The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #101
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Saw this over the weekend, loved it. Definitely my favorite new school Godzilla flick, possibly my favorite kaiju flick ever
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #102
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Movie is... ehh... so so. The human, stuff, though, is appallingly BAD. And I liked the human stuff in the first one, even if there was disproportionately too much of it vs. the monster stuff.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...e/MonsterVerse

Also... daamn. It had a bigger budget than Godzilla (2014) AND Skull Island and still had a weaker opening than either movie. Lucky for fans that they already wrapped filming on Kong vs. Godzilla or that would be toast for sure.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #103
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Granted it didn't have as big an opening as hoped, but everyone who was in the theater when I saw it Thursday afternoon (first showing!) seemed to love it. The monster battles were INCREDIBLE, there was MORE than enough monster mayhem to go around, and I actually enjoyed most of the human parts. My only real "complaint" was- not enough Mothra. There was such a big buildup about her, and then- barely there. Although, what we DID see of her was GORGEOUS. Amazing effects, and Ghidorah was just- WOW. Same for Rodan. And they definitely teased Kong. I just want to know what some of the othees shown were. A few were recognizable, but....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #104
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I for one loved the film. Yeah most of the human element fell pretty flat but that’s not what I’m interested in when I sit down for a kaiju flick so it was no big loss to me.

After seeing this over the weekend I rewatched Kong: Skull Island on Sunday and the 2014 Godzilla yesterday. Skull Island is still pretty dang great, both as a kaiju flick and just as a movie in general, but I kept literally falling asleep during Godzilla. Like I get that they were trying to build tension, but having pretty much the whole first half of the film go by without giving us more than the merest of glimpses of Godzilla is definitely less than ideal. The MUTOs, unfortunately, are also just pretty boring, both design wise and story wise. Not a particularly remarkable film. But hey, it kicked off this whole MonsterVerse thing so I’m thankful for that.

Honestly I was nearly ready to sit down and watch King of the Monsters again right after finishing it, that’s how much I liked it. Maybe it’s because I didn’t like Avengers: Endgame as much as I’d hoped I would (I think the reviews for that film will reflect more dissatisfaction over time. It’s good but not great) and the Game of Thrones series finale was such a letdown. I’m super pumped for Godzilla vs. Kong now and am very curious to see what else they reveal about Atlantis and the Hollow Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Amazing effects, and Ghidorah was just- WOW. Same for Rodan. And they definitely teased Kong. I just want to know what some of the others shown were. A few were recognizable, but....
They definitely took inspiration from Toho for some of the other kaijus featured in the film but all the rest of the ones appearing in this film were original creations, as the studio didn’t want to spend the money to both get the rights to use additional named kaiju AND to realize them with digital effects.

I know the mammoth/ape-like one is called Behemoth, and the spider/crab thing is Scylla.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #105
snake
Disgusting

Just watched this today- absolutely loved it. Critics are, as usual, dead wrong. That end credits song might be the hypest sh*t of all time. I cannot wait for Godzilla vs Kong.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 AM   #106
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I hope Godzilla vs Kong makes a lot of money to make of up for this one under performing. I really, really want this franchise to continue.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #107
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Yeah, I hope Godzilla vs Kong makes a lot of money to make of up for this one under performing. I really, really want this franchise to continue.
I have no idea where they'd even go after this (like, other than "into pure, unadulterated schlock"... like building Mecha Ghidorah or something).
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #108
snake
Disgusting

Monster-apocolypse world with hollow earth lore is a pretty cool setting for these movies.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #109
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Just watched this today–absolutely loved it. Critics are, as usual, dead wrong. That end credits song might be the hypest sh*t of all time. I cannot wait for Godzilla vs Kong.
Hell yeah, brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Hell YEAH, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have no idea where they'd even go after this (like, other than "into pure, unadulterated schlock"... like building Mecha Ghidorah or something).
HELL YEAH, BROTHER!!!!!!!

*Also, Mecha-Ghidorah was my first thought, too, but I wonder if they're actually building towards Destoroyah/Destroyah??? Rehashing King Ghidorah as a cyborg could be cool but why not just give us a whole new kaiju? Plus, wasn't that the Bad Guy's whole deal in the movie, trading in kaiju, *sorry* "titan" DNA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Monster-apocolypse world with hollow earth lore is a pretty cool setting for these movies.
Plus a little bit of Atlantis/a lost civilization mixed in??? Hell yeah, brother.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #110
snake
Disgusting

They need to go full schlok and play it 100% straight.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
*Also, Mecha-Ghidorah was my first thought, too, but I wonder if they're actually building towards Destoroyah/Destroyah??? Rehashing King Ghidorah as a cyborg could be cool but why not just give us a whole new kaiju? Plus, wasn't that the Bad Guy's whole deal in the movie, trading in kaiju, *sorry* "titan" DNA?
It's either Mecha Ghidorah or a cloned Ghidorah, I think. Or they try to "perfect" Ghidorah's DNA and end up with something else entirely. Either way, guaranteed to be a thing that Kong and Godzilla stop fighting each other over to unite against.

Quote:
Plus a little bit of Atlantis/a lost civilization mixed in???
Didn't they blow that up in this movie?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #112
Fanoftheweek
Banned

Can't be Ghidorah. Allen has the head and he's not in GvK. The credits speak of a metal giant being built on Skull Island by Monarch though. Considering Kong plays a big part of the next film, I think that'll definitely come into play. I personally believe it's Mechagodzilla. That's what one of the biggest leakers of this movie is saying too.
Fanoftheweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #113
AquaParade
Banned

I was really looking forward to this but critics made it sound so bad! I'm waiting on a rental, but if I enjoy it, I'll regret having not seen it on the big screen.

I'm well aware that you can't always depend on the critics, but it can be somewhat helpful to take a look. I can't deny the fact that critics warned me away from Suicide Squad before I dragged two friends to it and felt the urge to leave or light myself on fire thirty minutes in.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #114
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanoftheweek View Post
Can't be Ghidorah. Allen has the head and he's not in GvK. The credits speak of a metal giant being built on Skull Island by Monarch though.
Oh, it did? Then that cinches it. We'll get Mecha-something in Godzilla vs. Kong, that they have to team up against in the end.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #115
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It's either Mecha Ghidorah or a cloned Ghidorah, I think. Or they try to "perfect" Ghidorah's DNA and end up with something else entirely. Either way, guaranteed to be a thing that Kong and Godzilla stop fighting each other over to unite against.

Didn't they blow that up in this movie?
Yeah, they blew up the "Temple of Godzilla" or whatever tf that was but if they go full-on Journey to the Center of the Earth and explore the Hollow Earth I'm sure they could work in more references/allusions to whatever lost civilization that was. Or maybe they travel inside the earth and discover that the lost civilization is now found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanoftheweek View Post
Can't be Ghidorah. Allen has the head and he's not in GvK. The credits speak of a metal giant being built on Skull Island by Monarch though. Considering Kong plays a big part of the next film, I think that'll definitely come into play. I personally believe it's Mechagodzilla. That's what one of the biggest leakers of this movie is saying too.
Alan Jonah not being in Godzilla vs. Kong is inconsequential. He was stated to deal in kaiju DNA, so he could have just sold King Ghidorah's head to the highest bidder by the time the events of the next movie unfold. Him not being in the movie is no biggie, really.

I do think we'll get some sort of mecha-kaiju in the next movie though, or maybe a cyborg one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I was really looking forward to this but critics made it sound so bad! I'm waiting on a rental, but if I enjoy it, I'll regret having not seen it on the big screen.

I'm well aware that you can't always depend on the critics, but it can be somewhat helpful to take a look. I can't deny the fact that critics warned me away from Suicide Squad before I dragged two friends to it and felt the urge to leave or light myself on fire thirty minutes in.
As with all things, your mileage from this particular movie will vary based on your interests. I, personally, loved it, but I went in knowing what to expect and what not to expect. The critics rating this movie? Not so much, it seems.

(and holy sh!t, yeah, Suicide Squad blowed so hard )

Quote:
Oh, it did? Then that cinches it. We'll get Mecha-something in Godzilla vs. Kong, that they have to team up against in the end.
Yeah, GvK will definitely pull a Batman v. Superman and pit them against each other, hash out their misunderstanding some how, and then team-up to kick something else's ass and then part ways with some level of mutual respect for each other.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #116
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Watched KOTM last night and almost had the feeling we were gonna have another Avengers moment on our hands where Mothra played the part of Captain Marvel and only showed up for a few seconds, but I wasn't disappointed. The fight scenes and destruction were amazing.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #117
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Watched it last night. HELL of a badass movie.

Sometimes a man just needs to watch giant reptiles smashing the crap out of each other and the entire planet.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #118
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It didn't kill my interest in the series... but it definitely killed my faith in their ability to do convincing human stuff anymore.

"Who even cares about the human stuff??" you might say. Well, not me. But they do, apparently... they fill the movie up with it. And it's bad, this time around. Really bad.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #119
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It didn't kill my interest in the series... but it definitely killed my faith in their ability to do convincing human stuff anymore.

"Who even cares about the human stuff??" you might say. Well, not me. But they do, apparently... they fill the movie up with it. And it's bad, this time around. Really bad.
I can't argue with that.

I really enjoyed Millie Bobbie Brown, but the human stuff was just agonizing. Get back to the monsters and destruction. I really don't care about Andrew (the kid, not Andrew NDB) or why his dad become an absent alcoholic or how mommy snapped and went insane and tried to murder the world with an eco-terrorist.

I came for the three-headed dragon fighting a giant lizard that breathes blue atomic fire. Save the human drama for Oscar bait.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #120
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I like Millie Bobbie Brown's character but didn't care much for the parents, I liked the other Monarch characters more then the last two movies though.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote