The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these runs did you enjoy the least?
Mirage Vol. 1 1-11 0 0%
Mirage Vol. 1 12-21 (Northampton and Return) 0 0%
The Guest Era (22-44) 10 16.67%
Mirage Vol. 1 45-62 0 0%
Mirage Vol. 2 1 1.67%
Image Vol. 3 3 5.00%
Mirage Vol. 4 6 10.00%
TMNT Adventures 1-13 0 0%
TMNT Adventures 14-26 0 0%
TMNT Adventures 27-44 0 0%
TMNT Adventures 45-72 0 0%
IDW 1-50 0 0%
IDW 51-100 2 3.33%
IDW 101-Present 35 58.33%
Any other miniseries, obscure thing, or Tales 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2021, 04:02 AM   #41
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Then explain to me how it has a beginning a middle and an end in any sort of true narrative manner. It began with the Turtles askew post-CAW and ended with... eh, a Louis Braunze subplot that sort of just ended with the discontinuation of the volume because of reasons outside of people's control?
I never said it was a good ending. It starts with them asking questions, starting to try and find their way, then brings Baxter back, who they fight, and they lose Raphael and meet Braunze, and then they go to DARPA and then a Triceraton ship shows up out of nowhere and explodes, then they go back home, the end. Oh, and Nobody was there. Each part of the story, short and rushed as it was, followed from the previous part, and technically it all fits together. They leave behind all of the questions at the beginning, but as in any story that forgets things it set up at the beginning (For example, the subplot of Peter's history with the Mob in the first season of Fringe), this doesn't mean that it's not a complete story. Just a poorly written one. A bad ending is still an ending, and this volume does conclude, even if it concludes poorly and even if that was due to outside elements. Now Volume 3, before the two conclusions came out? That was left unresolved abruptly. They didn't rush an ending, they just stopped in the middle. But even then Volume 3, at only 23 issues, which is fairly short by most ongoing standards, was still discussed and compared to other TMNT runs. Volume 2 should be no different.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:24 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I never said it was a good ending. It starts with them asking questions, starting to try and find their way, then brings Baxter back, who they fight, and they lose Raphael and meet Braunze, and then they go to DARPA and then a Triceraton ship shows up out of nowhere and explodes, then they go back home, the end. Oh, and Nobody was there. Each part of the story, short and rushed as it was, followed from the previous part, and technically it all fits together. They leave behind all of the questions at the beginning, but as in any story that forgets things it set up at the beginning (For example, the subplot of Peter's history with the Mob in the first season of Fringe), this doesn't mean that it's not a complete story. Just a poorly written one. A bad ending is still an ending, and this volume does conclude, even if it concludes poorly and even if that was due to outside elements. Now Volume 3, before the two conclusions came out? That was left unresolved abruptly. They didn't rush an ending, they just stopped in the middle. But even then Volume 3, at only 23 issues, which is fairly short by most ongoing standards, was still discussed and compared to other TMNT runs. Volume 2 should be no different.
But it's unfair. By Vol. 3's truncated ending they were able to complete... several story arcs. Vol. 2's structure didn't even have story arcs... just a free-flowing decompressed narrative that just suddenly ended. So technically they didn't even get to finish even 1.

Again, not apples to apples.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #43
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But it's unfair. By Vol. 3's truncated ending they were able to complete... several story arcs. Vol. 2's structure didn't even have story arcs... just a free-flowing decompressed narrative that just suddenly ended. So technically they didn't even get to finish even 1.

Again, not apples to apples.
Volume 2 has three very clear arcs: The initial aftermath of Vol. 1, the return of Baxter Stockman, and the Attack on DARPA, with a short interlude arc in the middle involving the return of the Fish People and Leo's emotional state. Each one of them is foreshadowed in the previous arcs (except the Fish one), each one of them concludes, and the story ends with all of them safe and sound back at April's. Technically, they did finish the three (or four) story arcs that they had. They just didn't do it well. And again, just because they were truncated, that doesn't excuse the bad writing. Those individual elements didn't have to be bad. The first two were fine, but the Fish people story just undermines "Sons of the Silent Age," and the DARPA arc is a big rushed mess with cheap character deaths, dull action, and Casey being brainwashed into an action hero for no reason. They could have done something better with the short time that they had. It didn't have to suck outside of being rushed. It didn't have to be poorly written. But it was, and it was concluded, and put out into the world that way. That makes it fair game as far as any discussion goes. I don't really think it's not apples to apples. After Volume 1, Mirage never really finished or properly pay off any of their longer stories. This is just the first instance of it. And, as far as the writing goes, it ends up being really similar to the way Volume 4 was ultimately handled. A lot of interesting ideas, followed by a lot of decompression, followed by an unsatisfying conclusion. But at least Vol. 2 technically has an ending. Volume 4, like Volume 3 originally before it, just stops right in the middle. I think the comparison is quite apt.

Last edited by Zog The Magnificent; 10-09-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #44
miru
Mad Scientist

Decided to go for the Dreamwave comics, as their ideas were quarter-baked and had little originality, and even the art was horrid. These were clearly a cash grab. Dishonorable mentions to the Guest Era, Image, late-run Amazing Adventures, post-Splinter vol. 4, and Mutant Town.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #45
Chris
Mad Scientist

Has to be the guest era of volume 1 for me. Yeah, maybe a few were decent but overall that era was really rough to almost unreadable for me.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #46
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

I'm going to go with Dreamwave. To short lived to develop properly, but similarly to Archie, could have gotten a life all it's own while loosely based on the 2003 series.
Having said that, I must point out that it had potential. "It could have been."
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #47
mrmaczaps
Banned

Mutant sh!tty certainly has quite the lead as most terrible currently... good. Its well deserved.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #48
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Post-#100 IDW wins.

A true reflection of the 2020s.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:52 AM   #49
member_removed
Hench Mutant

I've only read up to #105 so far, but It's not been outright terrible.

Guest era Vol I was choppy as **** and I honestly found it unreadable for about 80% of it.

Dishonourable mention to the Dream Wave run that was a terrible hot mess. I had such high hopes for a TMNT comic penned by Peter David.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Honestly of the guest era of Vol. 1, there's only 6-7 issues I'd say were actually bad and the rest were good or on par with the usual Mirage fare. People really exaggerate saying the whole guest run was wacky nonsense, when it was really only 5-6 issues at most.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #51
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The IDW Mutant Town run that was so bad it made me, a loyalist not even bother buying it, and that bizzare guest era run from the Mirage series.

Bonus point for Dreamwave, mostly for what could have been. I still say had they saved those odd 'Turtles is da Hood' for later on, after having some stories with the Foot and whatnot, the comic might have lasted. Shoulda skipped straight to the T4 story with the Turtlebot.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #52
member_removed
Hench Mutant

They only time I've not really enjoyed Lawson's work is when he was doing filling on TMNTA. IT really looks rushed and like it's just "another job" and he wants to get on to the next Mirage book.

Especially compared to Mitchroney's run on that title

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:28 PM   #53
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Fugitoid. View Post
Do people hate Lawson?
I sure do.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #54
Mechapod
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Fugitoid. View Post
Do people hate Lawson? I love his work. Lawson's work on that dinosaur comic is an absolute favorite of mine. I also love Tom Scioli, so I might have weird taste.
I like Lawson's stylized work. I like his earlier work on Mirage better though but still enjoy his later work. But I also can understand why others may not.

I am also a fan of Tom Scioli's work. I loved his Transformers vs GI Joe story that was published a few years ago; fun story, cool artwork and I loved seeing the little character cards everytime a new character appeared.
Mechapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:08 AM   #55
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

I failed reading comprehension and voted my favorite run instead of the worst run.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote