The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Mirage TMNT artist?
Kevin Eastman 7 12.50%
Peter Laird 8 14.29%
Jim Lawson 16 28.57%
A.C. Farley 7 12.50%
Michael Dooney 10 17.86%
Dan Berger 2 3.57%
Eric Talbot 5 8.93%
Steve Bissette 0 0%
Rick Veitch 1 1.79%
Rich Hedden 0 0%
Mark Martin 0 0%
Mark Bode 0 0%
Michael Zulli 0 0%
Rick McCollum 0 0%
Rick Arthur 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #41
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Partly why I'm really happy to have two of the original pages from Turtles Take Time heh...
GAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

you lucky dawg you!!!!

that's great though! does the page look like Corben used traditional inks, or does it look more painted? like he used some sort of watercolor or gouache?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:11 AM   #42
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
that's great though! does the page look like Corben used traditional inks, or does it look more painted? like he used some sort of watercolor or gouache?
Here's one of the pages: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=881219

Need to take a shot without the acetate overlay on it. Looks like air brush or similar, definitely painted in some way.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #43
mrmaczaps
Banned

I voted Lawson for his own style artwork which oddly I didn't like at first. I'd take Laird over Eastman as I don't care for most of Eastman's turtles on his own. I think Pete gets a bad rap for not being more involved like Kevin is and fans (here & IRL) almost seem to disrespect Pete for that...
Dooney, Talbot and really all the early Mirage guys...

How do you REALLY choose.... lol. They all have their story that was done where you look at the artwork and something just pops off the page. V2 being all Lawson helped me really enjoy his work. The only v1 stuff I didn't like was that cartoony goofy buggin eyes slapstick looking art... late 20s/early 30s issues...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 AM   #44
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Here's one of the pages: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=881219

Need to take a shot without the acetate overlay on it. Looks like air brush or similar, definitely painted in some way.
that is EXCELLENT!! thank you for showing me that!

air brush, i would have never imagined. but that makes sense looking at the soft separation between tones and colors.

this is great to see as i'm more familiar with seeing pages Corben painted in a black and white palette with gray tones.

thanks again!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #45
AquaParade
Banned

As a side note, is there a particular tmnt artist you guys like to
Collect signatures from?

I've always been more of a Mirage fan than anything else, so why does the idea of getting a signed IDW comic appeal to me more than a Mirage signed collectible?

Can someone diagnose me?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #46
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
As a side note, is there a particular tmnt artist you guys like to
Collect signatures from?
Well... I usually just get the signatures to prove I've bought/supported some of that artist's work, and therein have an excuse to talk with them a bit and maybe even get a quick turtle sketch out of the dealio. So as far as artists who have been great to interact with... Lawson is always super upbeat and fun. I only met Berger in person once long ago, but he was also very nice and introduced me to the brilliant idea of getting signatures inside the comic near the credits so as not to taint the pretty art on the covers. I still get a little starstruck when getting sigs from Eastman and Laird (since they're TMNT royalty) so there's something fun to be had in that brush with fame, but they are often too busy with lonnnng lines to really talk turtles with. On that note, I met Sophie Campbell a few years back at a con and spent a good half hour shooting the shell with her. Would def like to meet her again! Let's see... Talbot is always a solid dude and one of the few who always remembers me... Murphy has some great stories... Caleb Goellner is a riot... Michael Dialynas is too... the list goes on and on! It's really amazing how almost everyone who works on turtles is super approachable and a genuinely awesome person to talk to!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #47
Turtles
Mouser

One week left on Lawson's Kickstarter

Hi there

I seldom post and rarely visit, but love that there are so many TMNT-fans out there.

One of my absolute favorite TMNT artists is Jim Lawson. He is a master storyteller, fantastic at creating rythm on a comic page. He has a Kickstarter going, only one week left and stille not quite there (but almost). Go, pledge. Let us have more Jim Lawson art in this world:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Best regards
Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote