The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #141
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Kate starting out as a cocky asshole isn't any worse then Oliver starting as a homicidal maniac
I don't think I'd append the word "maniac" to that. I can't think of anyone he killed that didn't deserve it, off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Wasn't there a whole plot line about Batman training dick so he WOULDN'T turn out like him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
After Batman died in Final Crisis or whichever crisis it was, Dick took over the mantle.
There was two storylines and that was the second. The first was a decade+ beforehand, "Prodigal," where after the smoke cleared from Knightfall, KnightQuest, and KnightsEnd, Bruce gave the mantle to Dick while he worked on himself elsewhere for about a year.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #142
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There were two storylines and that was the second. The first was a decade+ beforehand, "Prodigal," where after the smoke cleared from Knightfall, KnightQuest, and KnightsEnd, Bruce gave the mantle Dick while he worked on himself elsewhere for about a year.
Oh that's right, I forgot about Prodigal. I still need to collect that.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 AM   #143
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I don't really have a issue with Batwoman wanting the credit when Earth-1 Batman's been gone for what, three years?
I don't mind an edgy, cocky female hero. I do mind if they're a carbon copy of a male character and that edginess acts as a way to advertise the franchise's wokeness. It's too forced. It wants to make a political message, but it doesn't understand the politics their commenting on.

This isn't creative. It's not putting a new and fresh spin on a character. It's basically asking "What if Batman was a lesbian, but everything else was exactly the same." And that's just riding the popularity of an already established character.

They do this with a bunch of characters, and I find it kind of offensive that companies don't push original characters who happen to be in a minority group. Wolverine and Thor are women. Batman's a lesbian.

I'm sure that this is doing some good on a social level. It's making a historically oppressed groups mainstream. It's showing that they're just as capable as the straight white males who've dominated pop-culture since forever.

And it's not like it doesn't work. I love Miles Morales. He's a very compelling character. More often than not, though, most of these forays into diversity just feel forced, and done more for the controversy than for the actual appreciation of the cultures the characters represent.

Personally, I'd rather see original characters represent these groups. I know a lot of them fall flat, but that's par for the course with any character. How many Golden Age heroes still exist today? Getting something with staying power isn't easy. But every so often we get a real gem out of these things.

Black Panther, Modern Family, Mr. Sulu, Power Man, Storm, Cyborg, and just because I'm convinced they are: Sam and Frodo from Lord of the Rings. That sexual tension was PALPABLE.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #144
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

DC
‏Verified account @DCComics
5h5 hours ago

The world of #DCTV is coming to @comic_con! Head here for details on @warnerbrostv's #SDCC2019 events: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...iego-comic-con #WBSDCC #DCSDCC #SDCC50

I just hope someone has the balls to ask why the Batwoman Trailers come off as super Anti-Male and cringy as hell. Also that song where the person screams I AM A WOMAN in the trailers needs to be addressed
Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #145
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They probably won't even open it up to the audience. That, or they'll pre-screen questions before they let people go up to the mic.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #146
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Batwoman Pilot was shown at SDCC

SDCC Batwoman Pilot Review: Exciting Moments and Raw Potential Shine Through the Mess

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/19/...-cw-sdcc-2019/

However, the pilot as a whole is messy, bland, and a bit of a drag.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #147
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Batwoman Panel is today.

Geek Vibes Nation @ SDCC
‏ @GeekVibesNation
20m20 minutes ago

Bruce Wayne/Batman might appear eventually on #Batwoman producers say but WB has such a tight grip on the character. They did say that Burt Ward will make a cameo this season #SDCC

Cinemania World Podcast @ #SDCC
‏ @CinemaniaWorld
15m15 minutes ago

#Batwoman Panel Highlights:

· Villains from the Batman and Batwoman rogues gallery will appear along with new ones
· Tommy Elliot's #Hush will be in the show
· Possible Supergirl cameos
· Will explore more of Kate Kane's sexuality
· Bruce Wayne MIGHT be in the seasin
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #148
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ruby Rose lashes out at "old white men" as debut gets closer:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/25/ruby-...ting-10804760/
Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #149
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Ruby Rose lashes out at "old white men" as debut gets closer:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/25/ruby-...ting-10804760/
I am a 32 not so old white man and I will not be watching this wokefest
Old 09-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #150
IMJ
Emperor

-raises hand- Also "old" white guy here (roll's eyes at this level of ********). I wouldn't even pirate this show. And I'd have faith in the silent majority of humanity to reject this show, but the CW zombies might keep it going for a while, even if they hate it.

Got to fight your addiction when it comes to BS. It always amazes me how being "inclusive" is somehow always so excluding of traditional people in today's climate....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #151
Leo656
The Franchise

I picked up a bunch of her books when the character was fresh. I love the costume, so I was hoping that there'd be an actual "character" part to the character, and not just an awesome visual.

Nah. "I got kicked out of the Army because I'm gay, and I'm also Bruce Wayne's cousin, and I'm going to remind everyone reading about both of those things constantly." That's the entire gimmick. Altogether, very forgettable.

I have zero problem with anyone being gay. BUT. I feel that some people need to understand - and I'm trying to be as polite as I possibly can, here - if you're NOT gonna take a trip to "Chow Down Town" right in front of me for my own entertainment, I don't give a sh*t! And neither should anyone else. You don't need to keep reminding me who you prefer to go down on. Not unless you're offering me a show.

It's comical to me that many people who aren't straight will claim that they do NOT want to be solely defined by their sexual orientation... and yet, that's the only thing they ever want to talk about regarding themselves.

So yeah, based on the interviews I've read with her, Ruby Rose is a perfect fit for Batwoman. "I'm gay and I'm pissed off at straight dudes, and that's my entire personality. There is absolutely nothing else about me that's interesting." Perfect fit.
---------------

I will say, though that her recent neck injury sounds like a real bummer. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #152
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I'll give it the Supergirl shake of 6 episodes or so... but I already know how it will go.

Like I said before, Batwoman seems like the magnum opus of what they've (I guess Guggenheim or whoever, who's gotten more and more clout even as all seasons of all shows have been bleeding millions of viewers between seasons?) been edging towards since the start of the Arrowverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I wouldn't even pirate this show.
lol... well...
Old 10-01-2019, 12:47 AM   #153
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm kinda tapping out on live-action super-hero fiction going forward. There's absolutely nothing I want to see.

Literally all of it is going into race-flipping, gender-flipping, orientation-flipping, "Controversy Creates Cash/Let's Piss Off The Hardcore Fans and Then Call Them Nasty Names On Social Media" nonsense. I want none of it.

In like 2007, for five minutes, it looked like we were finally gonna get comic book movies and TV shows that people who actually read comic books would recognize. Because we never actually had that before, not ever. So we got, like, Batman Begins, Man of Steel, Iron Man, and the first Captain America flick, and those were great. But THEN someone came up with a new, more "marketable" idea: Make everything a zero-stakes cartoon, AND, go above and beyond to piss off "fanboys".

Because god forbid that the people who kept DC and Marvel in business for decades back when all this stuff was "for nerds" ever get a bone, right? No, yeah, just market everything to the same people who hated and ignored all this sh*t until it became trendy. That's fine. "Super-heroes are stupid." "Y'know Magneto is gonna be black in the reboot?" "What? Well, okay, THAT is cool, I wanna see that! I never cared one bit before but I certainly care a whole lot NOW!"

Like I said, I'm more or less done. The super-SJW approach to every single project nowadays absolutely reeks of desperation.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #154
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm kinda tapping out on live-action super-hero fiction going forward. There's absolutely nothing I want to see.

Literally all of it is going into race-flipping, gender-flipping, orientation-flipping, "Controversy Creates Cash/Let's Piss Off The Hardcore Fans and Then Call Them Nasty Names On Social Media" nonsense. I want none of it.

In like 2007, for five minutes, it looked like we were finally gonna get comic book movies and TV shows that people who actually read comic books would recognize. Because we never actually had that before, not ever. So we got, like, Batman Begins, Man of Steel, Iron Man, and the first Captain America flick, and those were great. But THEN someone came up with a new, more "marketable" idea: Make everything a zero-stakes cartoon, AND, go above and beyond to piss off "fanboys".

Because god forbid that the people who kept DC and Marvel in business for decades back when all this stuff was "for nerds" ever get a bone, right? No, yeah, just market everything to the same people who hated and ignored all this sh*t until it became trendy. That's fine. "Super-heroes are stupid." "Y'know Magneto is gonna be black in the reboot?" "What? Well, okay, THAT is cool, I wanna see that! I never cared one bit before but I certainly care a whole lot NOW!"

Like I said, I'm more or less done. The super-SJW approach to every single project nowadays absolutely reeks of desperation.
The more time that goes on and the more "product" comes out the more I share your view on this. It used to be a dash of this or that, IF that (and that's fine, if it suits and elevates the story)... but now it's like there's a guidebook they have to follow on a corporate level.

The future of CBMs did look great around 2007-2008.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #155
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The more time that goes on and the more "product" comes out the more I share your view on this. It used to be a dash of this or that, IF that (and that's fine, if it suits and elevates the story)... but now it's like there's a guidebook they have to follow on a corporate level.

The future of CBMs did look great around 2007-2008.
I used to watch the Flash and Arrow and then I tried Supergirl for a while. There was an episode on Supergirl where this successful army/military girl (hottest girl on the show) delivers a line that says something like "I'm not going to spend my life working [in the military] for angry, old, white men".

I haven't watched an episode of that **** show since, and actually I think that line basically led to me giving up on all of those shows around that time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #156
Vegita-San
Emperor

It's a shame to see how bad hollywood has gotten.

even if you're NOT political, it's a turn off with how much political things have become.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #157
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
even if you're NOT political, it's a turn off with how much political things have become.
It's a turn off especially if you're not political.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #158
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's a shame to see how bad hollywood has gotten.

It's not that it's political, it's that the political stances are combative.

Think about it. Birds of Prey as a concept is itself political... a bunch of women fighting together. You don't need to lampshade it and crow "Oh holy crap, here a bunch of women! And what's more, they're BETTER than a bunch of men!"

Just let them be. Let the action, the film, speak for itself.

Same for a lesbian Batwoman. Or a black Green Lantern. Or anything.

Look at the Wonder Woman movie. That was a damn political movie, flying in the face of Hollywood's longstanding "girls can't frontline comic book movies because Catwoman and Electra." Nowhere did Wonder Woman say "grow a vagina" or something inane.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #159
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 10-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #160
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

https://collider.com/rachel-maddow-j...source=twitter

Rachel Maddow joins the cast as Vesper Fairchild a snarky news anchor/radio personality in Gotham

Tags
cubedyou'vedoneitagain