The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
TurtleToys
Random Punk

Rise of the TMNT- My opinion

Ok so I’m fairly new to the forum and I’m not sure if I’m doing this right by starting a new thread. But I want to give my opinion of Rise of the TMNT and see if anybody else agrees. I’m 31, my kids are 7 and 10. We LOVED the 2012 series and watched every episode together probably a million times. I personally grew up on the original cartoon and toys and have been a fan my whole life.
I’m not sure how many episodes of Rise I’ve watched but I’m guessing between 8-10? I’ve watched a few episodes multiple times. I’m guilty that they haven’t been all in order but I just don’t see any continuity in the story line. I know that it’s early, but I also don’t see much growth in the characters. I feel like it’s lacking respect to the old turtles.(I know, this is the turtles as younger kids).
The animation is AWESOME. But it’s so fast that I have to rewind stuff because I miss things. Maybe I’m just getting old? But I feel like it’s hard to follow. I don’t know, I just feel like they could slow it down and focus more on the story and less on the action. I’m trying to give it a chance but my kids won’t even watch it with me. They don’t like it. I personally like the designs and the toys are pretty good but I don’t see this lasting like the last few reboots. Is it here to stay? I’m not trying to start an argument or fight with anybody, it’s just my opinion. Hopefully I don’t sound like a broken record, I know a lot of this has been said before. I don’t know guys, what do you think?
TurtleToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

There seems to be some building story and continuity going, the Foot stole that mystic statue hand, and they're alluding to more having to do with Splinter, it's just going slowly for now. For now they're making episodic mutant of the week eps.

As for the show in general it was already renewed for Season 2, we're getting another year of it at least. So 52 half hours.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Ninja Turtles don't always appeal to everyone. I remember seeing a friend's kid he didn't like them back in the 2003 era, and kids saying they were lame while I was busy deciding which 2012 figure to buy. Most kids, I assume, prefer comedy cartoons than action cartoons, even if TMNT tries to mix both. Maybe that's why Netflix gets all the cool and more story driven action shows, because kids wouldn't have the attention span for that kinda stuff and would rather watch Spongebob and TTG.

I do see that Rise is more about the action than story, and honestly, that's OK, since some shows are like that. I know we're all TMNT fans but it seems we always demand Shakespeare and super deep life pondering questions when it's a show about talking turtles. Sometimes it can be a past paced all action show.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I have a bunch of episodes that got recorded on my Tivo. But I haven't brought myself to watching them yet.

I watch all of the 2012 series. It was a good series that appealed to all ages. It had some good stories. and a lot of the humor that only adults would understand. Rise on the other hand was made strictly for kids. And there's nothing in the series that appeals to adults. All its humor seems directly at kids.

The 87 series appealed to all ages. And it had stuff that adults could enjoy. But Rise is a completely different take on TMNT. Which is why I understand why the fanbase is split on this new series.

This new series completely changed a key element that made the Turtles brothers. They were all related due to being the same species of Turtles. Rise completely changes that by making them different species of Turtles. So they are no longer blood related. This time they are brothers because they are mutants.

Another complain I been hearing about. Is this show's depiction of April. They made her an African american for this incarnation which I think is fine. However most people complain that she's acting like your stereotypical black women.

Rise is a show made by committee. The 2012 series was telling good stories and pushing boundaries on what they could show in a kids show. I think its the reason why Nickelodeon canceled it after 5 seasons. Because that show was attracting an older audience. and Nickelodeon didn't want that because they are strictly a Network for Kids.

This is what happened with Cartoon Network. Teen Titans was canceled because it was attracting an older audience. And women make up a big chunk of it and they didn't want that. So they canceled it and created Teen Titans Go.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-27-2018 at 09:56 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Oh wow, I think this is the first time I see a negative comment from Tigerclaw and even then it's worded very carefully to not come off necessarily negative. I'm impressed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

holy crap TigerClaw being negative about something instead of praising everything coming off as a shill.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Another complain I been hearing about. Is this show's depiction of April. They made her an African american for this incarnation which I think is fine. However most people complain that she's acting like your stereotypical black women.
I'm one of those people.

Really, the executives should just hire writers of color. Maybe then, they could have a better grasp of April's character.

Quote:
Rise is a show made by committee.
I also agree with this.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Rise is a show made by committee. The 2012 series was telling good stories and pushing boundaries on what they could show in a kids show. I think its the reason why Nickelodeon canceled it after 5 seasons. Because that show was attracting an older audience. and Nickelodeon didn't want that because they are strictly a Network for Kids.

This is what happened with Cartoon Network. Teen Titans was canceled because it was attracting an older audience. And women make up a big chunk of it and they didn't want that. So they canceled it and created Teen Titans Go.
I can picture validity to that argument, personally. After all, while an older series, Invader Zim was also cancelled after only one season due to it being too adult oriented, among other things. Course, the irony is that I'm seeing very occassional similarities in humor in Rise.

Regardless, I'd also have to agree about April: too tomboyish for my liking.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Oh wow, I think this is the first time I see a negative comment from Tigerclaw and even then it's worded very carefully to not come off necessarily negative. I'm impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
holy crap TigerClaw being negative about something instead of praising everything coming off as a shill.
When that happens, you know it's gone too far. (Wish I was only joking, but maybe there is some truth in it...?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Really, the executives should just hire writers of color.
And at least one or two of them woman, please.

Don't mind if she's kind of a tomboy as suggested, but she's definitely obnoxious and reckless in some parts and being at the forefront more than the human sidekick should.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Ninja Turtles don't always appeal to everyone. I remember seeing a friend's kid he didn't like them back in the 2003 era, and kids saying they were lame while I was busy deciding which 2012 figure to buy. Most kids, I assume, prefer comedy cartoons than action cartoons, even if TMNT tries to mix both. Maybe that's why Netflix gets all the cool and more story driven action shows, because kids wouldn't have the attention span for that kinda stuff and would rather watch Spongebob and TTG.

I do see that Rise is more about the action than story, and honestly, that's OK, since some shows are like that. I know we're all TMNT fans but it seems we always demand Shakespeare and super deep life pondering questions when it's a show about talking turtles. Sometimes it can be a past paced all action show.
I don't believe anyone is asking for something in the same vein as Shakespeare (God, I hate that analogy so much). If a billionaire playboy who dresses as a bat can get memorable stories written for him, so can talking turtles.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Intestingly however. Teen Titans Go. Despite being aimed at a younger audience. It still manages to cram in some adult humor. Humor that only adults would get. and a lot of it is meta humor.

Who knows where they can take the humor in Rise. But hopefully they take a page right out of Teen Titans Go.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Rise is cool but I would've preferred a Teen Titans Go rip-off with the TMNT.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
If a billionaire playboy who dresses as a bat can get memorable stories written for him, so can talking turtles.

Hope a tv series one of these days is able to look past the green skin and the shell and see them for the awesome, relatable guys that they are, with all the potential that they have beyond just being marked as "talking animals" for kids shows and shoved further down to a lower rung instead of elevating them to a higher one.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Hope a tv series one of these days is able to look past the green skin and the shell and see them for the awesome, relatable guys that they are, with all the potential that they have beyond just being marked as "talking animals" for kids shows and shoved further down to a lower rung instead of elevating them to a higher one.
I am one of those people who thinks that the one of the main appeals of the tmnt are they that they're talking animals. If they were four human teenagers, wouldn't be anywhere as interesting in my opinion, and I'm not ashamed for liking them due to such a "shallow" reason.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm sure if they continue to decline under Nick's 'care' then some of you will be vary happy still.

Fortunately, being able to be regarded and treated as people isn't exclusive to just human characters. Been clear for a while that there are definitely two camps, those that see them as people first, and those who see them as animals first.

Personally they were never animals to me. Just different and had a different start.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-28-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And at least one or two of them woman, please.
They should hire some directors of color while they're at it, too.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

The clerk at my comic book shop asked me what I thought of this show. I explained that the episodes were released out of order, tried to explain how the show set up the mutants, brought up the Warren Stone episode as an example of what kind of stories it tends to tell and how it made Baxter a kid.

He didn't think it sounded like something he want to watch.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 AM   #18
Kendamu
Sewerhead

This show feels like the 1987 version reincarnated for kids in 2018. Since I have a lot of nostalgia for the '87 version, my wife and I have a ton of fun with this show. We like most of the other versions of TMNT as well but for different reasons.

I'm really glad it's already been renewed for a second season because we really enjoy laughing together with this show.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:55 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

But...this show isn't anything like the original cartoon. Reminds me of people saying the 2012 show was like the original cartoon just because it has mutants. None of the Nick cartoons and original cartoon resemble each other in the slightest, I don't get where these comparisons come from. The Turtles eating pizza and fighting mutants is where the similarities stop.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
But...this show isn't anything like the original cartoon. Reminds me of people saying the 2012 show was like the original cartoon just because it has mutants. None of the Nick cartoons and original cartoon resemble each other in the slightest, I don't get where these comparisons come from. The Turtles eating pizza and fighting mutants is where the similarities stop.
Because this show is made for the kids of today just like the 80s version were for kids of that era. They're fun for different reason because times are different.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote