The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #21
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Around here it varies a lot about what people think about TMNT. Some people think I'm a god because I'm still a tmnt fan and give them the divx episodes if they give me a cd. Of course I try to attract them to #tmnt-files but nobody has followed so far.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:40 PM   #22
nimrod
Foot Soldier

I've got my roomates and a few others interested in TMNT again mostly cause it's nostalgia for them. But alot of my other friends think its wierd I'm so into TMNT again.
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #23
heintzvelvet
Random Punk

I don't really get wierd looks or anything. People are really cool about it. Most of my friends actually hunt for TMNT stuff when they go to garage sales, or thrift stores! Its awesome! and even though alot of them aren't really into TMNT they still don't mind talking about it for a while or even watching an episode with me. They were all really excited for me when They found out TMNT came back!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #24
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant

I never really bring it up to anyone. Since 1987, I've been a TMNT fan. Over a week ago, I mentioned my older brother that I was recording the new TMNT cartoon on VHS. He looked at me funny. We saw it, and I enjoyed it. My older bro said that it was pretty cool. I also enjoy Anime.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:08 AM   #25
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

Who cares what other people think? I sure as hell don't! But I don't spend my days thinking and talking about TMNT, for me it's just the figures and the old toon. I think some people take TMNT a bit too seriously (no offense)
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #26
Reznorite420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknight
Around here it varies a lot about what people think about TMNT.
That sounds exactly like the same scenario at my school. The only real negative respones I've gotten about it was from this one guy in my technical theater class who's not only hated by everyone, but also listens to nothing but Bad Religion and hates almost anything. Basically, more of an outcast than I am...

The surprising thing about it, however, was the reaction I've been getting lately from a lot of these "jock" type guys that I don't really have a high view of. I expected them to laugh at me openly saying stuff along the lines of, "Ninja turltes? What kinda geek are you?". Nope, quite the opposite in fact. The first positive response I got was during an argument about the TMNT with that guy I mentioned above. One of the football players interrupted and said, "Yeah! Ninja Turtles!" and high-fived me.

As if that wasn't good enough, just recently, another football player commented me on my black TMNT shirt. I mentioned the new cartoon series would premiere soon, and it surprised me again when he added, "Yep, and a new toy line and new video games." The icing on the cake came when I commented on all of these 80s toons being resurrected, and then the guy that high-fived me said, "Because they rule!"

Yet within that same class only about 2 weeks later, one of those SAME GUYS saw my shirt again and said out of the blue, "You know, I actually bought all three Ninja Turtles movies on DVD." Let's just say the conversation that ensued following that wasn't sarcastic. These guys really were into it!

What else? A couple of times in my comptuer science class I've gotten some positive comments, both while somebody saw me browsing the official site. One guy looked over my shoulder and asked what the URL of the site was. Another guy came up and showed me the TMNT hat he had since he was 5. It's too bad he didn't want to sell it...

Of course, the thing that hit me the most that many people at my school, not just the nerds like myself, were still into TMNT was actually my junior year last year. Again, it was a football player that showed his love for it. Our class was doing a mini-project in US History on the 80s and 90s, and part of it was a mock newspaper. The main headline on his was on the TMNT (I forgot what year he did, though).

On a side note, I think the TMNT can now be considered "legendary". To me something can't be called legendary until it reaches a second generation. An example would be the difference between the original X-Men and the early 90s X-Men. Yeah...

Turtlemainia is back!
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:25 AM   #27
Lanagirl
Hench Mutant

TMNT are COOL

I've been a TMNT for so many years. And i never met people who said that it was a stupid cartoon. All my friends like them very much. I can tell one thing: if someone of my friends tell they are bad i will never talk to him again. I have a rule: NEVER scoff at somebody's interests.
Lanagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:25 AM   #28
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
[That sounds exactly like the same scenario at my school. The only real negative respones I've gotten about it was from this one guy in my technical theater class who's not only hated by everyone, but also listens to nothing but Bad Religion and hates almost anything. Basically, more of an outcast than I am..."

Hey.. I think I went to school with that guy!!! (either that or every high school had a guy like him)

The surprising thing about it, however, was the reaction I've been getting lately from a lot of these "jock" type guys that I don't really have a high view of. I expected them to laugh at me openly saying stuff along the lines of, "Ninja turltes? What kinda geek are you?". Nope, quite the opposite in fact. The first positive response I got was during an argument about the TMNT with that guy I mentioned above. One of the football players interrupted and said, "Yeah! Ninja Turtles!" and high-fived me.

As if that wasn't good enough, just recently, another football player commented me on my black TMNT shirt. I mentioned the new cartoon series would premiere soon, and it surprised me again when he added, "Yep, and a new toy line and new video games." The icing on the cake came when I commented on all of these 80s toons being resurrected, and then the guy that high-fived me said, "Because they rule!"

Yet within that same class only about 2 weeks later, one of those SAME GUYS saw my shirt again and said out of the blue, "You know, I actually bought all three Ninja Turtles movies on DVD." Let's just say the conversation that ensued following that wasn't sarcastic. These guys really were into it!

What else? A couple of times in my comptuer science class I've gotten some positive comments, both while somebody saw me browsing the official site. One guy looked over my shoulder and asked what the URL of the site was. Another guy came up and showed me the TMNT hat he had since he was 5. It's too bad he didn't want to sell it...

Of course, the thing that hit me the most that many people at my school, not just the nerds like myself, were still into TMNT was actually my junior year last year. Again, it was a football player that showed his love for it. Our class was doing a mini-project in US History on the 80s and 90s, and part of it was a mock newspaper. The main headline on his was on the TMNT (I forgot what year he did, though).

On a side note, I think the TMNT can now be considered "legendary". To me something can't be called legendary until it reaches a second generation. An example would be the difference between the original X-Men and the early 90s X-Men. Yeah...

Turtlemainia is back!
Yeah, I ran in to some jocks while looking at the new TMNT toys the day they came out at KB toys (well they were unpacking them anyways) and they all slapped hi-fives with me talking about TMNT... then some Gangsta type guys came over... AND JOINED IN.... it was so surreal to me. (in high school, I was a grunger, and hung out with skaters so they were our enemies and I still am in that frame of mind)
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:58 AM   #29
beaker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunger_kittie
Yeah, I ran in to some jocks while looking at the new TMNT toys the day they came out at KB toys (well they were unpacking them anyways) and they all slapped hi-fives with me talking about TMNT... then some Gangsta type guys came over... AND JOINED IN.... it was so surreal to me. (in high school, I was a grunger, and hung out with skaters so they were our enemies and I still am in that frame of mind)
Heh, I was the lone gothic freak kid back in High School. I dont think my love of TMNT(or Muppets or Transformers, etc) had been pronounced since Jr. High...though now that the 80's revival is in full swing its good to see the college kids embracing such stuff. But yeah, good to see the TMNT back!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #30
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello02
HorseTechie...I'm gonna guess you know what Kimchi is and you and his mom can't comminucate with each other worth crap. I'm Korean too. Anyway about the turtles...I loved it when I was 3, when the toon first came out and when the first turtles hit the shelves. I lost interest around..uh..well after the fifth line I think, it was a kinda off and on. I just picked it backed up when I heard a new toon was comin out and a new toy line. Some of my friends love the fact that I'm gettin back to them, and my parents are kinda freaked out cause they thought the turtles died out. Ha.
Hay, I didn't realize you were Korean. But yes, I do know Kimchee (I actually love to cook Korean more that anything... except for pizza. Still gotta have the pizza!) and I can't say anything beyond the basic phase book stuff to his mother and the rest of his family. Been trying to learn Korean, but with my night classes and whatnot going on too, it's been hard.

But yeah, it's funny when your folks get that wireded out look when they realize what you get back into. Poor hubby... it just so happen I was in my TMNT slump when I we were dating in college. He prolly would have ran away from me screaming if I was into them at the time!
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #31
Donatello02
Stone Warrior

My parents think I can't grow up. Stupid Korean parents. Oh well...I'm gonna go eat some rice. That'll show'em.

'What ninja weapon did Don get? A stickball bat.
Hey, you can call it a 'bo'. But you can call it a
Ford Tempo too...it's still just a stick.'
Donatello02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:36 PM   #32
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant

Let me throw in another question, amigos. Have you ever been asked, "aren't you a bit too old for the Turtles?" or anything similar to that?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #33
Vinny'sPizza
Random Punk

My views...

I think my mom might think I'm nuts for recording the new show... I don't wake up early enough on Saturdays to watch it. I've never been asked if I was too old for the show since I'm 18 and all... but I don't care anyway. Hell, there are tons of kids my age that absolutely love Spongebob Squarepants. GIVE ME A BREAK! No offense to anyone who is a fan of that show but nobody should even consider thinking I'm wierd for liking the TMNT if they watch friggin' Spongebob. A lot of my friends used to be a fan of the old toon back when I was... but they aren't into it now. I don't really bring it up at all... especially since it's only been about a month since I've regained my interest in them with the new toon.

I never have and never plan on going overboard however. The extent of my turtles purchases have been a few figures, a Michaelangelo costume, and a tape or two back in the early 90s. With the new generation of turtles... I'll buy whatever comes out on DVD and that'll be about it. With going to college soon I don't have the money to collect figures or anything... the actual cartoon is enough to satisfy me.

"Look pal, this ain't the public library. You gonna read or you gonna order pizza? Jeez, you're slower than a turtle!"
Vinny'sPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:58 PM   #34
Jephael
That whack job behind you

My mom tends to bitch about me still liking the Turtles (especially when I decide to order something through the mail). She can get me so riled up sometimes, I feel like punching a hole in the wall... or worse! Usually, I tell her to back off unless she wants me to do something I'll regreat later.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #35
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant

Re: My views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny'sPizza
I think my mom might think I'm nuts for recording the new show... I don't wake up early enough on Saturdays to watch it. I've never been asked if I was too old for the show since I'm 18 and all... but I don't care anyway. Hell, there are tons of kids my age that absolutely love Spongebob Squarepants. GIVE ME A BREAK! No offense to anyone who is a fan of that show but nobody should even consider thinking I'm wierd for liking the TMNT if they watch friggin' Spongebob. A lot of my friends used to be a fan of the old toon back when I was... but they aren't into it now. I don't really bring it up at all... especially since it's only been about a month since I've regained my interest in them with the new toon.
For sure, dude! I think, "SpongeBob?!?! What's so great about SpongeBob??" It's not the worst show out there, but it's not something I like scoping out. A lot of 18-year-olds (at least where I am) seem to like SpongeBob.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #36
Jephael

My cousin and I are Spongebob fans, and he's still a teenager. My younger cousin who's only 5 or so adores Spongebob.

www.jephael.com
Old 02-19-2003, 03:12 PM   #37
Reznorite420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude
Let me throw in another question, amigos. Have you ever been asked, "aren't you a bit too old for the Turtles?" or anything similar to that?
Yes, I have. I retaliate by telling them that I know several people older than I am that love it more than I do (my dad for one).
Old 02-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #38
Jephael

Your dad likes TMNT? Man I wish mine did, then I'd atleast have someone to watch the show with.

www.jephael.com
Old 02-19-2003, 03:21 PM   #39
Reznorite420
Banned

Yes he likes it. When I mentioned to him my revival on interest in the TMNT, his exact words were, "God, I love those guys, especially the movies!"

Maybe you remember the post I made a long time ago about how every Friday night or so he would take me and my sister to Blockbuster Video so that we could have a video to watch over the weekend. My sis and I always alternated on finding a TMNT video to rent. It even got to the point where my dad said to me every so often, "I think it's your sister's turn this week to get a Ninja Turtles video."

Even before that, he wanted to see the first movie as much as I did. The day it came out on video (and I mean THE day), he was looking for it as enthusiastically as I was.

Ah, memories...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:34 PM   #40
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude
Yes, I have. I retaliate by telling them that I know several people older than I am that love it more than I do (my dad for one).
Totally awesome, dude.