The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #141
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

I don't get why people go by what critics or other online reviews say. There are ton of movies that are repeatedly bashed by critics and I enjoy them very much.
Critics aren't always right lol, it's the same mistake I made with GOTG or any other over hyped film.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #142
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

So the reviews are averaging out at around a C grade or 6/10 with the consensus being it's not as terrible as originally thought but not close to being good?

That's just great.

Didn't see this review posted yet:

http://www.slashfilm.com/teenage-mut...urtles-review/

Quote:
The biggest problem with Jonathan Liebesman‘s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is how disposable it is. If the movie was silly and goofy, but entertaining and engaging even on the lowest level, it might be something worth talking about. But this movie is a cinematic flatline that shows rare blips of life only to crash back down again into nothing.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #143
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
I don't get why people go by what critics or other online reviews say. There are ton of movies that are repeatedly bashed by critics and I enjoy them very much.
Critics aren't always right lol, it's the same mistake I made with GOTG or any other over hyped film.
Exactly, Critics hated the previous TMNT movies, So this is no different.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #144
fridaynightdestination
Banned

IGN Review:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...ource=facebook

I can't deny all these negative worries me, but hey, I liked Brick Mansions, I, Frankenstein, Transcendence, and Transformers: Age of Extinction, some of the worst reviewed movies of the year so far. So I think I' might like the new movie.
fridaynightdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #145
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Misspelling a character's name doesn't invalidate everything else they write.
It should. One of the most important parts of their job is spelling. If you can't take the time to proof read something you're publishing, and don't take the time to make sure you're spelling is correct, and your thoughts are coherent, then how can you be trusted? They don't even care about how they represent themselves. This is a common theme on the internet, get your blog post out there first don't worry about spelling or making sense.

Like I said I bet these people go into a movie with a nearly completed review, and just add a little more detail as soon as they run out to their car from the theater.

Someone said they're not paid to hate movies. Ok well they're there to critique them. I'm speaking for myself here, but most of the time I want to go in with a clean slate and decide for myself, and I must say I enjoy a lot more movies now that I don't take other opinions in with me. The TMNT movie is going to be interesting, because I've gone against my normal way of movie viewing and basically read what happens in the whole movie.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #146
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Honestly, was anybody expecting this thing to get good reviews? I don't mean that in a nasty way either. I've been a fan of this thing all along, but I was never expecting great reviews.

The old turtle movies didn't exactly impress critics either. It's just something you have to be a fan of going in.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #147
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioLeo451 View Post
wow so this movie lacks both the charm and heart of the franchise because bay has his fingerprints all over it...I'm done
I gotta ask, you're done bc one review said that?

These critics are no different than any of us, save for the fact they get paid to post their opinions.

Critics, like us, are divided about this film...I've reading glowing reviews about the charm, the action, and humor...and others who hated it for the very same reason.

What some call a straightforward, uncomplicated storyline, others refer to as shallow...it's all relative.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #148
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Speaking of TheBostonNinjaTurtles, here is the Boston Herald's review. I'd much rather prefer a middle of the road critique to keep the media under control, and I sort of agree with it. It nicely gives the Nick show its due:

http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen..._ninja_turtles

Since the original 1990 film had similar reviews in terms of verdict at the time, I feel that there is still some potential, but ultimately, we as fans are our biggest enemies and contributors to the franchise. If we enjoy ourselves and share our good experiences, others will be determined.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #149
DioLeo451
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
I gotta ask, you're done bc one review said that?

These critics are no different than any of us, save for the fact they get paid to post their opinions.

Critics, like us, are divided about this film...I've reading glowing reviews about the charm, the action, and humor...and others who hated it for the very same reason.

What some call a straightforward, uncomplicated storyline, others refer to as shallow...it's all relative.
No I meant I'm done with what these critics have to say I haven't seen the film yet so there is still that but at the same time if history is indeed repeating itself then that's sad tmnt 1990 personally I would give a 8/10 just for being what it is if this new film does the same thing then these critics words of ''wisdom'' and fact mean absolutely nothing to me that's all I'm saying
DioLeo451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #150
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

Comic Book Movie's

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/teenag...news/?a=105151

I love this part right here...
Quote:
I’m a huge fan of Fichtner, back to the Prison Break days, but his role in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles didn’t quite work for me at the end of the film. I thought the performance was decent, but something was lost in the final confrontation. I can’t quite put my finger on it…
And this...
Quote:
Shredder was severely lacking in regards to backstory and character development. He’s the main villain, but we don’t know much more than that.
LeoRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #151
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaph View Post
Comic Book Movie's

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/teenag...news/?a=105151

And this...
That review seems positive
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #152
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Quote:
You might as well call it soul, and without it, any deeper viewer connection to these Turtles remains firmly at bay.

Quote:

Quote:
I’m a huge fan of Fichtner, back to the Prison Break days, but his role in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles didn’t quite work for me at the end of the film. I thought the performance was decent, but something was lost in the final confrontation. I can’t quite put my finger on it…
And this...

Quote:
Shredder was severely lacking in regards to backstory and character development. He’s the main villain, but we don’t know much more than that.
Yeah, I guess it's pretty obvious what happened there. Major plot/character changes during last-minute reshoots are never a good sign.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #153
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Yep, it's fairly obvious they changed what they wanted to do with Sachs/Shredder during filming based on the backlash from originally having a white Shredder. Of course there will still be people that think this was all part of their plan from the beginning.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #154
jenna
Mad Scientist

I'm not too disheartened by poor reviews - fantasy / action films tend to score quite poorly amongst critics, but can do brilliantly with audiences. However, I am getting the distinct impression that this film is going to suffer from the 2007 film effect... that it doesn't really know what it is.

That sounds crazy. Let me expand... The 2007 film seemed intent on satisfying 2 distinct and incompatible audience groups: fans that hungered for something dark and gritty with character conflict and that all-important showdown between Raphael and Leonardo (ie me) and, well, kids. As a result it was neither a dark and gritty film, nor a kids' film, it was just a chaotic mish-mash.

It seems that this film has created a look that is designed to have a darker impact than, say, the OT, with giant, hideous, bad-ass turtles which might be in keeping with a grittier tone, but mixed it with childish humour and an over simplistic plot, more in keeping with something that would entertain a younger audience.

Creators of TMNT films need to define their audience from the outset. 'Everyone' is too broad a term for property as specific as TMNT. As long as film makers are trying to cater for everyone, there is going to be missed potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Yep, it's fairly obvious they changed what they wanted to do with Sachs/Shredder during filming based on the backlash from originally having a white Shredder. Of course there will still be people that think this was all part of their plan from the beginning.
I don't see how anyone could successfully persuade us that it was all part of the plan. The name Eric Sachs is clearly an attempt to Westernise the name Oroku Saki. They may have been able to backtrack with on-set rewrites, re-shoots and pick-ups but the name Eric Sachs will be a lasting legacy of their original intentions. That and a weak principle villain with no depth or backstory.....

Last edited by jenna; 08-04-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: avoid double-post
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #155
voltron80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
haha
voltron80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #156
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

we'll have to keep an eye on rotten tomatoes as more reviews pop up, So far it has 4 reviews with one only being positive. And its the reviews some have posted here.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._2013/reviews/

The 1990 film did not get enough good reviews either, Yet, It became a beloved classic among TMNT fans. for this new film, Since this is being marketed towards children, Critics arent usually kind to Kids movies.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #157
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Honestly, is a bad RT score going to change anybody's mind about seeing it?

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #158
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raph View Post
Not at all
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #159
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
The opposite. Rotten Tomatoes is that Website where I don't care about what they say.

Transformers Age of Extinction got 17%, and I loved that movie. And I'm a die hard Transformers Fan.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #160
DioLeo451
Hench Mutant

Quote:
No not at all
DioLeo451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews