The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Based on what I've seen so far of the recycled vintage Mirage artwork and the "sketch cards" from various free-lance artists...

meh.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I do agree to it being a bit "meh" in the fact that the larger majority are supposedly based on cover art. Preferably I'd rather it be a wider assortment of art, not just covers, since there is so much to pull from the franchise at this point, and make up no more than half of the set.

Also kind of wish they were doing smaller card sets as well, like, say, a random pack of 10 or 20 (or small numbered sets so you aren't buying doubles?); maybe with less of a chance of getting something cool thrown in, but still a chance. Would spread the cost out a little and get back to the fun of the old days of just grabbing one on a whim and seeing what you get.

The price of that 8 box case... wow. I guess if you're well off and have nothing else better to spend on and you really really want all those color variants... In that case I quietly question your life choices, but to each their own. lol

Too bad that case just barely saves any money per box though... Had it, it could have been handy for eight fans to go in on it and everyone saves some cash. But by the time you add shipping, prob just going to cost the same, or more. Shame.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #23
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Wow those prices... so this is what the card market has become. It's a zero-growth market so they just exploit the old guys still into it. Classy. I mean clearly that's what they are doing if this is what they expect to get away with charging.

I used to have fun collecting cards back in the 80s and early 90s, then transitioned into CCGs before losing interest in that as well. It used to be cards were a great, inexpensive impulse buy that could be fun and inexpensive to collect and trade. Doesn't look like that anymore...

We'll always have the memories.

I'm really not sure how these companies survive going forward, as far as attracting new blood into the hobby. Exploiting fans via card collecting smartphone apps is one way. For a while I was having fun with the Star Wars card app from Topps. But all of the nice cards are locked behind paywalls... and the paywalls aren't cheap. You'll spend hundreds a month to keep up with the various releases, which is unrealistic for everyone other than those with hyper addictive personalities, which is what they are trying to target. Pretty gross.

Last edited by Zulithe; 05-07-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

Man, trading cards just seem like such a hard sell these days. Some of the artwork we used to get on those Marvel trading cards was cutting edge for the medium, but I can't imagine myself ever picking up a pack now.

Maybe some of the fun is lost on me, because I don't feel like there is any sense of community around the hobby, which makes collecting feel sort of pointless. At least with comics you get art, a story to follow, and the collector aspect.

Don't even get me started on digital trading cards. Foreign concept to this old man.

But hey, I'm glad for anyone who is looking forward to these. My intention isn't to piss on anyone's parade.

I suppose they could sell me on it if the artists were appealing enough, but the trading card medium can't support that. TMNT cards done by Frank Quitely, Jerome Opena, Joe Jusko, Greg Capullo, Frank Miller, etc.... I'd actually be there day one.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Digital trading cards? Is there even a point?

Not too fond of companies capitalizing on "digital" stuff like that to the extent that they have. Esp with games, for example, that put absurd prices on some in-game items that cost game currency used to disguise the real money cost. They're just digital files, so beyond paying someone to create it they otherwise cost a company nothing to sell as many as possible, so it's pure profit for them. To make digital items expensive is shameful.

I've got a couple pets in a game that I lucked out and got as rare reward/drop, but are otherwise sold in a premium shop for in-game currency that cost $25 and $30 in real money. Oh hell no. (They're two of the most pricey ones, but even all those that are half that are still a bit much for a graphic image on your screen.)

edit: Same thing that bugs me about digital movies and music, but at least I guess people can download and keep those in certain cases; however they should be a far better savings than the hard copy than what they seem to be if the manufacturing process has been removed and saved the companies a ton.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #26
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Isn't $100 to $150 per box what we expected though?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I'm out. I still have a crap ton of the TMNT TCG cards. I spent so much and was just barely able to 100% the set. And guess what? No one cares about or wants the leftovers. I'm done with that.
I hate to agree, but SO true. I have tons of Russian 2003 series TCG cards I can't unload.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #28
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Unfortunate. I haven't done cards in a long time, I wouldn't mind getting into it if the right hook were there. And it's no fun collecting if nobody else is anyway. Oh well, more money for figures
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #29
nevermore
Foot Soldier

I am quite disappointed. The release seems lackluster and doesn't seem to have any value. For this price point, Topps should have commissioned original artwork for these cards. I was picturing a release like the original Marvel Masterpieces, not simply copy/paste of existing artwork.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
For this price point, Topps should have commissioned original artwork for these cards. I was picturing a release like the original Marvel Masterpieces, not simply copy/paste of existing artwork.
They have, at least some, anyway. Steve Lavigne posted rough pencils for a few they had him come on board to do, they're on the Shellback Artworks Facebook page. Mirage style, pretty neat.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #31
nevermore
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They have, at least some, anyway. Steve Lavigne posted rough pencils for a few they had him come on board to do, they're on the Shellback Artworks Facebook page. Mirage style, pretty neat.
Nice! Didn't know of these.

Thanks for the link. Great page to follow, they have nice items listed for sale over the years. Went through their gallery.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #32
Brockon21
Hench Mutant

Late

I know I’m little late to this thread, but...

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!

😁

'I feel like a pizza." --Michelangelo

Please contact me if you have rare TMNT trading cards!

Brockon21 is offline   Reply With Quote