The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Does IDW have the rights to re-print all the Vol. 1 guest material?

Does IDW have the rights to reprint all the issues from Vol. 1 outside of the Mirage staff? Or do they still have to work on deals with those writers?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

That's a good question, and one that I have been thinking about a good deal recently.

They definitely don't have the rights to Rick Veitch's stuff (#24-26, 30, plus the Casey Jones miniseries), since he never signed away the reprint rights to Mirage. Veitch basically told me a new contract between him and Viacom/IDW would have to be worked out in order for his TMNT to see the light of day again.

They do have the rights to J.B. Bonivert's stuff, so maybe we'll finally Muscle & Faith in printed form.

They apparently have the rights to Mark Martin's stuff, since he basically told me that he more or less signed away all rights to his TMNT work to Mirage, though they'd still have to get his permission to reprint #22-23, which guest-stars Martin's character Gnatrat (a.k.a. Boo Swain).

Rich Hedden and Tom McWeeney might hold some rights to their TMNT work, but they're willing to let IDW reprint them.

Frank Bella still holds the reprint rights to his 2-pager "Pesticide" from the original Turtle Soup one-shot, plus an unpublished 4-page TMNT story, but he seems willing to let IDW reprint them.

Steve Bissette told me he sold every TMNT story he had a hand in.

Some of the TMNT works of Mark Bode, Jan Strnad, and Richard Corben were in Eastman's 25th anniversary book, so I assume IDW can reprint those stories (but in order to reprint Times Pipeline, they would need to obtain permission from the Estate of Vaughn Bode, amd maybe also co-writer Larry Todd).

I'd imagine that the other guest-created stories from the original black-and-white Turtle Soup are owned by their respective creators (Jim Miller & C.A. Stormon, Francis Mao, Bernie & Danny Shuman and John Dowling).

Matt Howarth, Paul Jenkins, Michael R. Gaydos and Dave Garcia (regarding his Turtle Soup short, not his work on Archie's TMNT Adventures which was work-for-hire) aren't sure, though for what it's worth, the cover to #41 by Howarth is included as extra in TMNT Smash-Up (same with all of Zulli, Rick McCollum & Bill Anderson and Hedden & McWeeney's vol. 1 issues), so IDW can probably reprint that (though it would nice of them to get permission from or at least credit Matt Howarth in regards to his ownership of Those Annoying Post Bros. Same with Matt Martin & Gnatrat, Dooney & Gizmo, and of course, Dave Sim & Cerebus).

Last I heard, Rick Arthur stills owns Lucindra. Don't anything else about the guy, let alone if IDW could even track him down.

Not sure about Don Simpson's TMNT shorts.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 06-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Venom
The Silly Symbiote!!

Zulli probably wouldn't object, after all Soul's Winter was collected to help provide some funds for him if I recall correctly.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Zulli probably wouldn't object, after all Soul's Winter was collected to help provide some funds for him if I recall correctly.
Though there's the question of whether IDW wants to bother reprinting stuff they'd have to have their accounting staff worry about the odds and ends of what % to pay him after profits and all that. I'd imagine they'd just print the stuff they have the direct rights to without any funny business.

But I do hope they go the extra mile for the Veitch, McCollum, Farley, and so on material. I really do.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-18-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
They definitely don't have the rights to Rick Veitch's stuff (#24-26, 30, plus the Casey Jones miniseries), since he never signed away the reprint rights to Mirage. Veitch basically told me a new contract between him and Viacom/IDW would have to be worked out in order for his TMNT to see the light of day again.
24-26? Gaaaah! That's the Bloodsucker story! Gosh, I hope something DOES get worked out, as that's one of my most favorite storylines from the original comics.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
24-26? Gaaaah! That's the Bloodsucker story! Gosh, I hope something DOES get worked out, as that's one of my most favorite storylines from the original comics.
Agreed, wholeheartedly.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Update: Don Simpson still owns the two TMNT parody short stories he did (one for Shell Shock, one for the color version of Turtle Soup). Seeing as how they're parodies, I can imagine why Mirage didn't try to get the rights to them.

Paul Jenkins never signed a contract, regarding TMNT Vol. 1 #43, so IDW would have to get his permission to reprint it, but I'd imagine they might be able to work out a deal (considering that Jenkins has done a lot of work-for-hire stuff for the likes of DC, Marvel, Top Cow and McFarlane).

Also, Murphy told me that Zulli sold all his TMNT stories and characters to Mirage.

Hedden and McWeeny's TMNT stories were work-for-hire.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
One of my favorites too, though I kind of look at it as a blessing in disguise because I would hate to see it coloured.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

in an email with rick vietch a few months back, he stated that he was not happy with mirage in regards to their sale to viacom. he said that kevin/pete claim that he signed over his rights to his stories, he said he did nothing of the sort. i dont know who ended up with what, but i'm pretty sure that mirage owns those stories as a work for hire contract.

i coresponded with rick arthur around the same time and asked him the same question. he said that he did the comic on a work for hire contract, but he did fight to keep the rights to Lucindra, which he said he was successful at doing. he also stated that the "work for hire" policy was well known.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Cipher
I can't even with this

So what happens, and excuse my ignorance, with work-for-hire issues in which the author retains rights to a character (a la Lucindra, and probably Matt Howarth's issue)?

Also, as much as early Mirage was an indie sounding-board and liked to maintain a mantra of creator rights, I really do wish the general policy on these issues had been work-for-hire (or at least include an across-the-board reprint policy, but work-for-hire probably would've been easier). It seems like it would've been a fair for both sides: the independent artist getting the publicity of the TMNT issue and Mirage maintaining consistent ownership of the content of the series.

Of course, I'm also kind of baffled by really wanting to keep a character you introduce in what you know is a guest issue for another series; seems like something you could just keep in mind as you plot the issue in the first place.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idw, mirage