The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy the darker elements of TMNT?
Yes 68 86.08%
No 1 1.27%
I have mixed feelings on it 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Stoooooooooooooop.
Well, I know Joi and Mezecal are unlikely to ever return, so I was just being silly. But why do you slam me every time I bring Mona Lisa and co. up?

Also, I feel the future tales are all a perfect sign for Mirage's take on the mythos. The Turtles are a mistake, and will die mistakes just as how they were mistakes in their prime. They are part of a greater mistake that we ourselves are responsible for: the triumph of the Western world, and the rise of the industrial revolution. It is because of the Industrial Revolution that so many greenhouse gases were released, destroying our environment. Thus, the Utroms had to come and try to pick us off our doomed planet. The Turtles choose to be left behind as mistakes, the mistakes they are.

Everywhere else, the turtles are like chocolate chip cookies, good little mistakes that change the world. They end up saving the world by defeating various threats. But this original raw take is akin to that original King Arthur: a simple warlord defending his people from Anglo-Saxon attacks, much like Braveheart.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Bombshell
Thug

Humans are drawn to tragedy. The darker parts of TMNT are the more realistic and sobering parts that make the whole thing believable.

They are freaks. They are unwanted. There is no place for them in the natural order of things. They were raised for murder in a situation they were never a part of which then introduced them to a life time of war. They are forced to live in darkness, filth and poverty. They are one scientific discovery away from dismemberment in a lab. The turtles are very much a tragedy with comedy thrown into the mix to make things bearable.

Can they save everyone? No. Some people they just have to let go, and they have to be alright with that. People were killed and families were destroyed in their wake. They were raised for revenge and yet have enough compassion to somehow make it as "good guys".

The extraordinary part of it all is what draws me to their story, and its that they're all just doing the best they can with what they have - A couple years of martial arts training and a family to fall back on.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #23
Revan
Han Shot First

I was always more a fan of the stories based in "realism." If by "darker aspects" you mean violence then yes I prefer those stories. They are ninjas and they carry weapons; I like when they use them.

Volume 1 stories that didn't rely on the mystical or sci-fi themes were more fun for me. Just my opinion. It seemed like towards the end, Laird used Volume 4 to tell cosmic stories and the turtles were almost ancillary characters. It didn't seem like the books were about the turtles anymore. Things just got way too "big." Space and aliens... It just moved away from what I thought was fun about TMNT.

Getting back to your "darker aspects" question, I like it. A ninja fighting with a katana would have to be pretty inept to not cause some damage. I always liked the stories that showed the turtles as imperfect. They don't necessarily have to be "heroes" IMO.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
Danetello
Stone Warrior

Maybe not so much darker, but perhaps the more challenging side of life. I like to see the "real life" struggles (even if such struggles are in sci-fi settings). I like to see how the characters deal with the more "human" aspects of life. Emotion, drama, the struggles of life. Doesn't have to be dark, just challenging.

Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #25
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetello View Post
Maybe not so much darker, but perhaps the more challenging side of life. I like to see the "real life" struggles (even if such struggles are in sci-fi settings). I like to see how the characters deal with the more "human" aspects of life. Emotion, drama, the struggles of life. Doesn't have to be dark, just challenging.
Exactly. Adult doesn't mean dark or gritty. It just means not everything can resolve under 30 minutes of a episode or morality of certain issues or even behavior of some characters can't be extremely black or white.

Splinter is not the paragon of honor or righteous and Shredder is not the devil that many versions seem to paint him as.

They are two are very flawed individuals that are lock in a feud of hatred and spite with everyone involved.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 09-18-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Exactly. Adult doesn't mean dark or gritty. It just means not everything can resolve under 30 minutes of a episode or morality of certain issues or even behavior of some characters can't be extremely black or white.

Splinter is not the paragon of honor or righteous and Shredder is not the devil that many versions seem to paint him as.

They two are very flawed individuals that are lock in a feud of hatred and spite with everyone involved.
I can add nothing to this nugget of truth. All I can do is nod vigorously and quote.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #27
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I can add nothing to this nugget of truth. All I can do is nod vigorously and quote.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirage, tmnt