The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #261
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, sadly that´s not April but Batgirl based on the trailer dialog even if she does have the 2k3 April bun and similar outfit. All the character designs look awful but Im excited, its cool to see different turtles. The turtles do seem to live in the DCU here which is weird but whatever its only one film. Love the Shredder design, glad we dont have to wait long to see it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #262
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The turtles do seem to live in the DCU here which is weird but whatever its only one film.
Yeah, and since that's neither a real Batman universe or a real TMNT universe, there's really no reason not to just combine them into its own. Plus that saves them the whole "getting there"/"getting back" business.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #263
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The animators have done an outstanding job. I'm hoping that we will get a release date soon.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #264
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Worst Scarecrow design. Is he a mascot or what?
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #265
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Dont care for the turtles designs or baxter fly being in it but the rest of it looks cool. Really like Ivy's look.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #266
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I wonder why it's so rare in animation that Bane's mask ever covers his mouth, despite the fact that's his iconic luca-look in the comics? Even in live-action (where you most expect the directors to find ways to show an actor's face because... "acting") they made the mouth cover into a staple of the character.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #267
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I wonder why it's so rare in animation that Bane's mask ever covers his mask, despite the fact that's his iconic luca-look in the comics? Even in live-action (where you most expect the directors to find ways to show an actor's face because... "acting") they made the mouth cover into a staple of the character.
Yeah, it's because they figure he can show more emotion with no mouth and exposed eyes. I hate when they do that, though... it makes him look foolish, and like an actual luchador. The big lenses give him a bigger sense of horror, as you don't know what he's thinking.

This is how he should look:

Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #268
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, it's because they figure he can show more emotion with no mouth and exposed eyes. I hate when they do that, though... it makes him look foolish, and like an actual luchador. The big lenses give him a bigger sense of horror, as you don't know what he's thinking.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/bane.jpg
Yeah, now that you point it out, rarely does animation even cover Bane's eyes. It's sad that the horrible Batman & Robin film still gives us the most comic-book accurate "look" for Bane.

View my sketch work!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #269
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

HAHAHAHAH Now i will kill Batman for sure this time
Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #270
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's like, is Darth Vader's helmet a design flaw because we can't see the emotions on his face? No, that's stupid. He's scarier because we can't see that.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #271
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/bane.jpg
For me, this has to be one of the coolest masks in comics.

I even like what they did in Dark Knight Rises. It was different, but it was strange, gross, and badass all at once.

This mask is such a great look though. Always loved it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #272
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm still pretty much at a medium-tier "Meh" after seeing the trailer.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #273
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm still pretty much at a medium-tier "Meh" after seeing the trailer.
You enjoy "Rise..." don't you? I've barely given it much of a shake, but I'm curious what you prefer in that show. Smoother animation? Colors?

Just curious. I'm not too invested in either one at this point.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #274
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Since it was based on the Burton world, Joker's origin was already kind of understood (though his death obviously retconned and the full story of the film didn't factor into the series). They even refer to him by the Jack Napier identity once.

They did.

Well, to be fair, they didn't use Robin all that often. Certainly not enough to build up Grayson, have him depart, introduce Todd, kill Todd with a meaningful aspect, etc. Keep in mind, we're only talking about one meaty season and two additional shorter ones.

Considering the first season is the lion's share of episodes, you wouldn't necessarily want Robin to be there from the start as you want solo Batman first. It does throw me that Robin is so "here then he isn't" from episode bundle to bundle.

Knightfall was published in April 1993 through August 1994.
Batman The Animated Series aired from Sept 1992 to Sept 1995 with its final season being toned down a bit. With the time taken to start the storyboards through animating, it's fairly unrealistic to expect Knightfall/quest/end to make it into the animated series.

Bane's first appearance was a year after the cartoon started. Bane wasn't fleshed out and his defining storyline wasn't published during the majority of TAS' run.

The Long Halloween is definitely my biggest "huh?" when it comes to stories that haven't had an animated adaptation in any form. Or really much of an adaptation at all. "I believe in Harvey Dent" was about all that's been used.

I agree the comics have a plethora of defining stories that weren't able to make it to the animated series for a variety of reasons, though. Just noting some of the reasons to the specifics cited.

Well....that third one is debatable, especially up to a certain point in history.
All very well understood, but I was making a larger point about how that animated series - or ANY animated series - simply CAN'T function as the "definitive" version of a character. They're always going to either ignore certain fundamental stories and characters OR not have a chance to adapt them because of timing issues, as you've pointed out.

It's a great show and definitely the best Batman animated series, but some people imply that it's the only version of Batman that they or anyone would ever need, and to that I say "Poppycock".

Anyways, to the thread, this looks... weird. I'll almost certainly pick it up but I'm not sure what I'm gonna think.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #275
Sumac
Banned

Despite not being big fan of Turtle designs, seeing Batman and Turtles fighting bat-villains and Shredder is hype.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #276
CyberCubed
Overlord

I kinda wish they kept the designs/art style from the comic crossovers but this is fine. Is the Penguin voiced by the same person who voiced him in The Batman cartoon? As soon as I saw Penguin and he spoke it immediately reminded me of the old The Batman cartoon from the early 2000's.

The Turtles voices sound fine and while I don't entirely like their designs they're pretty good and more traditional than Rise at least. Seems like they're going to keep the same story with Shredder/Ra's teaming up and all the Batman rogues becoming mutants I guess. Shame it seems Splinter isn't in this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #277
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

The way I see it, any version can be anyone's definitive version. It's not so much that they're ignoring stories, it's that those stories simply didn't happen in that reality. Rather than look at everything as an adaptation of the comics, I see every show, movie, or other comic as simply a different version. I see no reason for everything to shackle itself to the comics. If everything had to be comic accurate, it would get boring. We'd get the same stories over again. I mean, Gotham is one of my favorite shows and it's super innaccurate when you compare it to the comics. But it never purported to be like the comics, it was always doing it's own thing while taking inspiration from them. It's the reason why I've always enjoyed most versions of the turtles. I just let each be their own thing, and judge them on their own merits. As for this movie, the trailer has eased most of my worries. It looks to be a good time.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #278
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
The way I see it, any version can be anyone's definitive version.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #279
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
You enjoy "Rise..." don't you? I've barely given it much of a shake, but I'm curious what you prefer in that show. Smoother animation? Colors?

Just curious. I'm not too invested in either one at this point.
Very much, yes. Mind you I'm someone who also loves Soul's Winter, Mutant Turtles: Superman Legend, & The Next Mutation. I like seeing wildly different takes on the TMNT, as there's so much recycling among other iterations. Rise appeals to me first on an aesthetic level, yeah. The action scenes are incredible, the colors are bold & saturated, the expressions & gestures are very exaggerated, it's like sweet & sour candy for the eyes. The humor is random, dry, & cheesy, but in a self aware way (though still an acquired taste, I imagine).

Contrary to most naysayers, I like that the core dynamic is shaken up-Leo is a smug showman, Raph a teddy bear, Donnie high strung AF, & Mike is normal for once. Their typical personality quirks are played to extremes as well, but the new traits round them out quite well, I think. While it is arguably most similar in tone to the old Fred Wolf cartoon, it doesn't desperately borrow things from it as all others have, which I greatly appreciate. It's really set apart in that it isn't afraid to do slice of life or single character episodes, not to mention unique scenarios like having Don & Mike build an animal shelter.

If you can go into it with an open mind & zero expectations, you should be able to find something to like about it. It's just important to remember that it is a deliberately over the top, humor-centric action cartoon, modernized in specific ways to target the current generation. Thinking of it as a parody may help your perspective, depending on what kind of turtle fan you are. I dunno. Rise never marketed itself as something its not, so I accept it fully, unlike the Platinum Dunes films.

There's no real reason to compare Rise to this Batman flick, they're apples & oranges. But I guess for now I prefer the neon reinvention to something that plays it safe & appeals mostly to casual fan sensibilities. Granted, this would not necessarily be the case in all mediums. A live action turtle film would be wise to play it safe. On a whole though, yeah, I like Rise's designs & visual flair a lot more, + I don't care about Batman. Still gonna check it out, of course.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #280
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Very much, yes. Mind you I'm someone who also loves Soul's Winter, Mutant Turtles: Superman Legend, & The Next Mutation. I like seeing wildly different takes on the TMNT, as there's so much recycling among other iterations. Rise appeals to me first on an aesthetic level, yeah. The action scenes are incredible, the colors are bold & saturated, the expressions & gestures are very exaggerated, it's like sweet & sour candy for the eyes. The humor is random, dry, & cheesy, but in a self aware way (though still an acquired taste, I imagine).

Contrary to most naysayers, I like that the core dynamic is shaken up-Leo is a smug showman, Raph a teddy bear, Donnie high strung AF, & Mike is normal for once. Their typical personality quirks are played to extremes as well, but the new traits round them out quite well, I think. While it is arguably most similar in tone to the old Fred Wolf cartoon, it doesn't desperately borrow things from it as all others have, which I greatly appreciate. It's really set apart in that it isn't afraid to do slice of life or single character episodes, not to mention unique scenarios like having Don & Mike build an animal shelter.

If you can go into it with an open mind & zero expectations, you should be able to find something to like about it. It's just important to remember that it is a deliberately over the top, humor-centric action cartoon, modernized in specific ways to target the current generation. Thinking of it as a parody may help your perspective, depending on what kind of turtle fan you are. I dunno. Rise never marketed itself as something its not, so I accept it fully, unlike the Platinum Dunes films.

There's no real reason to compare Rise to this Batman flick, they're apples & oranges. But I guess for now I prefer the neon reinvention to something that plays it safe & appeals mostly to casual fan sensibilities. Granted, this would not necessarily be the case in all mediums. A live action turtle film would be wise to play it safe. On a whole though, yeah, I like Rise's designs & visual flair a lot more, + I don't care about Batman. Still gonna check it out, of course.
Rise is indeed a beautiful show to look at.

So many of these Warner/DC direct-to-video animated movies just have a bland, soul-less quality to the character designs and animation.

That said, I liked what I saw in the trailer.

View my sketch work!