The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like indie games?
Yes, I buy as many of them as I can 0 0%
I like some of them, but not most of them 4 44.44%
I buy only very few 4 44.44%
I've never purchased an indie game 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do you actually buy all these indie games that come out?

I generally ignore 90% of indie games except the really standout ones like Shovel Knight, Hades, Bloodstained (although it's technically a Castlevania game), River City Girls (although technically it's not indie either), and so forth.

How many of you actually buy all these random indie games coming out for consoles every year? There's so damn many of them now they all just get lost in a sea of games together. I remember back in the PS3/360 gen, when indie games were just starting, they felt like a novelty having these short 2D games back as downloadable games on consoles. Then they just exploded and never stopped coming, now it feels like 100 indie games come out every month so I just stopped caring.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
sdp
-

I buy the indie games and in general games I'm interested but I also don't buy games Day 1 usually. I'm busy and don't have much time to play games so when I do I have old games to play. So yeah I usually just end up buying games when they're 90% off on steam so I pay very little, literal pennies for tons of games that got great reviews. That's the great benefit of PC gaming.

Hell many times I get them for free either through Amazon Prime or some of the competitors of Steam give them away for free so you use their services, they give away big games as well. I do buy a bunch of Nintendo games but those usually hold up their value so not much is lost if I sell them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I buy indie games if they look and play good, or if there's a lot of hype surrounding them. Other than that, no.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

I got in on the ground floor of Limited Run Games with their first release, Saturday Morning RPG and kept ordering all of their physical PS4 releases for maybe the first two years.

I had every game in duplicate and I think across that time I only ever opened and played one or two of old school shooters. I sold the entire collection about a year ago, although I held on to Oxenfree because I always intended on playing it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I have

Shantae
Shovel Knight
Hallow Knight
Do Ecchi games count as Indie like Gal guns or Gun Gun Pixies?
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

I have bought a lot of indie games on Switch, but mostly because they're insanely cheap, not so much because I'm that interested.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

I do not buy all the indie games that come out. But I do buy the ones that interest me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I swear there's like 100 indie games that come out every month. I have no idea how people even keep track of them all, and I visit videogame websites/forums every day.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #9
Turo602
The King of Kings

The indie scene has definitely grown out of control and feels unchecked with just how much garbage clutters the digital marketplace and daily deals. They've even made certain gaming events a little more boring to watch with how often some weird artistic hipster garbage pops up.

But overall, I can't really say its prominence bothers me much either. We've gotten so much great stuff from indie developers and studios over the years and with the way the industry has shifted, the indies have certainly filled the void of double A games which all the major studios just don't seem interested in investing in these days. They've also kept the retro experience alive and allowed for games like Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge to even exist.

I don't personally follow indie games closely, but if I ever catch wind of something that interests me, then I'll definitely pick it up like any other game that catches my interest. Stuff like Yooka-Laylee, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Little Nightmares, etc.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
The indie scene has definitely grown out of control and feels unchecked with just how much garbage clutters the digital marketplace and daily deals. They've even made certain gaming events a little more boring to watch with how often some weird artistic hipster garbage pops up.

But overall, I can't really say its prominence bothers me much either. We've gotten so much great stuff from indie developers and studios over the years and with the way the industry has shifted, the indies have certainly filled the void of double A games which all the major studios just don't seem interested in investing in these days. They've also kept the retro experience alive and allowed for games like Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge to even exist.

I don't personally follow indie games closely, but if I ever catch wind of something that interests me, then I'll definitely pick it up like any other game that catches my interest. Stuff like Yooka-Laylee, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Little Nightmares, etc.
It does seem like all you have to do now is get a game out there that is colored in gray-scale or black and white, add an atmosphere of slight morbidity to characters styled like paper cutouts, and you win awards for "high art gaming".
Old 08-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

For the most part, I end up getting whatever is included in various Steam-related sale packages like HumbleBundle or Fanatical Bundles, assuming there are one or two games I really want and all the rest is thrown in with it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Blindly buying indie games is nonsense to me. I usually end up hearing voices and suggestions about some indie games, and after some time I might end up buying them.

Not really because I don't trust indies, but just because I can concentrate better on the mechanics and what the games has to offer so I can clearly judge it from every perspective. And I don't have infinite money rofl.

And yeah I do agree on the fact that now almost every indie in existence has a chance to end up in a console, even though very few of them actually deserve it. Now it looks like an ending compilation of pixel art thingies with very little originality.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
Blindly buying indie games is nonsense to me. I usually end up hearing voices and suggestions about some indie games, and after some time I might end up buying them.
I agree completely, although I think in the case of a publisher like "Limited Run Games", you have that "physical media" component that sort of jazzed up collectors like I was (at that time).

You know? When LRG first started they were pumping out basically two games every fiscal quarter and it was a really cool collection that basically averaged to something like 25 bucks a month or so.

But then they were a hit and they exploited it terribly with collector's editions and almost weekly releases and it changed the paradigm completely. Now a gamer could have a collection of nothing but releases from LRG and the collection would be close to enormous.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Of course not. I'm not rich. There's like thousands of indie games out there at this point.

The only indie game I've spent a lot of time into so far was Stardew Valley.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:50 AM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Hard to say. Do all these new beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage 4, Mayhem Brawler, Shredder's Revenge and Final Vendetta count? There's gonna be a new Double Dragon coming out that's similar to River City Girls, does that count?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #16
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

I love Indie games, as well as movies and comics, but I wouldn't buy every single one known to man. I'm not made of money, and 95% of the stuff you'll find on Kickstarter, are likely going to be crap. But sometimes you'll find a diamond in the mine that'll blow you away.

Like Undertale
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
I love Indie games, as well as movies and comics, but I wouldn't buy every single one known to man. I'm not made of money, and 95% of the stuff you'll find on Kickstarter, are likely going to be crap. But sometimes you'll find a diamond in the mine that'll blow you away.

Like Undertale
You have to modify any post in response to a Cubed thread or post. He speaks in wild extremes all the time using words like "all", "everyone", and "only".
Old 05-20-2023, 09:02 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Almost forgot to add in Retromania, which is kinda like the spiritual successor to Wrestlefest. It has a couple of indie guys like the Blue Meanie and Sandman, but their biggest thing was getting the rights to use the Legion of Doom. I also love that they got to pattern one of their arenas with Pro Wrestling Tees logos.

I'll eventually buy that one.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote