Archie > IDW > Mirage 4 8.70%
IDW > Mirage > Archie 16 34.78%
IDW > Archie > Mirage 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Ranking the comic tmnt incarnations

Between Mirage, Archie and IDW, which one would be your most to least favourite and why?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Mirage, with IDW a respectable second.

Never cared for Archie as a kid; wasn't able to get into it when I tried reading it a couple of years ago either.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I should just preface that I only rank IDW above Mirage, because I personally like it better and think it has generally better writing. I still love a lot of Mirage and wish IDW could be more like it in some respects, I just can't say I think it's ultimately the superior of the two.

Archie does truly deserve the bottom rank though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

For me, IDW with Mirage as a close second. The only thing that seriously puts down Mirage is a bit of the guest era. Still waiting for a conclusion to see if Mikey really does end up committing genocide.

I haven't read Archie since I was a kid really. But I remember loving it. Almost done with the FW series so Archie is next on my list. Can't imagine it beating IDW or Mirage though.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Donnie
Something from the Past

Definitely Mirage > Archie > IDW

I read Mirage & Archie growing up, so those will forever be my favorite comic books in general. In my opinion, IDW is just too much of an amalgam of former TMNT stories - shout out to this Mirage book, shout out to the OT, here's one for you Image fans, etc.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of hard to rank them against each other because they all do different things.

Mirage TMNT is more of a one-and-done series with the major events, and just slice of life stories or one-shot stories with the TMNT growing up after. Most of Tales sends them on crazy sci-fi adventures or against one-shot human enemies.

IDW TMNT is basically a traditional action/superhero comic. It's also of course a huge mix of every past TMNT incarnation all melted into a blender. It's Mirage/Fred Wolf/4kids/Archie/movies/Nick, etc. all combined together with new stuff thrown in. So for the most part is it's the best of all worlds since it takes the best parts of each previous series and leaves out the crap parts, but the series also has issues of its own with pacing, too many characters, some rushed conclusions, etc. But its been mostly good.

Archie TMNT started off as just a kid adaption comic, but after the initial year of issues it came into its own. Many of the later arcs are great and stand as better than many of the mainline TMNT comic stories.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I guess I should finish the Mirage run and start the Archie so I can see who I put second and third, since IDW is first for me
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Mirage/Image > IDW > Archie

IDW & Archie are close in the rankings for me, though. The only way I was able to choose between them was by realizing I've commissioned a whole bunch of the IDW guys (Duncan, Campbell, Smith, Dialynas, etc.) & none of the Archie crew. So that must mean I like it more if I want so many representations of it on my wall.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Allio
Foot Elite

IDW I find is the most consistent.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mirage and it has some of the best stories in the franchise. But while Mirage has it's ups it has some REAL BAD downs.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

IDW > Mirage > Archie.

Tried to read Archie and couldn't quite get into it. And I'm going to agree on Mirage's "REAL BAD DOWNS"...

I'm looking at you "April Is Literally A Drawing", you abhorrent, disgraceful, sonova--

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-27-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

For me, Mirage>IDW>Archie.

Mirage is my favorite incarnation of the TMNT that I've seen to date, IDW's pretty good, and I haven't read enough of Archie to really get a feel for it.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I'm surprised Archie hasn't gotten more #1 votes. Back when all we had was basically Mirage or Archie, I think the poll could have gone much differently.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 AM   #13
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

IDW > Mirage > Archie

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy all three for different reasons, but despite the all of the iconic stories Mirage has, it also has far more bad issues that IDW. Archie does as well, in addition to its lighter tone and environmental preaching, pushing it to third for me.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm surprised Archie hasn't gotten more #1 votes. Back when all we had was basically Mirage or Archie, I think the poll could have gone much differently.
For me its basically a tie between Mirage and Archie, love them both so you could say my vote is a tie between Mirge and Archie over IDW.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It's a combination of IDW now having a very lengthy run (it has over 150 issues when you count all the mini's, universe, and spinoff issues), and Archie being 20 years old now that a lot of the new or younger TMNT fans never read it.

I mean the Archie comics ended in what...1995? Even with IDW's reprints a lot haven't followed it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite

Went with the first option. I don't rate IDW as highly as others do. Sorry.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

While most of my favorite Tmnt moments are in Mirage I had to put IDW in front. It’s all around better than the Mirage series as a whole but there are definitely parts of Mirage that are better than IDW at any given time. In other words, it was hard to choose.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #18
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
IDW I find is the most consistent.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mirage and it has some of the best stories in the franchise. But while Mirage has it's ups it has some REAL BAD downs.
the same can be said for IDW the last year or so.

the series hasn't had any real home runs since issues #65

let's also not forget the pure delight that was the Casey & April mini-series.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Mirage is my number 1. Not just because it's the original source material, but it's also TMNT in it's purest form and I love the poignancy of it's best issues (like Vol. 1 #11).

Archie is #2. It (more so than FW) was the TMNT of my childhood. It's as big a part of TMNT's classic era as Mirage and FW are. It also has a nice consistent continuity and a lot of variety. It's basically 3 comics in one as it has light-hearted FW style stories, dark/poignant Mirage style stories, and stories that can only belong to Archie continuity. It also featured great characters that really haven't been featured well (or at all) in any other incarnation. Also, I'm pretty tree-huggie so the preachiness doesn't bother me much, but I get why that can be a drawback for others.

That leaves IDW at #3. That doesn't mean I think it's bad, though. I haven't really read that much of it, but from what I've read it's perfectly okay, but doesn't really rock my world. I'm not sure how involved Kevin Eastman is but without the Mirage artists and writers it doesn't (to me) feel as "authentically TMNT". And, the pacing in the first story is painfully slow (basically one issue's worth of content stretched to four). But, I do like it's takes on Krang and the Neutrinos, and I like the whole "Fusion of every past version" thing (which it apparently does better than Nick). I also think the "reincarnation" angle is clever. I think it's a fine comic and I intend to read more when I get the chance, but it ranks below the two more "classic" versions for me.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
the same can be said for IDW the last year or so.

the series hasn't had any real home runs since issues #65

let's also not forget the pure delight that was the Casey & April mini-series.
That is entirely a matter of opinion; I think #79 was one of my favorites of the run so far, although I will grant you that to some extent it benefits from the build-up in the three issues before it. Still, Invasion of the Triceratons has been a great arc.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote