The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow. Finally caught it. The Turtles have had plenty of good moments, but I'd say the animation direction in this one is among the highlights of the series in that regard. Writing was top notch as well.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #42
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Don't be a bitch, Marcel. I'm a big Usagi fan too. I've just known several people that have had trouble getting into it when starting from the beginning and I always encourage them to at least make it to "Circles".
okay, for a moment there it seemed like you were saying that the early books were kinda rubbishsorry, didn't want to tear yo head off actually...
I don't understand however how new readers wouldn't be hyped after reading samurai...its such a nice story with great art and atmosphere etc..
sure later material is often more complex or diverse but these are top notch comics.
@powder, I don't see everything from samurai up as 'rough'.. rogh in what regard?

@autobot benz
I advise you to get every usagi book you can find.they are all written in such a way that you can get into everything pretty easily.
if you want to buy them be on the lookout for the uy special edition reprinting all the fantagraphics material (that would be the first 8 books), it has more than 1000 pages of classic usagi and has been rereleased recently with a new slipcase and all..
Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Usagi is written in a way you can jump in at any time. I got/read all the Usagi books out of order when I was originally tracking them down and they're easy to get into. Usagi is basically episodic with only loose continuity going on throughout it so it doesn't matter where you jump in.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #44
TheJ-manTurtleMan
Stone Warrior

What does "Kagayke" mean? sorry if I'm being annoying with asking for all these translations.

"I love a little hot sauce on my pizza! I love a little hot sauce yes I dooo!"
TheJ-manTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #45
JH24
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ-manTurtleMan View Post
What does "Kagayke" mean? sorry if I'm being annoying with asking for all these translations.
Something like: Shine brightly, radiant. In the context (I think, not sure) that Kintaro finally finds his true self. Becoming a hero, a person who does the right thing. It's almost literal as well, as he appeared like a bright light when he released his powers.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #46
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

What I enjoyed the most episode was Kintaro unlocking his powers and Usagi defeating Jei. Overall, this was a great arc.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #47
Faster and Cheaper
Thug

Odd somehow I posted this in the wrong episode thread. Posting late at night is not a good idea I see SO let's run this back.

Cool enough end that I had some issues with from a story perspective. Anyway this was production wise the last team Mikey episode. They did great and I know it wasn't easy with all the ponchos, they were a hassle to deal with.

I enjoyed the mountain pass fight sequence with the snow cat ninjas. I got flashbacks to the Caradhras scene from fellowship of the ring. The final fight was pretty good too. I had a slight issue with kintaros change of heart, I did see that they did little things to show he was warming up to him, yet he's threatening to have one of the boys to have his head chopped off. I wouldn't have minded that in the last two episodes but it slightly annoyed me here.

But the bigger issue I had was his sudden use of magic. I figured we'd see it with him being the golden child but just a few hints of it would have been nice. But I appreciated the fact he just didn't totally solve it with his magic. Also it was nice to see that Jei's mind control wasn't so easily defeated as it looked in episode 1 of the arc. I figured his visions in previous episodes were just him messing with them externally but he still had his claws in deeper.

Overall I enjoyed it but I think it needed the fourth part more. Would have given the adventure have a more epic feel since we are traveling to a whole new world, and it would have been nice to see more of a bond with usagi and Leo, and even more opportunity to see more yokai like oni. Overall I enjoyed it and too bad they didn't get Usagi in sooner in the shows run. I would have rather that than all those farm episodes lol.
Faster and Cheaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Come to think of it, Kintaro, Sumo Kuma and that priestess(?) aren't actual Usagi characters, right? Just made up for this show? I could be wrong since I haven't read all of Usagi.

Seems kind of odd that the only real Usagi characters in these episodes are Jei and Usagi himself, seeing how the 4Kids show had at least six actual Usagi characters.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm honestly surprised they decided not to use Gen at all. They could have even made a Rocksteady joke like the 2k3 series did in that Season 4 ep.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #50
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Awesome ending to this arc. I really enjoyed seeing it and loved how Leo talked to Kintaro and was able to get him to change in his own way. Loved the scene with the neko ninjas and the final fight with Usagi and Jei. I agree that it's bittersweet that we won't get to see Usagi again in this incarnation, but that is the way it is and fan fiction can always set that right.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Come to think of it, Kintaro, Sumo Kuma and that priestess(?) aren't actual Usagi characters, right? Just made up for this show? I could be wrong since I haven't read all of Usagi.

Seems kind of odd that the only real Usagi characters in these episodes are Jei and Usagi himself, seeing how the 4Kids show had at least six actual Usagi characters.
I wonder if Sumo Kuma was originally gonna be Panda Khan until it was pointed out he's not owned by Viacom. Prolly not, but the design is similar.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #52
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Like everyone said, it's a really good episode. Love the action, the dialogue, the settings etc. Much was improved from the dreadful second episode.

Am I the only one upset that Raph and Donnie didn't even gave one last glance to Usagi before going through the portal? After all the hardship and bonding.... then they just walked by ignoring him, without any goodbye - like he meant nothing to them???

I wished they all hugged Usagi one last time since this is the last episode of the trilogy (and the last Ciro's TMNT season series). Oh well, I still love ya Yojimbo.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #53
TheJ-manTurtleMan
Stone Warrior

Such a good story, I wish we could have gotten one more episode, or at least a better episode than "Osoroshi no Tabi"
Here are some more of my thoughts
https://youtu.be/Yp1Y540Ar6Y

"I love a little hot sauce on my pizza! I love a little hot sauce yes I dooo!"
TheJ-manTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #54
Vegita-San
Emperor

Two fun usagi episodes. One Totally pointless and out of place filler horror episode.

The middle act should have gone over the lessons the main villain thought the turtles where teaching the kid. that felt like it came totally out of nowhere.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #55
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH24 View Post
Something like: Shine brightly, radiant. In the context (I think, not sure) that Kintaro finally finds his true self. Becoming a hero, a person who does the right thing. It's almost literal as well, as he appeared like a bright light when he released his powers.
It also seems to be a reference to an old J-Drama called Kagayake! Rintaro. I mean it's one letter difference so I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Though an American children's cartoon referencing a 12 episode drama from Japan released 22 years ago is a bit weird.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #56
Glitter Wand
Thug

This was the proper way to end this tale. I loved how Leo handled Kintaro. He was calm and kneeling to his level. The final showdown with Jei was amazing as well. I agree, it would have been very heartwarming for Usagi to have gotten some goodbye hugs, but the head munk informed the turtles the portal didn't stay open long. All and all, a powerful ending indeed.

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #57
THGhost
Puppet Master

Good episode. Only just got round to watching it and episode 10 due to the confusing episode numbers caused by some sites classifying When Worlds Collide as either 1 episode or 2 episodes.
  • I liked the snow ninjas. I'm guessing they're from the Yojimbo comics?
  • It's about time Kintaro proved himself. He was really getting on my nerves.
  • Surely Jei could tell that the turtles were no longer under his control?
  • Jei vs Usagi was great, albeit a little short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Now THAT, was worthy of following the first part of this arc. Masterfully done, damn. Can't believe they had the Neko Clan, in white & meowing, no less!
Agreed, the 2nd part didn't really gel with me.

So that's what they're called. Loved 'em.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
So that's what they're called. Loved 'em.
They're cool. It was a surprise to see them in white when they've always donned black dogi, but it was a dope look for their arctic escapades.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #59
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

I loved this episode and thought it was a worthwhile conclusion to the Usagi arc. It definitely made up for the wackiness of "Osoroshi no Tabi".

Like some of you have already mentioned, I was also bummed that the goodbyes were cut short. There always seems to be this singling out of Leonardo whenever Usagi is involved, and although I understand they're connection and respect for one another, I feel that the other Turtles would look up to and admire Usagi as well. Mikey would look to him as a heroic ronin that he's probably read about in his comics/manga, Donnie would admire his cunning and masterful strategy, and Raph would appreciate his fierce combat skills.

Usagi was made out to be a total badass in this arc, and I loved it. Just wish we could've seen the Turtles show more appreciation, but I also understand there's a time constraint with the portal magic. All in all, this was a cool arc. Two out of three episodes were fantastic! I'm hoping when they put this to DVD that there's an option to watch it as one long movie. That would be so cool, and it would add to the effect of it feeling like an old samurai movie.

(P.S. *Shameless Self-Promotion* If you're interested in more discussion of these episodes, check out my podcast - link in my signature.)
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #60
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know looking back not having a "Sword of the Stranger" reference is a huge missed opportunity, they could've had Usagi yelled "Out of my way" when he is trying to save Kintaro.

Whats extra funny is that the show already made a homage in season 1.