The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #61
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I can, easily. I'd love a street-level, realistic take with no mutants except the Turtles, Splinter, Leatherhead, and Old Hob. Foot Clan. Utroms. No time travel, no weirdness, just mutants hiding in a city, scraping together money, stealing food and supplies by cover of night, at war with the shadows and the Foot Clan. THAT would be prime TMNT for me.

Mirage/Image, but without the superheroes, the dimension hopping, the cyborgs, the time travelling. And WITH a greater focus on the existential needs and how hard it would be to find when you can't get a job or go into the 7-11 for beer and bandaids.

Been thinking of posting a "would anyone else like (idea)?" thread but haven't seen much point into it...
So in a nutshell: outcasts living on the edge of society trying to scrape by unnoticed who frequently encounter gang members?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
So in a nutshell: outcasts living on the edge of society trying to scrape by unnoticed who frequently encounter gang members?
If we're doing that, I'd make it a traveling story. Like "Kung Fu." The Turtles going across America and the world discreetly, encountering "gangs" and other problems native to wherever they happen to be.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #63
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
Well, the Oroku/Hamato war with Splinter and Shredder would still be a crux of it.

I'd want to see the Utrom/TCRI thing from Mirage kept as well. And I think the idea of a government agency investigating mutants (e.g. Bishop and EPF or maybe DARPA) would work well and not break the "grounded / street-level" mold.

No other mutants, no Mutanimals, no Bebop and Rocksteady, no Krang, no Null, no Baxter turning into a cyborg or a brain in a jar or fly, no other toy-geared characters.

Bleak. Existential. "Gritty." Character focused.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #64
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

You know, I'd really like an animated/live-action series that can do two things:

First, embrace a down-to-Earth tone akin to Mirage. Go into the wackier adventures (ex: time travel) minimally to none at all. Keep it grounded, but also incorporate more to the sci-fi genre with the Utrom. Krang/Ch'rell also, if you would want to use either as a villain.

Second, this is more of my own greed, but do story telling like Spectacular Spider-Man. Each episode could contribute to their own overarching narrative. For example, season 1 could contend with the criminal activity that the Turtles end up getting caught in. This could build towards the first appearance of the Foot Clan. Of course, that's just an example as it all depends on what the creative team is aiming for.

Honestly, you don't need the likes of Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang (depending on the person), Slash, or any mutant that debuted in Fred Wolf. It might lead towards an audience, but you don't need them to tell great stories.

Create new characters as we've seen from different incarnations. Null, Bishop, Bonesteel, Baxter, Hun, Karai (at first), the works can work as villains along with the Foot. You can also make new villains we've never seen; if you must use mutants, Hob, Leatherhead, maybe Slash if handled properly, or a new character could work.

There's plenty of material. If only it could be taken advantage of.
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #65
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
You know, I'd really like an animated/live-action series that can do two things:

First, embrace a down-to-Earth tone akin to Mirage. Go into the wackier adventures (ex: time travel) minimally to none at all. Keep it grounded, but also incorporate more to the sci-fi genre with the Utrom. Krang/Ch'rell also, if you would want to use either as a villain.

Second, this is more of my own greed, but do story telling like Spectacular Spider-Man. Each episode could contribute to their own overarching narrative. For example, season 1 could contend with the criminal activity that the Turtles end up getting caught in. This could build towards the first appearance of the Foot Clan. Of course, that's just an example as it all depends on what the creative team is aiming for.

Honestly, you don't need the likes of Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang (depending on the person), Slash, or any mutant that debuted in Fred Wolf. It might lead towards an audience, but you don't need them to tell great stories.

Create new characters as we've seen from different incarnations. Null, Bishop, Bonesteel, Baxter, Hun, Karai (at first), the works can work as villains along with the Foot. You can also make new villains we've never seen; if you must use mutants, Hob, Leatherhead, maybe Slash if handled properly, or a new character could work.

There's plenty of material. If only it could be taken advantage of.
That, too. I like that.

And I'd be okay with using Krang as I think IDW has done quite well by him. I just think that using Krang opens the door irreversibly to using Bebop and Rocksteady, and then Slash and Mondo Gecko, and pizza, and the Technodrome, and the Turtle Van, and before you know it, you're at mutant central and you've lost the special isolation of mutants that Mirage had. (When it wasn't crossing over with Image superheroes, or Complete Carnage and Radical and the Justice Force and all that.)

I'm a weird guy; I like my characters in bubbles of isolation. Batman and his family alone in Gotham; the Turtles, Splinter, and Leatherhead (and Hob) alone in mutantkind; the X-Men existing in a world without the Avengers or anyone else; et al.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #66
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
he'd become some kind of Human-Rat-Turtle-Bacterium-Fungus-Tree-Salmon-Rice abomination

I do prefer Yoshi as Splinter and can forgive other animal contact being involved, brushing it off as maybe interaction with the DNA from skin cells or something. But plants? No.. And the CAR?? NOOOoooooo... That car was awesome, but the mutagen aspect was going too far off in left field with it.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #67
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Quote:
That, too. I like that.

And I'd be okay with using Krang as I think IDW has done quite well by him. I just think that using Krang opens the door irreversibly to using Bebop and Rocksteady, and then Slash and Mondo Gecko, and pizza, and the Technodrome, and the Turtle Van, and before you know it, you're at mutant central and you've lost the special isolation of mutants that Mirage had. (When it wasn't crossing over with Image superheroes, or Complete Carnage and Radical and the Justice Force and all that.)

I'm a weird guy; I like my characters in bubbles of isolation. Batman and his family alone in Gotham; the Turtles, Splinter, and Leatherhead (and Hob) alone in mutantkind; the X-Men existing in a world without the Avengers or anyone else; et al.
It certainly is a pain in the shell to contend with Mutant City the second Krang comes in. Personally speaking, if Krang were used as a villain, I could see him maybe engineering a few mutants to help him in combat. Slash is an example that can fit in due to the Archie version being an alien. Scale Tail too (I'm biased to him ), maybe one other.

Also, this is another personal preference, I could see some mysticism if not done extensively. I've been watching a little Next Mutation, and Vam Mi or Dragon Lord could fit right in. If they were tackled in, say, a three season cartoon, probably best to let them appear near the end.

However, I do agree with you, Cy. It would be a nice change of pace to have a grounded TMNT with a limited selection. After all, considering the amounts of Bebops and Rocksteadys, where's the love for others?

Literally though, if mutants had to be used for the sake of argument, why not use some of the underused characters? I already mentioned Scale Tail for one. There's also Scratch as another; maybe Groundchuck and Dirtbag if we needed a mutant duo. It can really help with building the TMNT rogues gallery for future incarnations. We may have the Foot, the Triceratons, Baxter, and Rat King (as well as B&R and Krang), but I would like a greater expansion. Null, Hun, Bishop, and Hob since their respective introductions definitely offer it, but I'd like a little more.
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright
Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #68
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
It certainly is a pain in the shell to contend with Mutant City the second Krang comes in. Personally speaking, if Krang were used as a villain, I could see him maybe engineering a few mutants to help him in combat. Slash is an example that can fit in due to the Archie version being an alien. Scale Tail too (I'm biased to him ), maybe one other.

Also, this is another personal preference, I could see some mysticism if not done extensively. I've been watching a little Next Mutation, and Vam Mi or Dragon Lord could fit right in. If they were tackled in, say, a three season cartoon, probably best to let them appear near the end.

However, I do agree with you, Cy. It would be a nice change of pace to have a grounded TMNT with a limited selection. After all, considering the amounts of Bebops and Rocksteadys, where's the love for others?

Literally though, if mutants had to be used for the sake of argument, why not use some of the underused characters? I already mentioned Scale Tail for one. There's also Scratch as another; maybe Groundchuck and Dirtbag if we needed a mutant duo. It can really help with building the TMNT rogues gallery for future incarnations. We may have the Foot, the Triceratons, Baxter, and Rat King (as well as B&R and Krang), but I would like a greater expansion. Null, Hun, Bishop, and Hob since their respective introductions definitely offer it, but I'd like a little more.
I wouldn't mind Scale Tail or others. I like mutants, if done well. And I'm a sucker for some toys. (Where's my Herman the Hermit Crab action figure!?)

But I think one of the next TMNT iterations needs to swing back the pendulum to the other extreme; give us a grounded street-level take with a minimum of mutants, show that TMNT can appeal to more than just elementary school kids and the stereotypical "basement dwelling nerds."

Because again... Guardians of the Galaxy made it big, and they have a trash panda and a frickin' TREE as the main characters.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #69
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If we're doing that, I'd make it a traveling story. Like "Kung Fu." The Turtles going across America and the world discreetly, encountering "gangs" and other problems native to wherever they happen to be.
Quote:
Well, the Oroku/Hamato war with Splinter and Shredder would still be a crux of it.

I'd want to see the Utrom/TCRI thing from Mirage kept as well. And I think the idea of a government agency investigating mutants (e.g. Bishop and EPF or maybe DARPA) would work well and not break the "grounded / street-level" mold.

No other mutants, no Mutanimals, no Bebop and Rocksteady, no Krang, no Null, no Baxter turning into a cyborg or a brain in a jar or fly, no other toy-geared characters.

Bleak. Existential. "Gritty." Character focused.
I like what I'm reading so far. But I like the idea more of a private entity investigating them rather than the gov. Perhaps the same person/people could have a role small or big in some of the problems encountered by the turtles as they travel.

Also less Mutants in the traditional TMNT way. The "mutation" is more akin to character flaws and physical appearance. Quick idea is that Slash might have a giant slash down the side of his face and a snap to judgement personality. Or just be a gang member who prefers using a blade to murder/slash folks. Idk
Old 07-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #70
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Scale Tail or others. I like mutants, if done well. And I'm a sucker for some toys. (Where's my Herman the Hermit Crab action figure!?)

But I think one of the next TMNT iterations needs to swing back the pendulum to the other extreme; give us a grounded street-level take with a minimum of mutants, show that TMNT can appeal to more than just elementary school kids and the stereotypical "basement dwelling nerds."

Because again... Guardians of the Galaxy made it big, and they have a trash panda and a frickin' TREE as the main characters.
Wait until the next show.

It definitely should though. You can have a mutant heavy series at one point. Hell, even an alien focused or primarily down-to-earth material. However, it is best to balance a certain type of character to make them special.

Something tells me that the "How do you want next TMNT?" thread (or something of the sort) needs a definite revival. There are some ideas here for certain.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #71
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
Wait until the next show.

It definitely should though. You can have a mutant heavy series at one point. Hell, even an alien focused or primarily down-to-earth material. However, it is best to balance a certain type of character to make them special.

Something tells me that the "How do you want next TMNT?" thread (or something of the sort) needs a definite revival. There are some ideas here for certain.
We can discuss and dream all we want, but nothing we say matters. Nick will keep doing what it does, because toys and mutants and nostalgia sell.

If Laird still had a hand in the franchise, things would be different. But we're in for nothing but mutant heavy universes now, for better (IDW) or worse (Nick).

Still, though... there's always a chance a movie could be made that moves the pendulum back the other way.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Still, though... there's always a chance a movie could be made that moves the pendulum back the other way.
That's really the only way that happens. And it would have to be a passion project where a director approaches Nick to do it, not the other way around. Because if that doesn't happen, Nick will just leave TMNT on the shelf for a while, then eventually start up their focus group think tank to decide by Power Point presentation what the next McTMNT™ movie should be like for maximum profit.

But yeah, if said director's movie does great, that would probably give Nick pause at large. Like, "Oh, sh*t... we were wrong, TMNT for people other than exclusively for babies and toddlers actually sells. And the franchise gets to keep its dignity, say whaaaat?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #73
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

I did find that thread, or at least one of them:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...99#post1698999

I expanded a little on what I posted here, but it's a work in progress.

It sucks Mutant City is where we're at for now. Maybe something can lead to some changes eventually.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

All 3 TMNT cartoons are made for adults to enjoy. I don't know about the upcoming 2018 one yet, but hopefully it will be too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #75
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
All 3 TMNT cartoons are made for adults to enjoy. I don't know about the upcoming 2018 one yet, but hopefully it will be too.
Uh No, that's not even remotely true. The 4Kids one is better written than the other two but it's Still clearly only made for kids.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #76
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Uh No, that's not even remotely true. The 4Kids one is better written than the other two but it's Still clearly only made for kids.
Could it be made for both kids and adults? For general audience to enjoy.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #77
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Could it be made for both kids and adults? For general audience to enjoy.
No, adults are a periphery audience, these cartoons were made with kids in mind and only kids.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It's the same thing as Batman: TAS, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Young Justice, Teen Titans 2003, etc. Cartoons are made for kids, but they're written for adults.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #79
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
It's the same thing as Batman: TAS, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Young Justice, Teen Titans 2003, etc. Cartoons are made for kids, but they're written for adults.
Not all cartoons. Some, maybe.

Definitely not all.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #80
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Quote:
No.

The examples you provided were written for everyone. They mixed humor and action perfectly with excellent storytelling and character development. I should know because I grew up on these cartoons as a kid, this was my generation.

TMNT 2003 may do that, with its action for younger audiences and storytelling for all, but the other two TMNTs do not. The deadpan humor maybe with FW and the "darker" material and imagery in Nick, but it's not enough to prove your point.