The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Disney's Aladdin turns 25

25 years ago today November 25, 1992 Aladdin hit theaters. I love this movie its my favorite Disney animated feature. Robin Williams killed it as the Genie Steve from Full House was great as Aladdin. The songs were good and the animation was amazing.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder if this movie would have been viewed completely differently if it came out today because of the Arab setting based on Muslim culture.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Only have watched TV series.
Some day definitely need to watch Disney classics.

I always find it funny, that original version of the fairy tale, which this movie was based on, took place in China.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

The only Aladdin stuff I remember as a kid was playing the SNES game by Capcom. I know that the Mega Drive version by Virgin is considered superior, but the SNES version was also pretty fun. Me and my brother beat that game and had fun in it. It was no Mega Man, but it was a pretty solid game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

I always find it funny, that original version of the fairy tale, which this movie was based on, took place in China.
That's Disney for you.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

You guys really never saw Aladdin after all these years? It's one of the most popular and commonly replayed Disney movies. Over these last 25 years there were plenty of ways to watch it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's Disney for you.
It has not so much to do with Disney, but with the fact that despite being set in China a lot of stuff in original story are closer to Arabic mythology of the time. The fact that french writer Antoine Galland, included this tale into "1000 and 1 Night" collection, which originally it was not part of, didn't help.

In general, it seems Alladin was weird mish-mash of various stuff, which might be interpreted either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You guys really never saw Aladdin after all these years? It's one of the most popular and commonly replayed Disney movies. Over these last 25 years there were plenty of ways to watch it.
I was usually watching stuff on TV and Disney movies were not often broadcasted here, unlike animation series. And I kind of lazy, when ti comes to getting movies to watch on PC.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I haven't watched many Disney animation films tbh. I grew up with Toy Story, Monsters Inc and A Goofy Movie iirc. Dunno what else.

Disney to me has mostly been more about Donald Duck and Scrooge comics books. Disney comics were very popular in Europe in the 80s/90s.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This is one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters. I love this movie and its characters today just as much as I did back then.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Aladdin was a big enough part of my household that my brothers and I were the characters for one Halloween. In homemade costumes by our mother.

Spoiler:

I'm pretty certain that "my two front teeth" was not on my Christmas list in spite of their very obvious absence .

We not only had the movie, but also the SNES game (bought when the whole system was out with the bathwater, but we didn't care).
Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I had two Aladdin themed b-day parties, I loved this movie as a kid but it quickly got replaced by Power Rangers and Jurassic Park.

Quote:
I wonder if this movie would have been viewed completely differently if it came out today because of the Arab setting based on Muslim culture.
You are about to find out with the live action version.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Mena Massoud, who will be playing Aladdin in the live-action adaptation, paid tribute to the animated film on its 25th anniversary.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/25/alad...h-anniversary/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #12
Chris
Mad Scientist

Still my favourite animated movie ever.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
ABrown
Banned

Watching that movie in the theater at the age of 11 was very confusing for me. I didn't know if I was supposed to enjoy the movie on the same level that the 5-8 year old kids were, or was I supposed to be more entertained by the adult humor of the movie. And was it normal that I was finding Jasmine to be kinda hot? Very confusing for me.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote