The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The Courtship of Princess Leia is great! Really, really digging Dathomir and the Nightsisters...
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The Courtship of Princess Leia is great! Really, really digging Dathomir and the Nightsisters...
I'm pretty sure they come back in some way. And retroactively, Darth Maul is from Dathomir. In fact, I'm pretty sure Dathomir is still canon as a result. Don't we see Dathomir in Clone Wars?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm pretty sure they come back in some way. And retroactively, Darth Maul is from Dathomir. In fact, I'm pretty sure Dathomir is still canon as a result. Don't we see Dathomir in Clone Wars?
Looking at Wookiepedia, that's a yes. Apparently Dathomir and Nightsisters featured a lot in the cartoon.

Also, Rancors as steeds? Nice.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #44
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:

Also, Rancors as steeds? Nice.
I don’t know man - that’s one of those goofy EU elements that doesn’t make sense in-universe; it’s just in there because the writer thinks it’s cool and people know what Rancors are. It would be like if our reality was a fictional universe written by a Star Wars character and we were all riding around on crocodiles. You could, but it’s totally impractical and the risk to benefit ratio is f**ked.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I don’t know man - that’s one of those goofy EU elements that doesn’t make sense in-universe; it’s just in there because the writer thinks it’s cool and people know what Rancors are. It would be like if our reality was a fictional universe written by a Star Wars character and we were all riding around on crocodiles. You could, but it’s totally impractical and the risk to benefit ratio is f**ked.
Yeah, but the author gave the rancors sentience. So that's different than your crocodile example... Not just mindless predators or beasts of burden.

Reading The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy now. Really good! Nice to see Boba Fett being an actual badass.

Last edited by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy; 04-16-2018 at 08:53 AM.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

Yeah that was a good one. Been a while, but I remember loving that the Nightsisters were basically force "witches". And Tenel Ka is technically one of them, since her mother is one.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #47
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Yeah, but the author gave the rancors sentience. So that's different than your crocodile example... Not just mindless predators or beasts of burden.

Reading The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy now. Really good! Nice to see Boba Fett being an actual badass.
That's even worse.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

All Star Wars stuff after the original movies is essentially glorified fanfiction where the writers take some aspect of the movies they know people think were cool and try to make them, "actually cool."

So you have Boba Fett being a badass, riding rancors, Leia using the force, Luke training Jedi....etc. I mean even before the new movies, the whole EU was nothing more than published fanfiction.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
All Star Wars stuff after the original movies is essentially glorified fanfiction where the writers take some aspect of the movies they know people think were cool and try to make them, "actually cool."

So you have Boba Fett being a badass, riding rancors, Leia using the force, Luke training Jedi....etc. I mean even before the new movies, the whole EU was nothing more than published fanfiction.
Yeah, because Fan Fiction has to get approvals from the IP owners and corporations.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #50
Vegita-San
Emperor

Almost done with truce of bakura again. first time reading it since it came out, and forgot it was actually good. all i had remembered was the anakin force ghost scene.

I'll probably re tackle courtship next.

I might even suffer through crystal star again to figure out why it's so bad with a more adult mind.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

Finished Truce, Reworking Courtship.

Novels like this would be written SO differently if it was done these days. but, being done in the early 90s, it shows a VERY well balance between romances. and everyone acts like they are supposed too..

these books read much faster the second time around too oddly enough...
and are just so much better written then the newer cannon books.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I read the Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispin. Really loved Paradise Snare and Hutt Gambit... Rebel Dawn was a bit less impressive, but still good.

Read the Thrawn prequel... well-written, enjoyed the characterization, but it just didn't feel very compelling. I think the follow-up (Thrawn: Alliances) will be a lot more interesting, especially if Vader and Thrawn interact much.

Couldn't get into Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader... it took like 7 chapters to even get to Vader, and the first chapters were about a bunch of characters I've never heard of. NOT the Vader prequel character piece I was anticipating. The Marvel comics have done a much more interesting story for that.

Also bailed early in trying to read Heir to the Jedi... it might be good, but I am just not interested in a first-person narrative by Luke Skywalker. I prefer third-person for my media tie-ins. I might give it another try before I take it back to the library... need to read Shadows of Mindor and Honor Among Thieves first.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #53
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

It's been awhile since I tracked my progress... here's a bunch of books I read since last month.

Did Tales of the Bounty Hunters, loved it. Read the Boba Fett and Mara Jade stories in Tales from Jabba's Palace, skipped the rest. Don't care about the one-off characters... Star Wars worldbuilding doesn't interest me.

Outbound Flight was GREAT. Much better Thrawn origin than Zahn's "Disney canon" Thrawn novel. Way better.

Honor Among Thieves and Razor's Edge were both great.

Bailed on Shadows of Mindor... too exaggerated, felt all wrong. Bailed on Leia, Princess of Alderaan... YA, ugh.

Kenobi was badass.

Allegiance and Choices of One were both amazing. Loved the renegade Stormtrooper squad.

Also reread Dark Empire again. Ugh. Terrible colors for that book, all very muddy and monochromatic. There are, what, 2 or at most 3 colors per page? Bizarre. A decent read, I guess... couldn't get into Dark Empire II, though.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

And also just finished the Jedi Academy Trilogy... gotta say, Vegita-San hit the nail on the head. Kevin J. Anderson uses the movie quotes WAAAAAAAAAY too frickin' much. Super annoying.

And Luke was bizarrely oblivious to Exar Xun or whoever. He loses ONE student, and never bothers to investigate where or how the dude made a lightsaber? Seriously, that was stupid.

But other than that, I really liked it. Really good. 4 out of 5, compared to Zahn's consistent 5 out of 5.

Next up, the Callista trilogy (Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, and Planet of Twilight) and Crystal Star... I'm expected to dislike these, based on what I've heard about them. What do you guys think?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Just curious where are you getting all these books from? Are you buying them digitally, or buying physical books? It seems like you have a lot of them and are reading in quick succession so I'm wondering.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Just curious where are you getting all these books from? Are you buying them digitally, or buying physical books? It seems like you have a lot of them and are reading in quick succession so I'm wondering.
The library, my man... putting my tax dollars to work for me.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #57
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cubed doesn't know what a library is for, Cy. He's probably not set foot in one since- grade school, maybe? Might not have ever even seen a real book outside a classroom. Dunno, but you might need to explain what libraries ARE.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

"What's a 'book'?"
"... It's like the internet, but made out of trees..."
"Whatever. Do you wanna have sex in the bathroom?"

Thanks, Family Guy.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Cubed doesn't know what a library is for, Cy. He's probably not set foot in one since- grade school, maybe? Might not have ever even seen a real book outside a classroom. Dunno, but you might need to explain what libraries ARE.....
You're right, I don't think I stepped one foot in a library since...I dunno 4th or 5th grade? I don't even know if there are even any libraries around me. I'm surprised they haven't all closed down now, most kids today do their research online.

On top of that, they really have Star Wars books at a library? I thought libraries were educational or "real" books only, not books based on shows/movies or popular comic characters. I guess it's true what they say, you really do learn something new every day. It's the year 2018 and I'm discovering this for the first time.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #60
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
You're right, I don't think I stepped one foot in a library since...I dunno 4th or 5th grade? I don't even know if there are even any libraries around me. I'm surprised they haven't all closed down now, most kids today do their research online.

On top of that, they really have Star Wars books at a library? I thought libraries were educational or "real" books only, not books based on shows/movies or popular comic characters. I guess it's true what they say, you really do learn something new every day. It's the year 2018 and I'm discovering this for the first time.
Dear lord, just how old are you???
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote