The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

The first movie is, hands down, the best one.

I like II UNTIL the whole scene at the end with Vanilla Ice. That scene just dates and cheapens the movie in a way that nothing else in the series really does. What I do appreciate about II, compared to I, is how bright everything is and how much easier it is to see everything that's going on.

III is OK. I thought so at the time and still think so. I know that Angry Video Game Nerd dude savaged III some years ago, and now people take his un-funny ramblings as the gospel, but III is decent.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s Elias?
I need to get my eyes checked. Well, that makes the scenario even stranger from the story perspective. I wonder if it’s from a dropped plot point.
Seriously?
Spoiler:

I'unno, I kinda think they're obviously the same dude.

But I mean, yeah, I guess the beard and the accent can throw a person off. I noticed it right away but I make it my business to pay far too close attention to things. I'd also seen him in a few other things where he had a beard so maybe that's why I noticed it. I think as a kid maybe I just suspected it at first but the other characters saying he looked like Casey just confirmed it.

I think I read once somewhere that a couple of the characters in ancient Japan were going to originally be more strongly implied to be ancestors of some of the "modern day" characters, if not explicitly stated, but don't quote me on that, I might be misremembering. But it wouldn't shock me. That movie supposedly went through all kinds of changes during production, and time travel movies do usually do something like that.

I guess just "loosely implying" that Whit was Casey's ancestor based on facial resemblance alone was all that made it into the final movie.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, what can I say. I mean, as a kid I only watched the movie on a television no bigger than my arse, but the truth is probably just that I can be scatterbrained when it comes to recognizing people.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, beard and accent. Don't beat y'aself up.

As I've said, I'm more concerned with how Elias has turned into Uncle Willy from "Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight" in his older age.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #25
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

Been awhile since I've seen this movie. If I had the chance, I'd watch it.

I like that Corey Feldman returned as the voice of Donatello: the jokes were good--puns, sayings, etc.

Leonardo was actually funny in this one a bit more than the other 2. Guess they meant for that.

Favorite scene: when the bell falls on the enemy: "Name rings a bell!"

Also, it was a good idea to bring Casey back for the 3rd one. Get another comic relief in the present while the turtles are sending humor in the past.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #26
Wesley
Mad Scientist

It was news to me to find out that this movie gets a lot of hate. I always liked this movie for reasons already mentioned in this thread. It’s not as good as the 1990 one but it’s better than most of the others, though 2007 came close. Maybe it helps that it was the only TMNT film I saw as a kid. As I said in another forum, it was cool to see the Turtles go to ancient Japan and Walker was an entertaining antagonist alongside the Emperor imo.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-29-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think I'd say I ever "hated" it. I think they had some intriguing ideas that simply weren't executed very well, mostly for budgetary reasons.

I don't think II or III are particularly "good" for completely different reasons but they each do a lot well and a lot less-well. The worst stuff in III does not annoy me half as much as the worst stuff in II, let's put it like that.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #28
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think II or III are particularly "good" for completely different reasons but they each do a lot well and a lot less-well. The worst stuff in III does not annoy me half as much as the worst stuff in II, let's put it like that.
Agreed. Having rewatched both recently, I’d say they’re ok movies and I now believe II is at least better than the Bay films. Like most of the Fred Wolf toon, I have to be in the mood for watching II, though.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-30-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #29
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

This thread caught my attention because I also have not seen TMNT III but recently purchased it from eBay on DVD. Planning on watching it soon.

It's strange because I'm sure like others I consider myself a huge Turtles fan, and yet haven't seen all of the movies.

I think this came out at a time when I was hitting my early to mid teens and at that point in time had lost interest in the TMNT. And as time passed I never really had the opportunity or inclination to watch this movie.

It'll be interesting to watch. I know from screen grabs the Turtles themselves more closely resemble the much poorer quality second movie puppets. But the return of Feldman and Kotias sounds good. I think Koteas has been criminally under used by Hollywood over the past 30 years, he is a fantastic actor.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #30
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think I'd say I ever "hated" it. I think they had some intriguing ideas that simply weren't executed very well, mostly for budgetary reasons.

I can agree. I think II has a lot of the flavor of the first movie in bits and pieces. But 2 is closer in spirit to the more serious aspects of the 1987 cartoon, the pilot season. III is more a low budget attempt at cashing in on the video game, Turtles in Time. I think II is a great turtle movie UNTIL the introduction of Tokka and Rahzar. After that it slides down an icy hill on a sled greased with Crisco. The Vanilla Ice scene is cringe worthy and Super Shredder makes absolutely ZERO sense.

I like III better than I thought I would and every time I watch it I appreciate it more. But as far as the original 3, that first movie, despite its mistreatment of Oroku Saki and the Foot Clan (and other very minor flaws) is the best.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #31
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I watched III again the other night. The costumes are jarringly different from in I and II, but they're not terrible. It's watchable, and I think Warlord and Walker are both well played by their actors. I still feel about III more or less how I've always felt: it's a decent movie; it's refreshing that everything is so bright and easy to see; you can tell their budget was crunched; most of the time you can still get lost an imagine the turtles as living creatures, instead of as big costumes. I'll probably circle back around to it in another 5-10 years.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #32
Donnie
Something from the Past

I will ALWAYS defend TMNT III. I love that movie. I have nostalgic ties to it as it was the first TMNT film I saw in theaters, so color me biased. That aside, it's way better than SotO in terms of overall writing and execution. Michelangelo's character is fleshed out, he is shown as a caring, supportive, and loving Turtle moreso than in any of the other films (even the first film). He's not just a jokester. SotO comes across as a really long episode of the OT, which I suppose was what they were going for after the pansy parents of the 90s complained about the dark tones of movie 1. What's not to love about the Turtles in feudal Japan? As a history major, I eat that sh*t up. Plus, Casey returned in III, and his exchanges with the royal guard and Kenshin are some of the funniest moments in all 3 films. Again, the writing & execution were just spot on. They successfully showed & tied up two divergent and important story lines -- the Turtles and their struggle to maintain balance in the past/Michelangelo struggling to accept what he can't change & the love story of Mitsu and Kenshin (and, Mikey as the unlucky 3rd wheel).

Anyway, yeah, TMNT III rocks. Don't let anybody tell you differently. Most people that sh*t on the movie are posers who probably couldn't tell you that in the comics the Turtles are tied to Japan (future Donatello, Splinter) or that all 4 turtles wore red in the original comics.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #33
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
I will ALWAYS defend TMNT III. I love that movie. I have nostalgic ties to it as it was the first TMNT film I saw in theaters, so color me biased. That aside, it's way better than SotO in terms of overall writing and execution. Michelangelo's character is fleshed out, he is shown as a caring, supportive, and loving Turtle moreso than in any of the other films (even the first film). He's not just a jokester. SotO comes across as a really long episode of the OT, which I suppose was what they were going for after the pansy parents of the 90s complained about the dark tones of movie 1. What's not to love about the Turtles in feudal Japan? As a history major, I eat that sh*t up. Plus, Casey returned in III, and his exchanges with the royal guard and Kenshin are some of the funniest moments in all 3 films. Again, the writing & execution were just spot on. They successfully showed & tied up two divergent and important story lines -- the Turtles and their struggle to maintain balance in the past/Michelangelo struggling to accept what he can't change & the love story of Mitsu and Kenshin (and, Mikey as the unlucky 3rd wheel).

Anyway, yeah, TMNT III rocks. Don't let anybody tell you differently. Most people that sh*t on the movie are posers who probably couldn't tell you that in the comics the Turtles are tied to Japan (future Donatello, Splinter) or that all 4 turtles wore red in the original comics.
Rarely have I seen such a passionate defense of this movie. Very well played, dude. And I agree. I think it's better than 2 for story execution. But I don't like the departures of this and II from the 1st one. I do think the Turtles in Time idea was interesting though.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #34
Galactus
Foot Elite

I tend to think that the two live action sequels have things that the other lacks.

The third movie has more of an emphasis on the turtles characters, a better all round plot and action were the turtles even get to use their weapons.

Secret Of The Ooze had the better animatronics and all round production values and benefits greatly for being much more in line with what the general audience expected from a TMNT movie at the time ie: Shredder, Foot Clan, Mutants, modern NYC setting etc.

It also benefits greatly for attempting to give the movie a big threat to overcome. Say what you will about about Super Shredder and how goofy and easily beaten he was the very concept of the turtles fighting a souped up Shredder is very appealing, heck it's pretty much what Return to New York did with the Shredder Elite.

Imagine if in TMNT III Norinaga wasn't played quite for laughs and that it climaxed with a roof top fight with a fully armored Norinaga reminiscent of the Shredder battle in the first movie. While Walker was an interesting villain with how he manipulated Norinaga a face off against him was always going to be underwhelming.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #35
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post

What he said.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #36
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i always enjoy it. i think if they would've had the scenes from the comic adaption and done some sound effect editing it would've been better. but i do enjoy the bad jokes and i also like the bit on the original vhs where i swear mikey's the narrator for surf ninjas.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #37
cloud
Stone Warrior

I fine Turtles 3 despite all the flaws are still enjoyable. I mean as a kid and even a grown up now, seeing the turtles wearing samurai armor riding horsing is bizarre and really cool at the same time.

I was happy that they got Elias Koteas back as Casey Jones but it's weird that there was no connection for his Casey and Whit character that. That I felt was a wasted opportunity.

What bug me the most with Turtles3 was too many people speaking English in Japan. And the turtles don't know any Japanese just doesn't make sense to me.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #38
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I revisited movie 3 a few years ago. It had been my first watch since I originally saw it when it was initially out. I was slightly more forgiving of it, but still felt it was a bad movie with missed opportunities.

Going back to the actual time I saw it as a kid, my expectations were high. I figured Shredder was going to come back and get his final revenge. I was in the, "he's not dead"camp. It was just Diesel in a costume and after he recovers, he'll be back. I mean, how could I not make that assumption? Look at the end of movie 1. No mutagen, was crushed in a garbage truck...came back for a sequel. lol Finding out that it was going to be about time travel, at the time, I assumed (wrongly) that it was going to be loosely based on Turtles in Time.

Anyway, movie 3, imo, had a lot of potential. Having it taking place in Feudal Japan, iirc., was a great setting. Well...I would assume, thinking back on it, the Meiji era since that was about the time that Japan was starting to open up to foreigners more...although the Edo era is before Meiji and the feudal era should have been ending by the time of the Meiji era since Samurai were starting to fall out of power (iirc)...so it may have been on the cusp of it. Who knows, I'd have to check it. Anyway, as mentioned, the setting had great potential, it was just poorly executed.

Personally, I feel that movie 3 could've had a storyline establishing how the Foot was formed. How about introducing some of Hamato Yoshi's ancestors. Something connected to the turtleverse. Have them fighting a rival clan for power and the turtles helping out with that. Keep the legend part, whatever it was, but have some connection to Hamato Yoshi too.

I just feel that the villains they had for this film was a weak point. They could've gone with a Turtles in Time plot or a Foot formation plot. Thinking back, I think even the original 1987 series had an episode focused around the latter.

The jokes were juvenile, so I wasn't into that so much at the time and even less so as an adult. The humor felt terribly forced. The '87 show was silly at times...but they did come across as serious when the time called for it...and for this film (unless my memory is faulty) they all were just too goofy.

They wasted Casey's character. It's sad that the highlight of the film was Casey taking those samurai to that club where Tarzan Boy was playing....
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Neither II and III are good movies. II has better costumes... III has a better story and at least a little bit of heart. Both are goofy af. Also, they use their weapons in III but not in II.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #40
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Neither II and III are good movies. II has better costumes... III has a better story and at least a little bit of heart. Both are goofy af. Also, they use their weapons in III but not in II.
Movie 2 for me is a guilty pleasure. Out of the trilogy, the first one was best. Movie 2 was toned down because of parents complaining about the first. Movie 3 was going for a more serious tone, but screwed that up with the humor. Still felt the story should've been more interesting, imo or used some more familiar characters or something connected to the Foot clan...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote