The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Cylons I'm shocked and dismayed. Voyager your least favorite? SKIP IT?! You blasphemer!! Janeway and her crew were among tbe most interesting and well-developed characters, and had the added bonus of being COMPLETELY independant of the Federation since they were stuck flying blind in the Gamma Quadrant. And we got to see Q ask her to have his baby- certainly one of MY most memorable Trek moments, LOL!!

As an aside, no Cy, you're not the only Trekkie here. But I'd just as soon only watch the first couple of seasons of DS9. I got kind of bored with tbe political undertones it constantly threw at us.
See, I LOVE DS9. The politics, the wars, the religion, the humanity, the non-Federation of it all.

Voyager bored me. I wish it had been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new version). Nobody ever ran out of photon torpedoes, or gel packs, or dilithium, or anything. It never felt desperate.

I'll watch it for the EMH Doctor and Seven of Nine, but otherwise, snooze.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,362
DS9 is the best Trek series, then the best episodes of Next Generation, then a mix-up between TOS/Voyager/Enterprise where you cherry pick the good episodes and ignore the trash.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #43
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
See, I LOVE DS9. The politics, the wars, the religion, the humanity, the non-Federation of it all.

Voyager bored me. I wish it had been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new version). Nobody ever ran out of photon torpedoes, or gel packs, or dilithium, or anything. It never felt desperate.

I'll watch it for the EMH Doctor and Seven of Nine, but otherwise, snooze.

Are you sure we were watching tbe same episodes?! I remember quite a few times they ran out or had issues with gel packs, dilithium, or photon torpedoes. Not to mention running into several new species that made those things useless. Add in Q's repeated meddling and the Hirogen(sp?) and several encounters with the Borg and species 42-(sorry I forget the rest) and it was quite desperate indeed! The "year of hell" episodes especially. Neelix and Kes were some of the most unique races in Trek, and as you pointed out, both the Doctor and Seven were incredible characters. I'm fond of the friendship between Harry and Tom, B'lanna's conflicted personality (Maquee/Starfleet, human/klingon) and the odd dynamic of Tuvok and Neelix being so close. It was the discovery and interactions I loved. The only things I really enjoyed about DS9 were Quark, Odo, and Dax. Kira at times, but she was often too rigid. And Worf and O'Brien from the TNG crew being there. All the political and religious stuff left me kind of luke-warm. The time-travel episode back to Tribbles was fun though. And Odo playing hide and seek with kids on the station was amusing. He cheats though....
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Are you sure we were watching tbe same episodes?! I remember quite a few times they ran out or had issues with gel packs, dilithium, or photon torpedoes. Not to mention running into several new species that made those things useless. Add in Q's repeated meddling and the Hirogen(sp?) and several encounters with the Borg and species 42-(sorry I forget the rest) and it was quite desperate indeed! The "year of hell" episodes especially. Neelix and Kes were some of the most unique races in Trek, and as you pointed out, both the Doctor and Seven were incredible characters. I'm fond of the friendship between Harry and Tom, B'lanna's conflicted personality (Maquee/Starfleet, human/klingon) and the odd dynamic of Tuvok and Neelix being so close. It was the discovery and interactions I loved. The only things I really enjoyed about DS9 were Quark, Odo, and Dax. Kira at times, but she was often too rigid. And Worf and O'Brien from the TNG crew being there. All the political and religious stuff left me kind of luke-warm. The time-travel episode back to Tribbles was fun though. And Odo playing hide and seek with kids on the station was amusing. He cheats though....
They'd run out for exactly one episode. And then be fine again. Never any lasting consequences; every episode hit the reset button and there was never any lasting consequences.

There are plenty of decent episodes in there (mostly regarding the new species, Hirogen, Species 8472, and the Borg), but all of the characters were just too familiar.

Oh, look, another Klingon in Starfleet who's conflicted over his/her parentage.
Oh, look, another freshfaced ensign.

And I hated Kes. Neelix... eh, maybe.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #45
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 13,875
The writer of Wrath of Khan is set to write an episode

http://comicbook.com/2016/08/28/wrat...overy-episode/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
They'd run out for exactly one episode. And then be fine again. Never any lasting consequences; every episode hit the reset button and there was never any lasting consequences.

There are plenty of decent episodes in there (mostly regarding the new species, Hirogen, Species 8472, and the Borg), but all of the characters were just too familiar.

Oh, look, another Klingon in Starfleet who's conflicted over his/her parentage.
Oh, look, another freshfaced ensign.

And I hated Kes. Neelix... eh, maybe.

There were plenty of consequences. Seven and the Borg children proved instrumental in several encounters, they were so badly damaged during the "year of hell" arc that they nearly lost the ship, Q offered a quick fix- and Janeway rejected it- and the biggest issue was of course that in all of this, they had NO contact with Starfleet much less any help from home until the last couple of seasons when they finally managed to establish limited periodic contact. Each time they had problems, they had to solve it completely alone- no allies or cavalry to rely on. It actually had more continuity than even TNG.

Klingons in Starfleet being conflicted over parentage? Worf never was. Alexander maybe, but only because he was the only kid around who was one. Worf's biggest issue was his family's dishonor, which isn't the same thing as B'lanna being a half-breed. Ensign Kim was essentially a foil for Paris, the "straight" half of their mild comic relief. Young sure but I like him FAR better than Wesley. I thought Kes was an interesting character based on her relationships with Neelix and the Doctor, made more complicated by her species rate of aging.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #47
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
There were plenty of consequences. Seven and the Borg children proved instrumental in several encounters, they were so badly damaged during the "year of hell" arc that they nearly lost the ship, Q offered a quick fix- and Janeway rejected it- and the biggest issue was of course that in all of this, they had NO contact with Starfleet much less any help from home until the last couple of seasons when they finally managed to establish limited periodic contact. Each time they had problems, they had to solve it completely alone- no allies or cavalry to rely on. It actually had more continuity than even TNG.
I don't see it that way. Things only carried over to recurring losses/themes in rare instances, and most of the time was very "alien of the week" and reset buttons everywhere. Maybe my views will become less harsh when I do a comprehensive rewatch in a year or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Klingons in Starfleet being conflicted over parentage? Worf never was. Alexander maybe, but only because he was the only kid around who was one. Worf's biggest issue was his family's dishonor, which isn't the same thing as B'lanna being a half-breed. Ensign Kim was essentially a foil for Paris, the "straight" half of their mild comic relief. Young sure but I like him FAR better than Wesley. I thought Kes was an interesting character based on her relationships with Neelix and the Doctor, made more complicated by her species rate of aging.
I misspoke; what I meant to say was Klingon HERITAGE, not specifically parentage.

And I'll give you Kim over Wesley; at least Kim got in on his own merits and not the coattails of his mom's lab coat.

Ugh. Kes is the worst Trek character ever for me. Worse than Wesley, worse than Neelix, worse than anyone. Did not like her at all.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,810
Why is that? I thought she was just fine. Different strokes I guess.

I was/am a big fan of Voyager in general, I liked the more self-reliant aspect of the show, the fact that most of the species they encountered were hostile and they had no backup, which really brought the "lost explorer" theme home. It felt like what the early explorations might have been like (and Enterprise tried to capture that too but wirh far less success) and the added dynamic of mixing two crews (Federation and Maquee) made for some interesting dramatic tention in the early seasons. Learning to work together and trust each other in spite of differences- exactly what a ST series should be. All the outside threats maxe it more urgent IMO.

Klingons in general have never seemed overly concerned with what others tbink of them, and Worf only worried about the honoe of his family being tarnished as being branded traitors. I think that B'lanna dealing with racism as a child and her dismissal of her Klingon heritage for the early part of the show was more indicative of her own personal experience than any issues of Klingons in the Federation as a race. It was very personal and had roots in how she was treated, where Worf was raised among humans but still fully embraced his heritage. Alexander was conflicted to a point, but more because he had little contact with his people beyond his dad and occasionally his mother when she appeared.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #49
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The writer of Wrath of Khan is set to write an episode

http://comicbook.com/2016/08/28/wrat...overy-episode/
He's a pretty good writer, so I hope he comes up with something as epic as Wrath of Khan was.
__________________

Last edited by TigerClaw; 08-28-2016 at 09:29 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #50
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,706
So apparantly the main character in ST: Discovery will be a one off character from the original TOS pilot that was played by Majel Roddenberry simply known as Number One...well alrighty then. Now who would be a good young Majel?


https://scifibulletin.com/2016/08/29...-on-star-trek/
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #51
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,706
Welp looks like we won't be seeing Star Trek Discovery in January. It's been delayed to May.This is being done so they can deliver the best stuff possible for the show. They haven't even started filming yet anyways.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/76...until-may-2017
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,957
Double uh-oh... Fuller is out as showrunner.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wrunner-941587

Sure, he had other projects to do. Mmm-hmm, that's why he left. Not at all creative differences. Mmm-hmm.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #53
Spike Spiegel
Jiggly and Full of Juice
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
The CBS All Access show features the franchise's Enterprise, now known as the U.S.S. Discovery. The drama will introduce new characters seeking new worlds and new civilizations while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Sources tell THR that the rest of the cast also will feature an openly gay actor as one of the male leads (which Fuller confirmed), a female admiral, a male Klingon captain, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor.
Look at the bright side--

If there are too many corporate cooks in the kitchen and too much pandering--and this series ends up being really bad--maybe more people will appreciate Enterprise.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #54
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Double uh-oh... Fuller is out as showrunner.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wrunner-941587

Sure, he had other projects to do. Mmm-hmm, that's why he left. Not at all creative differences. Mmm-hmm.
Yeah, the fact he has other projects over this one is in itself, a creative difference.

As a Showrunner, that show should be your #1 priority, you can worry about your other projects later.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah, the fact he has other projects over this one is in itself, a creative difference.

As a Showrunner, that show should be your #1 priority, you can worry about your other projects later.
He just suddenly realized that now? This, coupled with the almost year delay announced... something is rotten.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He just suddenly realized that now? This, coupled with the almost year delay announced... something is rotten.
Agreed. Perhaps the financial drop from "Into Darkness" to "Beyond" is having them rethink some things?
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #57
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior
 
Zak The Neutrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 654
Or maybe they are realizing that no one is going to buy into this stupid CBS pay app to actually watch this show.
__________________
Zak The Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #58
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino View Post
Or maybe they are realizing that no one is going to buy into this stupid CBS pay app to actually watch this show.
Ooooh, I forgot about that. Hopefully that.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #59
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,913
The number of people who will be interested enough in this show to pay for a CBS app is very low. What were they thinking? Why not air this on TV? Are they trying to be like Netflix and have "original content" that streams? What backwards-ass corporate dinosaur thought this up?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #60
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
The number of people who will be interested enough in this show to pay for a CBS app is very low. What were they thinking? Why not air this on TV? Are they trying to be like Netflix and have "original content" that streams? What backwards-ass corporate dinosaur thought this up?
Yeah, This is the opportunity for CBS to air it on there network, and they shooting themselves on the foot.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cuck trek, sjw trek into cuckness, sjw trek: discuckery, star_trek_into_cuckness, the undiscovered cuckery, the wrath of cuck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.