The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #41
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Scalpers are the scum of the industry.
I used to have this view, but over the years it became tough to clearly define "scalper".

What if a "scalper" wants to get an exclusive item for someone else...who pays for the con tickets? The food? The hotel? The gas? How does the scalper value his time? Should the scalper get any money for his time? Should a tip be involved if the item is particularly in-demand? What if the item is listed on ebay at cost? Does any of this matter in the eyes of the distributer?

All rhetorical questions with the ultimate point being that it's impossible to define what exactly makes a scalper a scalper...the definition is different from person to person. Add in the fact that scalping happens in just about every hobby there is. Concert tickets, sporting events, convention exclusives, hot seasonal toys; the list is endless.

It's impossible to get away from and it can get depressing when you see it happen in a hobby you appreciate. I've learned to accept it as an inescapable annoyance. I've found doing so keeps my stress levels down and my enjoyment levels up.

So while I don't love it, I don't think everyone who engages in it is scum. Scalpers who brag, on the other hand...

Humility never goes out of style.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #42
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I mean, to put it into perspective: Commissioned art is a luxury. You are not only paying them to make the artwork, but for their education, experience, material cost, time, name brand, exclusivity of a one-of-a-kind artwork.

The artist do have to put aside their own work and enjoyments work on someone's commission , and it'll cost to use materials of the artist uses traditional art, or down payment for the digital tools.

And Sakai isn't a starving artist on DeviantArt that's been bullied to do 60 hours + work that'd put the Sistine Chapel to shame for mere $10, or worse for "exposure". The guy can charge a fair price for his time, talent and experience. Plus he doesn't live by commission by commission, so he doesn't need to entice people by offering artworks for peanuts to make the ends meet.

A friend of mine do commission work for $600 a piece, and he finds work just fine as people who want his art are willing to pay for it.

Just interesting thank you. I mean I understand my profession and how things are done but just wanted some info regarding this topic as I very unfamiliar with it . Thanks again
Old 12-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #43
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I mean a well known artist could do commissions for a lot less.
But why would they, if they are well known that on itself in another price bump factor. Plus there is a huge problem in the artist community that a lot of inexperienced artists sever undercharge for their art creating this entitlement among "fans" that want art for free with no consideration of what it'll cost the artist if they don't get money for food and pay their bills.

Artists should be compensated for their work, it's a skill and a job. You don't expect surgeons to operate for free or plumbers to work for "exposure"

Quote:
Giveback to the fans with very limited funds.
If they're fans they should respect the artists prices, and save up for something that is a luxury item like everyone else, or buy their prints or comics to support the artist. The fans support the artist not the other way around.

Quote:
The artist would be drawing anyway. Not like they would give up on art.
I absolutely hate this type of comments, I see it everywhere from other artists getting them to getting some myself. And yes, artists are gonna draw anyway, they aren't giving up art. But where's the incentive to draw someone else idea then their own, an artist isn't going to waste their time free or professionally to please a stranger cause "art is to expensive"

I'd suggest rather to look for artists that have a artblock and are up for requests, which is not the same as a commission, but there's a bigger chance to get your idea drawn by someone else on paper for free.

Quote:
But then you would have scalpers taking up all their commission slots and reselling the art.
I don't really see how that makes one an scalper to commission an artist and then sell the artwork. If you don't want to buy the resell piece, commission the artist for your own artwork instead. If the artist have limited commission slots you'll just have to wait and bide your time like everyone else.

Quote:
With higher prices it’s difficult to resell I imagine. You know flipping a $40 commission might be easier than trying to flip a $600 custom work. Just my opinions though.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. The artist isn't the one flipping an artwork, what the commission client does with the artwork is their business for the most part. or are you implying a $600 artwork should have been done for $40 instead?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #44
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I hope none of you are ever in a situation where you are practically disabled but choose to do something like this for an income rather than just draw social security disability, and then get trashed on discussion boards and Facebook for it.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #45
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I hope none of you are ever in a situation where you are practically disabled but choose to do something like this for an income rather than just draw social security disability, and then get trashed on discussion boards and Facebook for it.
What do u mean
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #46
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I digress. This is not what this forum is about and I shouldn't ask things like that forgive me
Moving on
Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I really can't understand how anyone can make a living selling toys on ebay anyway. By the time you pay ebay/paypal fees, pay for shippng (boxes/tape), or drive around, it'll cut into any minor profits you would make.

Like I can't wrap my head around it. Unless you're a huge store with hundreds of products a week, there's just no way one person can make much on second hand toys.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #48
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But why would they, if they are well known that on itself in another price bump factor. Plus there is a huge problem in the artist community that a lot of inexperienced artists sever undercharge for their art creating this entitlement among "fans" that want art for free with no consideration of what it'll cost the artist if they don't get money for food and pay their bills.

Artists should be compensated for their work, it's a skill and a job. You don't expect surgeons to operate for free or plumbers to work for "exposure"

If they're fans they should respect the artists prices, and save up for something that is a luxury item like everyone else, or buy their prints or comics to support the artist. The fans support the artist not the other way around.

I absolutely hate this type of comments, I see it everywhere from other artists getting them to getting some myself. And yes, artists are gonna draw anyway, they aren't giving up art. But where's the incentive to draw someone else idea then their own, an artist isn't going to waste their time free or professionally to please a stranger cause "art is to expensive"

I'd suggest rather to look for artists that have a artblock and are up for requests, which is not the same as a commission, but there's a bigger chance to get your idea drawn by someone else on paper for free.

I don't really see how that makes one an scalper to commission an artist and then sell the artwork. If you don't want to buy the resell piece, commission the artist for your own artwork instead. If the artist have limited commission slots you'll just have to wait and bide your time like everyone else.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. The artist isn't the one flipping an artwork, what the commission client does with the artwork is their business for the most part. or are you implying a $600 artwork should have been done for $40 instead?
Seems like I’ve touched on a subject you are very passionate about. I stand by everything I said in my previous post. I respect your thoughts but do not wish to get in a back and forth over the subject. Would be pointless seeing how neither of us would change our opinions.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #49
Powder
So tired of this place

Candy's 100% right on this. Nobody outside of the art collecting community respects artists when it comes down to the $ side of it. Sad.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #50
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Candy's 100% right on this. Nobody outside of the art collecting community respects artists when it comes down to the $ side of it. Sad.
I respect anyone's talents. I was just and am stil naive when it comes to this
Just need some education
Like when I look at ur deviant art site, I can't even fathom the talent u have
Artistic talent is something I lack
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #51
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kind of true of everything, really. I'm a computer engineer. If I somehow ended up in your home and you were having a computer problem and you thought I could help you, you'd probably get pretty offended when you asked me to look at it "real quick" and I told you my time spent looking at computer problems was worth at least $50/hour, please pay up front.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #52
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
I respect anyone's talents. I was just and am stil naive when it comes to this
Just need some education
Like when I look at ur deviant art site, I can't even fathom the talent u have
Artistic talent is something I lack
I'm not knockin' you, buddy! I just mean in general. & thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Kind of true of everything, really. I'm a computer engineer. If I somehow ended up in your home and you were having a computer problem and you thought I could help you, you'd probably get pretty offended when you asked me to look at it "real quick" and I told you my time spent looking at computer problems was worth at least $50/hour, please pay up front.
Yeah, you're totally right. Same thing with music production, another field I have experience in. When it comes to folks seeking just about anything outside of hard physical labor, the entitlement & disrespect is off the charts.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #53
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm not knockin' you, buddy! I just mean in general. & thank you very much.

Yeah, you're totally right. Same thing with music production, another field I have experience in. When it comes to folks seeking just about anything outside of hard physical labor, the entitlement & disrespect is off the charts.

Oh man I know ur not knocking me
I was just trying to throw some mad respect ur way
Old 12-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #54
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah I think a lot of professions have that thing where consumers have sticker shock. And then the professional has to explain (or not) why the product/service is worth what it is worth. Though for some reason you never hear the phrase “starving carpenter” or “starving car salesmen.” I imagine artists have a lot of tough times while they’re trying to make a name for themselves.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #55
Will not be censored

Someone has put one on eBay. They have it in hand already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Variant-Exc...MAAOSwWHBaKc-V
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:

Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #56
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Someone has put one on eBay. They have it in hand already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Variant-Exc...MAAOSwWHBaKc-V
That didnt take long. Ill stick with my SDCC one and be happy.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #57
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
If you get trashed online, it's not because you do what you do. It's how you carry yourself and the comments you make that make you a target.

Comments like:
Quote:
The choice to only list a set quantity per day has enabled me to generate money to scalp more of these
or
Quote:
I won!!!

Suck it, losers!!!
Claiming you're an innocent victim in all this means you're either massively socially unaware or you relish the attention you get by being the "bad guy". Given that my advice to you a while back went in one ear and out the other, I suspect it's the latter.

What you're doing isn't illegal. TONS of people do what you do. Keep doing it if you need to. Just don't gloat and insult people and then try to play the sympathy card when there's backlash.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #58
Rewdog
Thug

Anybody in the UK looking for a remarque? Message me.
Rewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #59
Will not be censored

I will be offering a Remarque for sale as well.
Quote:

Old 12-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #60
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I got the comic book I ordered on the same day (to prep my account info) yesterday, so I'm wondering if my figure may be waiting for me at home today!

//EDIT: Never mind...I see in my spam mail that while I got a "your order is complete" email about the comic 4 days ago I didn't get one of those yet for the figure.

Last edited by DonnieLaForge; 12-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote