The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #221
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
She is just a background character. I believe they met in January to decide if an actress such as the one in Rouge One or Billie herself be the body double with a digital face of the deceased plastered on them in post production like with Grand Moff Tarkin. It seems they decided not to. I know it sucks especially when it seemed she would be the center classic character of Episode 9.
So make Billie Lourd's character into a slightly more important character. Basically on the level of Wedge Antilles in the original films. Wedge wasn't a major character, he had a small supporting role but still memorable enough for people to remember him all these years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #222
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Mark Hamill & Daisy Ridley’s Epic Star Wars: Force For Change Announcement

Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #223
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Seeing Daisy Ridley smile always makes me think of horses for some reason.

I was hoping the "epic announcement forty years in the making" would be something like an official blu ray release of the unaltered OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #224
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I was hoping the "epic announcement forty years in the making" would be something like an official blu ray release of the unaltered OT.
That'd be a pretty crappy announcement. Why would I want that?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #225
The Deadman
Foot Elite

If the major announcement was another re-release of the original movie the fandom would probably explode.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #226
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Seeing Daisy Ridley smile always makes me think of horses for some reason.

They've lost me as a customer on that front. This should have happened the second George was out of the picture. They wanna dick around for whatever reason though. Eff em.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #227
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
They've lost me as a customer on that front. This should have happened the second George was out of the picture.
Even if they wanted to, and they probably do, they couldn't just strike a deal with Fox right out of the gate. They own the distribution rights to IV, like, forever.

Quote:
They wanna dick around for whatever reason though. Eff em.
I don't see why. Even when George was around he included the original versions on the limited editions of the DVD release of IV-VI. Nobody really went crazy over them, or bought them up like hotcakes or anything.

I'm sure we'll probably see a re-release of the "original, unaltered" OT in our lifetime. I just don't expect it is going to be this earth-shaking thing. It'll probably just be a quiet murmur of, "Oh. Well I guess it's really not better at all, is it?" or "Huh. That's a whole lot of matte lines and boxes," or maybe, maybe, "Well, I guess that's neat not to see Hayden at the end of Jedi."

Hipsters will probably love it. They will have special screenings of it as they drink their organic chai teas, stroking their beards and playing with their man buns as they cheer, "This is sooo retro, dude!"
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #228
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't see why. Even when George was around he included the original versions on the limited editions of the DVD release of IV-VI. Nobody really went crazy over them, or bought them up like hotcakes or anything.
"
Funny you mention that release I actually own them

The OG trilogy Transfer is from the Laserdisc Edition on the bonus disc
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #229
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Funny you mention that release I actually own them

http://i.imgur.com/BLwdgPY.jpg

The OG trilogy Transfer is from the Laserdisc Edition on the bonus disc
I've been lucky enough to find this set twice at different used DVD stores in very good condition for about $3 a film. With the Despecialized Editions, they aren't quite as useful to me these days.

I don't mind the 1997/2004 cuts all that much, but the "NOOOOOOOOO" at the end of Jedi ruins it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #230
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's definitely a market for the unaltered trilogy however it might not be big enough to make it worth the cost; Especially when people already buy the newer editions without a problem. I do think that we'll see them released eventually, hell as mentioned above the "evil man" George Lucas who said he'd never release them...released them. Just because they were straight transfers from the laser discs people got mad but he released them but that had more to do with costs than anything.

I personally like things from the special edition though I could do without some additions but it boggles my mind how much energy people spend talking about them as if a few scenes really make that big of a difference, I can tell you the average person doesn't care and if there's no nostalgia they won't even have an opinion. Now if Disney released the Christmas Special I would love them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #231
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I personally like things from the special edition though I could do without some additions but it boggles my mind how much energy people spend talking about them as if a few scenes really make that big of a difference, I can tell you the average person doesn't care and if there's no nostalgia they won't even have an opinion.
Most of these original fans who saw the movies in the 70's are also 50+ year old adults too, I mean they would have to be if they were alive for the theatrical releases of the original. But back in 1997 they were probably around their early 40's I guess.

They're just a bunch of middle-age men upset that the movies don't look like they did when they were kids/teens in the 70's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #232
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Actually, I honestly wish Disney or whoever would take the edits a step further. Make the IV Obi-Wan and Vader fight more badass (no, not NEARLY to the extent of Episode III's... that was embarrassingly excessive). Make it not like two old men swatting broomsticks at each other... after seeing Dooku fight, this doesn't make any sense. Make all the Ewoks blink this time, CGI in better lip movements. Also that hokey shot in Return of the Jedi where Luke gets shot on the wrist on the sail barge... draws attention. And please, once and for all please fix the damn lightsaber on the Falcon when Luke is training with the floating training device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
There's definitely a market for the unaltered trilogy however it might not be big enough to make it worth the cost; Especially when people already buy the newer editions without a problem. I do think that we'll see them released eventually, hell as mentioned above the "evil man" George Lucas who said he'd never release them...released them.
True. It's always struck me as weird that people still bang their pitchforks, "DAMN George Lucas for never releasing the original, unedited original trilogy!!!" Uh, he did. After he said he wouldn't, even. It's like even he did what everyone wanted and nobody wanted to or was able to even acknowledge it. Sure, it's the laserdisc version repurposed. But so what? It's out there, on DVD, and it looks way better than the "Final" version that saw VHS release. You can go and track it down and watch the lame Death Star explosion and TIE Fighters whooshing around with big green boxes around them to your heart's content.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #233
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here it is!

Teaser Poster

Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #234
snake
Disgusting

I loved it, but I was expecting a little more. I wonder when we'll get the full trailer.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #235
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Not much there yet, is there?

Still fairly sure we're getting a revamped "Empire Strikes Back." Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case...
Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #236
ToTheNines
[sic]

Looking good! Hopefully this makes so much money that they have no choice but to bring Rian Johnson back for IX.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #237
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

at the end of the trailer, Luke says. “I only know one truth... It’s time for the Jedi... to end.”

Jedi can be plural, so it could be that the Jedi order is coming to an end?

Last edited by TigerClaw; 04-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #238
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Not much there yet, is there?

Still fairly sure we're getting a revamped "Empire Strikes Back." Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case...
There will be some parallels. Such as Luke training Rey, as Yoda trained him. Some big twist revolving around Kylo.

The first one ended with Rey/Poe/Finn all split up, so I have to imagine they'll all be reunited before the halfway point. Whereas Empire had the main cast split up the whole damn movie. As long as this doesn't end with Rey losing a hand and being plucked from high up structure by the Falcon, with Poe frozen in carbonite, we'll be good lol.

REALLY psyched to finally see the Knights of Ren in action finally (hopefully)!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #239
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
There will be some parallels. Such as Luke training Rey, as Yoda trained him. Some big twist revolving around Kylo.

The first one ended with Rey/Poe/Finn all split up, so I have to imagine they'll all be reunited before the halfway point. Whereas Empire had the main cast split up the whole damn movie. As long as this doesn't end with Rey losing a hand and being plucked from high up structure by the Falcon, with Poe frozen in carbonite, we'll be good lol.

REALLY psyched to finally see the Knights of Ren in action finally (hopefully)!
I feel that there's a really good chance that this won't be just a flashy repackaging of Empire because it's not JJ Abrams running the show... but they played it safe once and made big bucks for it. Who's to say they won't do it again?

I think, as TigerClaw mentioned, that Luke's dialogue is quite interesting... if that ethical dilemma of "the Jedi must end" turns out to be a big part of the story, I'll be quite intrigued.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #240
ToTheNines
[sic]

I think Luke realizes that a Jedi Order is only going to end up teaching and ultimately turning away powerful Dark side Force users. So his mission will be to train Rey to help him take down Snoke and Kylo and be done with it.

I don't see him surviving episode IX. And I'm betting the eventual episode X will be a about Rey starting a new Order, despite Luke's wishes.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw