact that unlike her sisters, her name doesn't end with an A and has given Master Splinter a hard time because of that. This is because she DOES know she's a girl and wants to reinforce her bond with her sisters. Another point in which she expresses her femininity is the fact that she keeps the tails of her bandana extra long to compensate for her short hair.

Donatella, "Donna"
- Retains the technical genius of her male counterpart but adds the skill of multitasking to that. She can read and solve complex equations while repairing the Shellraiser.
- Donna is of all four sisters the most lady-like and hopelessly romantic, still waiting for her redheaded knight in shining armor to take her away.
- Donna is the tallest and the most slender of all four turtle sisters but don't let the fact that her arms and legs aren't as muscular as the others fool you, she's 100% power.
- Donna has a keen sense of fair play and of rectifying mistakes if possible. Here she is in her lab trying to find a cure for Mutagen Man, turn him back into The Pulverizer.

Michelangela
- "Angie" so that the other turtles can shout her name in the same way they shout "MIKEY!" when the latter is fooling about.
- Because Mikey has freckles, I envisioned Angie to be a Redhead and that her hair is naturally curly. That's solely on the fact that it makes her look not that bright, which leads to enemies underestimating her.
- I figured Angie to be a stocky, chubby girl, not really obese but bigger than a teenage hard body girl. Coming largely from Mikey's love for Pizza which is undiminished with Angie, in fact, it might be worse. She's also the bustiest of all four girl turtles.
- Angie is the kind of girl who just hugs everybody, regardless of who they are, she's enthusiastic, lively and bubbly.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #20
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
[Note, this comment isn't really directed at you personally. I've just seen similar said elsewhere and bugs me for the given reason.]

To consider that Leo's normal personality, outside of 'Rise,' is then therefore a fraud, that without the "job" of leadership he's just an asshat and his perspectives, values, and his approach to everything is artificial and merely dictated by said job...is genuinely depressing.

People are so blindly stuck on this assumption that all that he is is based on the label "is the leader." (So untrue.) To the point that when they want to take that "burden" off his shoulders, what do they do... instead of leaning on his actual personality traits and letting those shine more with that stress off of him, they just throw it all out. Really sad.

Why not consider how he tends to be "off the clock," at home where he defers to Splinter's command of the family and himself in a subordinate position, and play off of that. (Likewise to some extent when Splinter participates in a battle and Leo's not the top guy in charge.) When the burden is off of him because dad has the say, and when he's able to relax at home and do his own thing, there is an example of who he is beyond is job title.

Still, I keep waiting and hoping this show has an ace up its sleeve, though it'll probably just play for me for a fool and keep me waiting for nothing. Not expecting everything to be "fixed" and turn into what I want TMNT to be... but growing the characters in a good direction would be a plus.
The biggest problem with doing that, in THIS show, is that it's Splinter isn't much a leader either. He's usually depicted as a lazy, bumbling, clumsy, maybe even senile old man. It's the sort of characterization that can work as it's own thing, although it seems everyone who doesn't find it funny instead finds it annoying, but it just feels wrong when the show turns around and tries to make him the tough, venerable leader. If only the show displayed him developing into a more ideal hero, and had it stick, that would be alright, but just going back and forth between the two makes for a show that seems more like two different shows; maybe more, prompting us to wonder "When is TMNT not TMNT?"

There are, of course, plenty of people who think certain incarnations of TMNT have crossed that line already, but I don't see how that helps this show's case, since if it was a problem to such people back then it's also likely to be a problem to them now. Meanwhile people who weren't estranged before might still be now.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote