The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Disney Princess

So, me and a few other members were getting off topic in the Frozen thread and discussing the Disney Princesses in it, so I figured I'd start a new thread just for DP. So, as some of you may know, I am a HUGE Disney fan. I love Disney even more than TMNT...anyway, the Disney Princesses are a big part of the Disney fandom, and are some of my favorite animated characters of all time. Disney Princess is a media franchise that is basically used to sell merchandise with the girls on it, but the cool thing is that it is also a collection of some of Disney's greatest leading ladies. More and more princesses have been getting added recently, too. The official line up currently consists of:

Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)
Cinderella (Cinderella)
Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Jasmine (Aladdin)
Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
Mulan (Mulan)
Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Merida (Brave)

Anna and Elsa from Frozen will most likely become Disney Princesses as well, but have not had their coronations yet. Moana from the upcoming Disney film in 2018 is also expected to join.

There are also the Disney Princes, who are the male counterparts/love interests to the princesses. This lesser known line up includes

The Prince (Snow White)
Prince Charming (Cinderella)
Prince Phillip (Sleeping Beauty)
Prince Eric (The Little Mermaid)
The Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
Aladdin (Aladdin)
John Smith (Pocahontas)
Li Shang (Mulan)
Prince Naveen (The Princess and the Frog)
Flynn Rider (Tangled)

There is no prince from Brave since Merida doesn't have a love interest, and Kristoff will join if Anna becomes a DP.

So, who's your favorite? Least favorite? Thoughts on the characters/movies? My favorite character is Mulan (Elsa may replace her when/if she becomes a DP) and my favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast (unless Anna and Elsa get added, in which case it will become Frozen)
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I'm an INSANE Disney obsessed fan too! Are you a DVC Member? We are DVC Members, Annual Passholders, and Tables in Wonderland holders as well. We go 2 or 3 times per year and I can just never get enough of it. My favorite princess is Bell because she's smart and studious. I will tell you something really cool too. I live in Knoxville TN which is where Mary Costa lives. You probably know her as Aurora. She is my wife's favorite. Well a couple of years ago on my birthday she was going to come to my party because my stepbro's friend worked at her grocery store and told her he knew a HUGE Disney fan that would LOVE to meet her and that I was having a birthday party. She asked for my info and due to a previous engagement she wasn't able to come. BUT she sent me a TON of personalized memorabilia and signed ALL of it. About a year later my wife was working for a funeral home and Mary Costa came in there. They told my wife she was there and she went and talked to her and she is VERY nice and an extremely gracious lady. My wife had a fangirl moment. LOL. If I HAD to pick my all time favorite Disney movie that would be like asking me to pick between my kids. There's just no way I can do it. Walt Disney is my ultimate American hero with only the exception of Ronald Reagan and maybe the most genius human being to ever live on this planet. I feel like in a lot of ways Disney has betrayed his legacy though.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Allio
Foot Elite

Hans from last I read, is the official disney prince for Frozen

anyway, they will probably double up on the coronation with Anna and Elsa, not having to worry about no prince to appear
Spoiler:
and my ship

Last edited by Allio; 05-13-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's nice to see Ariel in the green dress instead of the pink one
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Hans from last I read, is the official disney prince for Frozen

anyway, they will probably double up on the coronation with Anna and Elsa, not having to worry about no prince to appear
Spoiler:
and my ship
Spoiler:
Hans is will be a Disney villain, not a Disney Prince. The Disney Princes are only the Princesses love interests.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Well, since there is a thread for the Disney Princess franchise on Ranger Board and since all of them will be appearing Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 I might as well bump this thread. I thought I'd share my experiences of meeting some of the voice-actresses of these iconic characters.

A few months ago, I met Jodi Benson (Ariel) and Paige O'Hara (Belle) at Fan Expo Dallas, who care deeply about their faith as much as I do. Benson is like me because she can do absolutely nothing without her God and O'Hara called Mother Teresa her true heroine when she was declared a saint. Those women have made such a positive influence on my life for many years. That same weekend I met Linda Larkin (Jasmine) and she was a really cool person. Plus, it was a pleasure to met Ming-Na Wen (Mulan) and Jennifer Hale (Cinderella, formerly Aurora) in late 2016 and early 2017, respectively.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I recently watched a handful of a Disney movies I had been wanting to see (Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6 and both Beauty and the Beasts).

I’d have to say my favorite Disney Princess is Rapunzel. I like her overly nice personality and I just liked her story. I even started watching the tv series (just wish the art style didn’t have the crayon look).

Though if I may say something, I don’t mean it in a bad way it’s just a funny observation, most of the Disney Princess stories are basically the same. The ones specifically about the female characters anyway.

Girl is outcast or shunned for some reason - overcomes fears and learns to be yourself - falls in love - saves someone from death through magical thing/power of love.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Kinda weird that there are more blue bloods in the Princes side than there are in the Princess Side.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I got to see Jodi Benson perform "Part of Your World" at Fan Expo Dallas back in April. This video is probably the best one that was recorded. It's amazing how she still sounds the same all of these years later.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Yeah, it is amazing she sounds the same after all these years.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not to sh** on this thread, but I think somewhere amidst all the Disney acquisitions over the past 5 or so years... "Disney Princesses" is no longer a thing. Or at least, no longer a meaningful thing. But people still want it to be, badly (or at least want to pretend to, to evoke maximum reaction), and seem unable now to divorce Proper Classic Disney™ movies from movies coming out of companies that Disney owns. Which is weird to me. Disney owned Miramax when Pulp Fiction came out in 1994... was anyone blabbering that Mia Wallace should be a Disney princess?

This is a new trendy thing. Nothing more. Stop it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 AM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not to sh** on this thread, but I think somewhere amidst all the Disney acquisitions over the past 5 or so years... "Disney Princesses" is no longer a thing. Or at least, no longer a meaningful thing. But people still want it to be, badly (or at least want to pretend to, to evoke maximum reaction), and seem unable now to divorce Proper Classic Disney™ movies from movies coming out of companies that Disney owns. Which is weird to me. Disney owned Miramax when Pulp Fiction came out in 1994... was anyone blabbering that Mia Wallace should be a Disney princess?

This. So much, This.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

Doesn't the Disney Princess line just contain their animated Princesses? thinking of the toylines and merch etc.

Anyway, can't hurt for those on here who want to talk about them.

Last edited by newfan; 07-07-2018 at 06:38 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yes. The Disney Princess TM is just a select of animated princesses and maybe a couple of offshoots like That villain's kids live action thing had some stuff in the Disney Princess magazine
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Disney owned Miramax when Pulp Fiction came out in 1994... was anyone blabbering that Mia Wallace should be a Disney princess?
No, because the Disney Princess franchise didn't even exist until like 2002 I made this thread four years ago just to try to talk about some of my favorite Disney movies and characters, nothing bigger going on here.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:

WTF? O_o You literally just entered a thread (you obviously don’t really care about) to crap all over it with hyperbolic negativity. Doesn’t make sense even for you.

Everyone can tell the difference between actual Disney Princesses and other characters. You know this.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
WTF? O_o You literally just entered a thread (you obviously don’t really care about) to crap all over it with hyperbolic negativity. Doesn’t make sense even for you.

Everyone can tell the difference between actual Disney Princesses and other characters. You know this.
Not really. There was all sorts of stuff about "Princess Leia is a Disney princess now because Lucas sold!! OMG, I'm so clever that I just figured that out!!" a few years ago, and also BS more recently like, "If Disney gets to buy Fox, that means Ripley and/or the Alien Queen is a Disney 'princess' too!!! ZOMG!!!" No, it doesn't mean that. It means you're probably a hipster.

Dumb. Dumb. Right up there with stuff like, "______ actor/actress says they want to play _____ comic book movie role!!" articles. As in meaningless.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:21 AM   #19
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Not really. There was all sorts of stuff about "Princess Leia is a Disney princess now because Lucas sold!! OMG, I'm so clever that I just figured that out!!" a few years ago, and also BS more recently like, "If Disney gets to buy Fox, that means Ripley and/or the Alien Queen is a Disney 'princess' too!!! ZOMG!!!" No, it doesn't mean that. It means you're probably a hipster.

Dumb. Dumb. Right up there with stuff like, "______ actor/actress says they want to play _____ comic book movie role!!" articles. As in meaningless.
Oh my god Andrew its a joke, with all the threads you make about liberals being thin skinned you are getting mad at harmless comments on the Internet.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #20
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:

I’m sure nobody would consider Ripley, and definitely not the Alien Queen, a Disney Princess. We know those are just jokes.

Calling Leia a Disney Princess is just for the fun of it. I’ve seen it once or twice but everyone knows Star Wars does it’s own thing. Even so none of that was brought up.