The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #1021
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Maybe Phasma and Chewie could get something going and have some 9 foot children.
No way, man. That's how we get an updated Star Wars Christmas Special.

Or wait, a love triangle with Maz.
Damnation, the former is horrific, but the latter is temping.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #1022
CyberCubed
Overlord

Remember those female shippers who thought Finn and Poe were going to become gay homosexual lovers?

To be fair, Poe's, "So...how did you two meet?" to Finn and Rose sounded like a hint of jealousy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #1023
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Does there though?
Does there really?
it is fairly common in Space operas.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #1024
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
it is fairly common in Space operas.
The Last Jedi felt like a real departure from Space Opera to me.
I've been describing the feeling of genre shift as similar to the one I felt watching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The characters of the 1940s pulp novel were there, but they were in a 1950s B movie.

It's kind of like that.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #1025
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Remember those female shippers who thought Finn and Poe were going to become gay homosexual lovers?

To be fair, Poe's, "So...how did you two meet?" to Finn and Rose sounded like a hint of jealousy.
Rey & Rose when asked if they prefer to date either Finn or Poe:

The gay ship is sailing strong.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #1026
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The first interaction of Poe/Finn was fairly "friendly", I'd say the gay ship has as much fire as it did in TFA if we don't count the horrible asian/finn romance.

And Rey did give a disappointed/jealous look when she sees Finn with the asian girl.

I guess since Rey isn't a Skywalker they could ship her with Kylo if he becomes good and they can more Skywalker babies for Episode X after the Rian trilogy ends.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #1027
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Snoke is actually an Acronym for “Sith No One Knew Existed” so while he is dead in so far. Perhaps there is more to him in the grand scheme that could be revealed in the next installment or some of the world building info.

One thing I remember Nostalgia critic said in his “Sibling Rivalry-review” of this film was George Lucas liked his stories to rhyme.

Meaning the first story of each trillogy will parallel each other, but there will be something different with each one.

For example- New Hope episode six the start of the Star Wars Universe.

Farm Boy acquires two robots and meets up with an old hermit and receive a message from a princess calling them to arms against an evil empire. The old hermit reveals he is one of the last remaining of an ancient order. Together the two of them join forces with a criminal who can smuggle them to the princesses kingdom only to find they captured by the forces of an Evil empire. The farm boy is revealed to have the ability to harnus the same power as the old hermit and so the hermit teaches him how to control it. The Farm Boy and Criminal save the princess while the hermit sacrifices himself fighting his former student who has become the greatest champion of the evil empire. The Criminal feels he has done what he had promised but grows a conscience and returns when his companions need him most. While the Farm boy uses the awakening power in him to destroy the great weapon of the evil empire and save the day.

Prequel- Phantom Menace

Two warriors are infiltrating an evil organization who is about to lay an invasion upon a peaceful kingdom. The two are discovered and escape to land the peaceful kingdom resides in. They discover a village idiot who can guide them to the kingdom and they warn the reigning monarch of the pending attack. The monarch believes them and agrees to let the two warriors take her and her handmaidens out of danger so they can reach a greater kingdom to seek assistance. Their transport is attacked and they are forced to take refuge in an small village in the middle of nowhere. It is here they meet a young slave boy who is discovered to have an ability that is similar to the two warriors. The elder of the two warriors bids for the boy and earns him his freedom before the group continues the journey to the great kingdom. They take the boy to the councel of their order to have him tested and they agree he is skilled enough to be trained, but they have reservations that make them feel he is unsuitable. Undaunted the elder warrior takes it upon himself to train the boy in the ways of the order. Disappointed by the corruption and lack of responce towards her plite the monarch of the peaceful kingdom wants to return home to defend her people.
The group arrive in the peaceful kingdom, one of the handmaidens reveals that she was actually the monarch all along and persuades help from the people the village idiot is from. The slave boy takes shelter and destroys the enemy fighters by accident thus winning the day.

-Sequel-The Force Awakens

A slave girl with no identity meets up with a robot and deserter from the new evil empire. The robot carries valuable information about a legendary warrior of a monastic order. Together they try to bring the robot and its information to rebellion. On the way they meet the Criminal that helped in the battle against the evil empire, he at first wants nothing to do with the girl and her journey but is convinced to help them reach where they must go. On the way the girl gets captured by the champion of the new evil empire because it’s revealed she has a power that is just like the legendary warriors. In an effort to stop the enemies great weapon, the defector and the criminal attempt to enter it and destroy it from within and save the girl in the process. The Criminal confronts the Champion of the New Evil empire who turns out to be his son. The Criminal tries to get his son to come back to the side of good. The Champion at first seems to consider returning but ends up killing his father. The girl and the defector fight him and defeat him as they try to escape. The girl finally learns where the legendary warrior is and goes off to seek his assistance in training her.

Since the Return of the Jedi ends with Darth Vador killing his master, and Revenge of the Sith ends with Obi Wan mortally wounding Anakin who had ceased to be his student at this point. Maybe the next one would have Snoke kill Kylo Ren. Or maybe Hux since he has a rivalry with Kylo and he knows Kylo is unstable. Perhaps he would find an opening in Kylo’s power and eliminate him so he would have brief control of the First Order before it comes crashing around him.

Last edited by victory_angel; 12-22-2017 at 12:18 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #1028
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post

Prequel- Phantom Menis
LOL, this title made me laugh. Dude, it's spelled "menace."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #1029
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Not "Penace"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #1030
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thank you for the correction cubed. By the way, people might find this discussion interesting.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #1031
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Mark Hamill explains his creative differences with Rian Johnson in The Last Jedi: 'He's not my Luke Skywalker'

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/mark-hamill...e-differences/

Leading up to the release of The Last Jedi, whispers of creative differences between Mark Hamill and director Rian Johnson had Star Wars fans scratching their heads. What could’ve possibly gone sideways for Luke Skywalker himself to question the direction of his grand return? Now that the movie has hit theaters, we know. Luke Skywalker is broken. He’s given up on the Jedi, and possibly even the Force. To put it simply, Hamill didn’t agree with Luke turning his back on the Resistance and those he loved due to a wild-eyed, late-night freakout on the broad-chested Kylo Ren.

Now Hamill has finally explained his issues with Johnson’s take on an old, grizzled Luke Skywalker during a press event, saying that George Lucas would’ve never taken this dark turn.

“I said to Rian: ‘Jedis don’t give up. I mean even if he had a problem he would maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong.’ So right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective. That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he is Jake Skywalker.

He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well, but listen, I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job.”

At least Hamill agrees that the painful roads Luke Skywalker had to go down were a necessary evil in order to keep Star Wars moving forward. It’s no longer about the Skywalkers, and when you zoom out, it never really was. The dark and the light has been battling for a millennia before a little boy tried spinning because it was a good trick, and it will be battling for a millennia after that boy’s grandson drank green milk from a lazy alien’s teet.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #1032
Vegita-San
Emperor

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain.../#1733e6bf355c

worse than justice league?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #1033
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

I don't think the jury is entirely out on that just yet.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #1034
newfan
Mad Scientist

Poe and Rey even seemed to like each other when they met, not sure where they plan to go with these suggestions, there's a few.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #1035
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Poe and Rey even seemed to like each other when they met
I got zero romantic vibes between them in TFA. The "I'm going to wear your jacket, even into the next movie" between Finn and Poe is the only dubious thing. If some dude tried to give me his jacket I'd tell him to bugger off.

Probably Abrams created (in addition to scene-for-scene recreating IV) an elaborate "Choose your own adventure" in VII for the next writer/director team on VIII. "Do you want a GAY romance? Here is an option." "Do you want a SITH OVERLORD called Snoke? Here he is, blank canvas. Make him Plagueis or Palpatine's clone or something." "Do you want Luke Skywalker, Jedi Supermaster going all out, or Luke Skywalker, suicide watch master? You decide what happens next!" "How did Maz get Luke's lightsaber? WHO KNOWS? I don't. You can fill in the blank."

That sort of thing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #1036
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I got zero romantic vibes between them in TFA. The "I'm going to wear your jacket, even into the next movie" between Finn and Poe is the only dubious thing. If some dude tried to give me his jacket I'd tell him to bugger off.

Probably Abrams created (in addition to scene-for-scene recreating IV) an elaborate "Choose your own adventure" in VII for the next writer/director team on VIII. "Do you want a GAY romance? Here is an option." "Do you want a SITH OVERLORD called Snoke? Here he is, blank canvas. Make him Plagueis or Palpatine's clone or something." "Do you want Luke Skywalker, Jedi Supermaster going all out? You decide what happens next!" "How did Maz get Luke's lightsaber? WHO KNOWS? I don't. You can fill in the blank."

That sort of thing.
I didn't pick up chemistry between Poe and Fin, not the sexual type, they just seemed to hit it off as buddies, Fin was interested in Rey... as Ren seems to be, more for 'Force' reasons though...then Poe looked like he liked her when they met... (I may be seeing that wrong but that could be cause for a rift with the two guys)... and of course we have rose to fit in here too.
I don't feel invested enough in any of them to care too much at the moment.

Last edited by newfan; 12-22-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #1037
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I didn't pick up chemistry between Poe and Fin, not the sexual type, they just seemed to hit it off as buddies,
Same here, but it was absolutely, 100% set up by Abrams in a way to be like, "Look, I'm not actually going to do a gay romance in my Star Wars movie... but hey, whoever directs VIII: here's a perfect setup for one!" Then he could claim credit for creating a gay Star Wars character without actually having to make a movie with gay stuff in it.

I feel like JJ will chickenshit out of doing anything with it in IX, though, since he never intended to actually stick around and do VIII or IX. I'm OK with that. Give Finn the Asian chick.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #1038
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Same here, but it was absolutely, 100% set up by Abrams in a way to be like, "Look, I'm not actually going to do a gay romance in my Star Wars movie... but hey, whoever directs VIII: here's a perfect setup for one!"

I feel like JJ will chickenshit out of doing anything with it in IX, though, since he never intended to actually stick around and do VIII or IX. I'm OK with that. Give Finn the Asian chick.
Yeah I can see there was enough to encourage a ship or possibilities... there just seems to be a few possibilities with characters so far.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #1039
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think the jury is entirely out on that just yet.
please god just no. the straight romances are boring/goofy enough. can't guys just be friends anymore?

smh
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #1040
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll be disappointed if Rey/Finn don't get together in the end. As "progressive" as people claim to be there is still plenty of racism and having an interracial ship in Star Wars is just not going to happen. People will shield their views with "What's wrong with a woman not having a romantic interest" but the way Finn has been treated shows that the racists who were making a big fuzz about Finn in TFA have indeed influenced what they might've originally planned for him. Why couldn't both Finn and Rey be Jedi?

I love how "geek" culture news blogs keep trying to swing the narrative to "the people who don't like it are wrong", no shame. But hilarious to watch.

Still not crazy Finn was a storm trooper either, I don't buy the "there are no more clones", I expect and want all storm troopers to still be Temuera Morrison
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw