The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

10 years ago it was 2008. What games were you playing at the time?

2008... I was really on a retrogaming mood in 2007-2008, so I was replaying some classics from the NES, Genesis and SNES days at the time and also trying some I had never had the opportunity to play before. I finally had the opportunity to play them through the Wii's virtual console, anthologies and ofc emulators.

In 2008 I was playing all of the NES Mega Man games I had not played before(every one except for Mega man 2) and also was playing all of the Genesis Sonic games(only had played the 1st one as a kid and never got past Spring Yard Zone). This was also the first time I managed to play Turtles in Time and Super Mario Kart. As for current or more modern games at the time I was playing Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Also this period was my first time in a while replaying games I had not played in years such as SNES F-Zero, Street Fighter II and the SNES Mortal Kombat games.

Funny enough, around early-mid 2009, I took a sabbatical from gaming and didn't really slowly get back into gaming again until late 2011/early 2012.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Whatever was releasing at the time.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Whatever was releasing at the time.
Did a quick google search. I'd say these were the biggest games that came out in 2008:

Fallout 3
GTA 4
CoD: World at War
Dead Space
Far Cry 2
Mirror's Edge
Gears of War 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

How many of these did you play? Also; I could swear the first Uncharted game was from 2008, but turns out is from 2007.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Was doing some Castlevania games and Mugen.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I played GTA, Dead Space, Far Cry, Gears, and Smash.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno about 2007 but in 2008 I got a Wii with Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl, & Super Mario Galaxy, all of which kicked major ass.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Pokemon Fire Red, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Sports, Duel Masters Shadow of the Code, Pokemon Diamond etc.

Still makes me mad how back then I got so lucky as a kid (getting random shiny Pokemon back then) and now I grind for hours at a time and still no luck lol.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I dunno about 2007 but in 2008 I got a Wii with Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl, & Super Mario Galaxy, all of which kicked major ass.
The Wii had a very strong first couple of years. Also, remember how hard it was to buy one for nearly a year? It was sold out everywhere. It's probably the only Nintendo console my brother was not able to buy at launch/close to launch.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

Believe it or not, I didn't even know it existed, I got it as a gift for my 18th birthday. For a portion of my teens, I was completely shut off from a lot of stuff, in favor of drugs & mayhem, so I fell off in the latter half of Gamecube's run. I also didn't know about the DS until 2007, & didn't grab one until Christmas '09. You can imagine how taken aback I was when a Wii with core titles was dropped in my lap & it had freakin' motion controls to boot. It's what sucked me back in after a few years of focusing on little more than the teen cliche of sex/drugs/rock 'n roll.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Whatever the latest Final Fantasy game was. Maybe I was just getting out of wasting all my time on XI.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I already owned a lot of games by then. So I'll just mention the only new game I got that year, which was New Super Mario Bros., which actually came out in 2006. I was going to be going on vacation in the summer, and I wanted a fresh new game to take with me to work on when I'd be on vacation. For some reason, I chose that. Oddly enough, I saw someone playing that at the airport when I was departing to go where I was going.

Now while I was on vacation, I decided I wanted the players guide, and came across a Circuit City that had it, and they were only selling it for one cent.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #12
Turo602
The King of Kings

I honestly can't remember what games I played in this time. I've been keeping a list of all the games I beat since 2010 and could still remember a few games I was playing in 2009, but 2008 is too far back. Especially since I didn't get my first current gen system at the time until Christmas of 2008 with the 360, so I really don't have a clue as to what I was playing for the rest of the year. I think Sonic The Hedgehog '06 was the first game I got and played on my 360. According to my achievements, I had started up Saint's Row 2 at the very end of the year. My brother and I were also playing Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 before I got my 360, which I remember because I would frequently borrow his after school when he'd go to work so I could play Vegas 2 on my own. My achievements also say we played Castle Crashers, and that's as far as I could gather.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #13
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

A mixed variety of PS2 games & Genesis games. I think that my old N64 was still working at the time, so I played with that as well.

Also, Hexen, Heretic & Heretic 2 were my go-to games for my PC. (That is one of the reasons why I liked running XP on my old computer.)

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Off the top of my head,
Skies of Arcadia
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Sonic Chronicles
Yugioh WCT2007
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

I don't remember what I played today.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I don't remember what I played today.
What about what you had for lunch yesterday? Come to think of it, I don't really remember what I had
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #17
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I'd imagine I was playing Metroid: Zero Mission and the GBA port of TMNT (2007). All I had was a PS2 and a Game Boy Advance until 2012 or so, after I went to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote