The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 01:34 AM   #41
Faster and Cheaper
Thug

My sister saw it the other day with her friend. My sister's review was, in her words "it's a movie..." And her friend outright hated it. On the positive side she said the Fx were nice.
Faster and Cheaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #42
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

this sounds like the type of movie you can watch with the sound off while vibing out
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #43
Logan
Hench Mutant

I dug it. The leads' acting is weak in spots and the plot was bloated, but I enjoyed it for the visuals and the action. I'm easily entertained. I subscribe to Nick Swardson's commentary on modern audiences from his bit, "Boner Soup". I simply don't have the energy or the inclination to hate anything or anyone.

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #44
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I saw this movie today.
It was pretty good, better than I thought it would be.
It had nice visuals and a decent story. Just needed more memorable characters and some explanations for some stuff and it would've been better.
It's got me interested in the source material, might have to check it out.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #45
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I finally watched the movie and I have mixed feelings, on one end it's rather generic boring plot that is unraveled in a rather convoluted way and I realize that this French comic is pretty old so many of its ideas have already been done before but still, they could've done it a bit more interesting. Also Valerian is a very boring actor.

On the other hand the movie's world building is awesome, the effects are great and in general the world is so awesome that I'd love to see more movies in it. I'll definitely be reading the comics now but I'm sad that we won't get another movie. The action, adventure, everything is there for this to be a big franchise. If you're a fan of sci-fi check it out, it's just missing a better plot and main character.

Here is my review on Valerian and the city of a thousand planets.

Last edited by sdp; 04-06-2020 at 12:32 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #46
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well I finally watched the movie and I have mixed feelings, on one end it's rather generic boring plot that is unraveled in a rather convoluted way and I realize that this French comic is pretty old so many of its ideas have already been done before but still, they could've done it a bit more interesting. Also Valerian is a very boring actor.

On the other hand the movie's world building is awesome, the effects are great and in general the world is so awesome that I'd love to see more movies in it. I'll definitely be reading the comics now but I'm sad that we won't get another movie. The action, adventure, everything is there for this to be a big franchise. If you're a fan of sci-fi check it out, it's just missing a better plot and main character.
I know what you mean. It's the most awesome boring movie ever. I love it for all of the reasons you said, but it needed to be punctuated with more "great moments".

I wish he'd somehow have pumped out a sequel to the Fifth Element, but that's a movie that likely can never be recaptured.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Had to double check to see, but it doesn't look like I actually posted my thoughts after actually seeing it.

Meh, it was OK. Really forgettable, which a movie like this really can't afford to be. The leads were pretty blase... hardly the presence of Korben Dallas or even Leeloo. Ethan Hawke was pretty wasted.

Yeah, it's a lot like Jupiter Ascending. Some neat ideas and lots of money being thrown around on the screen, but cardboard main characters amidst too much world building with maybe too much of a mind for future movies. There's nothing really to hate in it but nothing much to engage with either.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #48
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I really enjoyed it, but it is no Fifth Element.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote