The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #61
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Has anyone here seen Roger Van Der Weide's "Sonic Dissected" series?

It's not just an interesting look at the of the stories in Sonic games, but a fascinating look at storytelling in general. I'd recommend it to anyone, not just Sonic fans, who's the least bit interested in what makes a good story.

My personal favorite is Sonic Dissected 8-9, where they discuss comedy and whats makes something funny, funny.

Link to all the episodes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y7lt...C5-aM27sAumlMs

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 02-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #62
Wildcat
Foot Elite

^ That was pretty funny. The Chuck Norris Sonic thing made me laugh.

I like the idea of Amy stumbling into the amusement park and Tails turning evil for Colors. I dont think every game is meant to have a big story. Like its clear SA2 was meant to be serious and Colors more lighthearted with a basic story to hold it together so it didnt bother me. I agree though, like they said don't repeat everything. Just balance it out.

As for the characters they don't bother me. Only in Heros where you had to play everything 4 times with little difference. The difficulty factored in but it was the same levels. It was better in Adventure where it was different gameplay.

Last edited by Wildcat; 02-19-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #63
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Eh, not really a fan of them.

While Sonic Dissected does make some good points, I think they let their bias towards the current writers soil those points a tad.

Don't get me wrong, Colors and Generations aren't very good plots aside from the typical "they're meant to be light-hearted!" excuse, but I still enjoy them for what they're worth rather than what they could have been. And I would like to see Sonic Dissected's reaction to Lost World since that did sort of counter their point of how perfect or control Sonic was in that game.

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 02-20-2014 at 07:54 AM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #64
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
omg, he updates?

I thought he died or something, must be the end times since VGcats are getting new comic strips.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #65
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I know this is off topic but why do you guys think Sonic does poorly in Japan?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #66
Wildcat
Foot Elite

^ He does?! I didn't even know...I mean it doesn't make sense. Seriously or is it just a stat thing? This the first I hear of it. I assume he does good enough. They keep making games and stuff.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #67
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Well, ignoring the fact that in Japan cartoon animals are exclusively associated with toddlers, Sonic’s cocky personality may also be to blame. Arrogance is a personality trait that has little tolerance in Japan.

For a more in depth look into Sonic’s unpopularity in his homeland, I recommend watching Sonic Dissected 10.

Skip to 14:15 of the video:
Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 AM   #68
Wildcat
Foot Elite

That was a very interesting discussion. Ive watched a handful of those but hadnt seen that one yet. I didnt know Japan prefers human "mirrors" but its true with those examples. I never realized that. It is sad they dont take animal characters more seriously.

The part about Anthros is partly true I think. The personality can pretty much be whatever you want because they arnt "mirrors". I know Im gonna sound like a complete nerd but Ive kinda done that with Sonic. The only trait I don't really like is being cocky but Ive always just chalked that up to being geared more towards kids would like the sarcastic attitude thing. So I just brush it off when I see it in the games.

To me, probably because I grewup with it and he's my favorite character ever, I lean more on the heroic side of Sonic with the anything-is-possible mindset.

Last edited by Wildcat; 02-21-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #69
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

All I know is that there are some EXTREMELY talented people working behind both the Game & TV Series so really, I couldn't be any happier for Sonic!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #70
Peanut
Second Gear

How can you say the people behind the game are extremely talented when they haven't made a single game?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #71
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
How can you say the people behind the game are extremely talented when they haven't made a single game?
Many of them had worked on past Naughty Dog games like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted etc. before collaberating on a new Company: Big Red Button who's currently working on this Game!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #72
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Is it odd that I am more excited for this show than any of the previous Sonic cartoons?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #73
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

It looks as though Marine from Sonic Rush Adventure will be appearing in the show:

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #74
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Sooo, apparently, that isn't Marine, and she isn't appearing in the show. It's a brand new character called Sticks the Jungle Badger. She'll be voiced by Nika Futterman, who voiced Ventress from Star Wars: The Clone Wars. More here: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/29/so...new-character/

Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #75
Wildcat
Foot Elite

ISNT in the cartoon? Said she plays a role in every part of Sonic Boom in the article.

Anyway sounds pretty cool. I'm so excited every time there's a new Sonic anything.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #76
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
ISNT in the cartoon? Said she plays a role in every part of Sonic Boom in the article.
I was referring to Marine, Wildcat. She isn't appearing in the show.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #77
tmntmikey23
Banned

I really like how Sonic look and tails but knuckles looks like he took some drugs or something. I heard this will be on Cartoon Network is this true to bad i lost my TV and now i got Netflix and it gots OLD shows from CN like Ed Edd And Eddy Billy And Mandy and more and it has a few old sonic on it to. :/ but this looks ok i cant wait to see toys it will probably be by Jazwars if they make toys.
tmntmikey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #78
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

I laughed my head off when I saw the TV trailer. Sonic pointing out all the name appropriate for Eggman's robot other than "Burnbot" was hilarious. Honestly, the "Lacerator" would have been way better LOL XD

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #79
Wildcat
Foot Elite

TurtleTitan97, oh.

TmnTMikey23, the toys are being made by TOMY. There's some pictures out already.
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Boom_(toyline)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #80
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Awesome! can't wait for this game! and i'm also looking foward to the new show, can't wait for E3

Tags
peanut