The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #381
dl316bh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I know it's deliberate, I'm not ****ing retarded.
Seeing as I made no mention or judgement on your intelligence or mental faculties, I'm unsure what prompted this defensive response, but it's really not necessary.

Quote:
Sonic 2's Special Stages...I've beaten plenty of hard games in my time. Castlevania, Battletoads, etc...but no mater how hard I try I can't beat all of Sonic 2's Special Stages with Sonic & Tails.
Tails can be dead weight in those stages, yeah. Eventually Sonic 2's special stages get to be like seeing lines of code in the Matrix. You just sort of get the gist of when to jump so Tails doesn't get hit. I'm pretty good at getting almost all of the rings with Sonic, so Tails never has more than ten to lose anyway. I kinda put him out of my mind entirely.

Quote:
I think Sonic 3D Blast, both versions, handled the concept much better. Especially the Saturn version with it's ability to roll down hills for more speed.
3D Blasts special stages were fine, but always felt kind of weird to me. But I only ever played the Genesis version. It felt like an idea meant more for a more powerful console.

Quote:
But Sonic Rush's Special Stages with the touch controls...ugh. I never did manage to get the 7th emerald.
I never bothered with them. I didn't enjoy Rush to begin with. Actually, I kind of hated it, to be honest. That game was awful with the endless series of bottomless pits, plus the screen size meant you couldn't see far enough ahead of you to react to most things that came up in time. I lost a lot of lives to bottomless pits because of poor placement and sudden platforms over pit sections.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #382
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I know it's deliberate, I'm not ****ing retarded. Deliberate or not, it looks like ****.
So...what exactly are you expecting from a game that's supposed to be going back to the roots of the Genesis days?

Last Movie Watched: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E6).
Last Video Game Played: Madden '18 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #383
sdp
<<raver>>

Don't mind Cure, he's just trying to keep Peanut's memory alive. Don't take it personal.

I like the special stage look but mostly for nostalgic reasons, then again this game is a love letter to nostalgic Sonic fans

I wonder if Sonicmania outsells Forces by a lot we'll see Classic Sonic take the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
They wont use Classic Sonic as the current mascot because then people will complain that Sega wont evolve with the times.
What do you mean, modern Sonic was revealed nearly 20 years ago, there's nothing "modern" about him anymore and looks straight out of the late 90s. If anything he looks more dated than classic Sonic who can now look "vintage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Played a bit of Sonic Advance earlier today and found it to be a pretty OK game overall thus far. Feels a lot like classic Sonic. What does everyone ehre think of the Sonic Advance series?
I only played the first one, it was the first Sonic game I actually owned (not played, played plenty of the original) since I only ever owned Nintendo consoles up to that point.

I loved it, it felt like Sonic and classic Sonic at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't offer a lot more than that but still loved it. All characters pretty much play the same though besides Kuckles/Tails abilities which only affect gameplay very slightly. The only one who is actually different is Amy and not in a good way. Always wanted to check out the other three.

The first Rush game I got bored of it since it did feel like only going right but I liked the boss fights. I actually like "going right" too but yeah it wasn't too memorable.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #384
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
So...what exactly are you expecting from a game that's supposed to be going back to the roots of the Genesis days?
Nothing. It looking like **** has nothing to do with expectation, it just looks like ****. Jesus.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #385
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Nothing. It looking like **** has nothing to do with expectation, it just looks like ****. Jesus.
Why does it look like ****? You're not giving any reasons why other than to just **** on the game.

Last Movie Watched: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E6).
Last Video Game Played: Madden '18 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #386
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Why does it look like ****? You're not giving any reasons why other than to just **** on the game.
He's talking about the bonus stage graphics.

Anyway, I can't f*cking wait for this game.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #387
dl316bh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Don't mind Cure, he's just trying to keep Peanut's memory alive. Don't take it personal.
Oh, I won't. I was just a bit taken aback.

Quote:
I wonder if Sonicmania outsells Forces by a lot we'll see Classic Sonic take the spotlight.
This game is definitely going to sell well, but I don't know about outselling. I'm trying to keep modest about sales expectations. Retro is definitely a good market for games, but they also sort of have a ceiling, because I've noticed some younger gamers don't really go for those sort of titles. I remember when Mega Man 9 and 10 came around, a few stories from people who remarked how much the game was nostalgia heaven for them, but they couldn't get their kids into it because they didn't get it. Too weird and blocky.

Of course, Sonic is not nearly THAT retro and probably doesn't have nearly that much of a disadvantage. Just something to keep in mind. Regardless, I think I recall Iizuka saying that if it sold really well, it would help determine what they did with the property going forward, so if it does sell a lot we're probably going to see a series of new classic styled Sonics like this.

Quote:
What do you mean, modern Sonic was revealed nearly 20 years ago, there's nothing "modern" about him anymore and looks straight out of the late 90s. If anything he looks more dated than classic Sonic who can now look "vintage".
Eh, I dunno, I think both looks are timeless enough. They're pretty simple. It's sort of like Mario and how he changes every now and then, but not that much because you don't really need to.

Quote:
I only played the first one, it was the first Sonic game I actually owned (not played, played plenty of the original) since I only ever owned Nintendo consoles up to that point.

I loved it, it felt like Sonic and classic Sonic at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't offer a lot more than that but still loved it. All characters pretty much play the same though besides Kuckles/Tails abilities which only affect gameplay very slightly. The only one who is actually different is Amy and not in a good way. Always wanted to check out the other three.

The first Rush game I got bored of it since it did feel like only going right but I liked the boss fights. I actually like "going right" too but yeah it wasn't too memorable.
Amy's more fun in Advance 3. I liked the partner system a lot. It's a shame it wasn't used in more interesting ways. The stages really should have been designed around different combinations, sort of like how Tails and Knuckles had their own paths in 3&K. I didn't think she was bad in the first Advance though, just different and taking some getting used to.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #388
Turo602
The King of Kings

Honestly, I'd like them to properly evolve Sonic in 3D while keeping Classic Sonic as a sub-series character. Like New Super Mario Bros. to 3D Mario. I don't necessarily want another Sonic Mania with those same 16 bit graphics, but an HD version of that with cleaner textures and more expressive animations. They could even do a game in the style of Classic Sonic from Generations and Forces rather than shoehorn him into 3D games. The 3D games on the other hand need to be completely revisioned.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #389
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
The graphics. Of the special stages. Look. Like. Actual. ****. Oh my God. I can't believe I have to go this far and reiterate something so simple like a thousand times.

At least Turo gets me.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #390
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

5 days til Sonic Mania.

Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #391
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
5 days til Sonic Mania.
Best pre-order deal I've seen still remains Bundle Stars offering 20% off until launch day.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #392
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Also, the PC version of Mania has been delayed to August 29th.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #393
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post

Also, the PC version of Mania has been delayed to August 29th.
I guess it's something that pre-orders get a complimentary Steam version of Sonic 1. Ah, if only it was the HD version though...

But I'm glad they decided to work some of the bugs out before releasing it. Let's hope it's a smooth launch on the 29th.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #394
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

Welp, plan to get the PS4 version.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:03 AM   #395
dl316bh
Hench Mutant

https://twitter.com/bradflick55/stat...02149742338048

All other Shooting Stars memes were just a prelude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I guess it's something that pre-orders get a complimentary Steam version of Sonic 1. Ah, if only it was the HD version though...

But I'm glad they decided to work some of the bugs out before releasing it. Let's hope it's a smooth launch on the 29th.
You mean the cell phone version, right?

If I remember right, those never landing anywhere else is down to the Nintendo exclusivity deal at the time. There's been talk that they wanted to bring them to Steam and the like before, but nothing's come of it yet. Hopefully, we'll get it at some point.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #396
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The game play has leaked all over Youtube.

Spoiler:
I quite like the act one boss battle in Hydro City, a twist on things where you're in the egg-o-matic and Eggman is planting bombs underneath you in the water
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #397
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
You mean the cell phone version, right?

If I remember right, those never landing anywhere else is down to the Nintendo exclusivity deal at the time. There's been talk that they wanted to bring them to Steam and the like before, but nothing's come of it yet. Hopefully, we'll get it at some point.
Yeah, but... why would Nintendo have anything to say about smart phone gaming? I really want Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1 and 2 HD on Steam. They released his Sonic CD remaster on just about every platform but Nintendo but not the other games.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #398
dl316bh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, but... why would Nintendo have anything to say about smart phone gaming? I really want Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1 and 2 HD on Steam. They released his Sonic CD remaster on just about every platform but Nintendo but not the other games.
I don't know, but as I recall, that was what it was. Sega's done it before, because Nintendo systems are frequently their best sales on hardware. I'm sure they'll make it to Steam eventually, though. Sega's been making a point to put a lot of games on Steam that weren't there before. I mean, freakin' Vanquish, my favorite game of the year I played it, just hit.

As for Sonic CD, remember that was in 2011. That was before the Sonic exclusivity deal for the Wii U.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #399
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

Well, gonna play Mania in a bit hopefully. How's everyone enjoying it so far?

It's been trending on Twitter and most reviews are praising it. Many gamers also hailing it as the best Sonic game ever.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #400
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So the leading theory for the PC delay of Mania is DRM. Lame! But I guess a company has to protect their IP.

View my sketch work!

Tags
papenbrooksonicfetish, papenbrooktriggered, sega, sonic