The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #681
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I like that they use the comics for inspiration but go their own way with it.

I don't want to see Civil War adapted panel for panel or even story beat for story beat. It wouldn't suit the strengths of the medium.
I mean, these conversations are so funny because once again everybody galvanizes to the argument that comes easiest.

I don't think anyone is looking for a "panel by panel" adaptation, and some liberty to suit a movie is fine. But essentially many of these stories that are successful have the story beats that define it.

So basically, yes you want the story beats the same as the source material but filled in with unique character moments that are license of the actors and film makers. Without that is actually where these movies go wrong.

But that's a very fine observation. Like I said, most meat puppets just sit there and watch this stuff either in enjoyment or disdain. I do it too. But when there's a key story being adapted then adapt it - don't slap a familiar name on it and lose site, you know?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #682
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
So basically, yes you want the story beats the same as the source material but filled in with unique character moments that are license of the actors and film makers. Without that is actually where these movies go wrong.

But that's a very fine observation. Like I said, most meat puppets just sit there and watch this stuff either in enjoyment or disdain. I do it too. But when there's a key story being adapted then adapt it - don't slap a familiar name on it and lose site, you know?
How the movies "goes wrong"?
If anything I've heard that movie was praised, while a lot of people criticized Civil War from comic books.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #683
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I mean, these conversations are so funny because once again everybody galvanizes to the argument that comes easiest.

I don't think anyone is looking for a "panel by panel" adaptation, and some liberty to suit a movie is fine. But essentially many of these stories that are successful have the story beats that define it.

I want them to take liberties. I don't want them to stick to the panels of the book, or as I said, even the major story beats, necessarily.

The comic stories are used for light inspiration and/or homage and that's a-okay with me. Like Prophet, I made peace with this not being the Marvel comic universe or a direct replica of it. If I want the comic version of Civil War, well, I'll read the comic.

I can understand how someone would be disappointed though, sure. Maybe you see the name Civil War and it feels like a promise that you will see Peter reveal himself, Cap die, etc.
I'd never want that though. Use the strengths of the medium you are working within. Play off the back story you have set up, not the backstory the comics set up, play to the strengths of your actors, and surprise me.

There is also a side of me that is just tired of people complaining about something being different from the source material. Sometimes I get it, but it often just sounds like whining to whine, to me. Not saying that’s always the case - sometimes material strays so far that it becomes unrecognizable.

Last edited by AquaParade; Yesterday at 08:16 AM.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #684
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New pics of Ock from Empire

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/qgtrbr
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #685
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
New pics of Ock from Empire

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/qgtrbr
That's an awesome image. Octavius looks a bit closer to the Spider-Man 2 version in that shot, than he did in the trailer, to me anyway.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote