The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #821
Leo656
The Franchise

If anything the fact that the movie even got to $44 million opening weekend with an average of less than a dozen people in each theater screening should be taken as a minor miracle. Some people still don't feel "safe" being at the movies yet and are going to wait for it to hit streaming. Even with all that working against it, the movie had a decent opening considering present-day circumstances.

This should be cause for celebration. NOT more whining about "People didn't like Chickbusters! Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!"

So far it sounds like my theater was one of the more "packed". First three rows were empty besides the two of us but the section behind us had a lot of folks ("a lot" being relative). I figure maybe 30-ish people in total? I didn't get a head count but there were definitely more than 20 but less than 50. So I'll say 30.

Of course, NJ has mostly told the virus to go f*ck itself so I guess it's not altogether surprising. Lots and lots of people have been and continue to go out.

Anyways, I'm excited for the future of the franchise again. Let the record forever show that I can come out of the gate cynical as hell but still change my mind when I see something I like. I did not expect to love this movie as much as I did, not at all. Trying to go see it again this weekend with a friend!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 11-24-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #822
sdp
doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It is part of IDW's GB-multiverse and has had at least one comic crossover with the mainstream cast.
Well but I think everything is canon for IDW including TMNT, star trek, transformers, gi joe and I guess X-files and others techincally.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #823
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If anything the fact that the movie even got to $44 million opening weekend with an average of less than a dozen people in each theater screening should be taken as a minor miracle. Some people still don't feel "safe" being at the movies yet and are going to wait for it to hit streaming. Even with all that working against it, the movie had a decent opening considering present-day circumstances.

This should be cause for celebration. NOT more whining about "People didn't like Chickbusters! Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!"

So far it sounds like my theater was one of the more "packed. First three rows were empty besides the two of us but the section behind us had a lot of folks ("a lot" being relative). I figure maybe 30-ish people in total? I didn't get a head count but there were definitely more than 20 but less than 50. So I'll say 30.
Yeah, I went on a Thursday night 7:30pm showing in the XD "experience" theatre. The room was huge, but probably only 20 folks... 30 TOPS, mostly middle-aged guys in groups with buddies/gals. One dude was in full GB jumpsuit costume. Maybe one or two family with kids. I could tell it probably wouldn't be the type of movie to captivate a new generation of kids.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #824
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Of course, NJ has mostly told the virus to go f*ck itself so I guess it's not altogether surprising. Lots and lots of people have been and continue to go out.
I don't think any of this is shocking. I've been going to the movies here all the time and there have been full theaters and there have been largely empty theaters, even going back many months -- and this is WA, blue as can be.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #825
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, I went on a Thursday night 7:30pm showing in the XD "experience" theatre. The room was huge, but probably only 20 folks... 30 TOPS, mostly middle-aged guys in groups with buddies/gals. One dude was in full GB jumpsuit costume. Maybe one or two family with kids. I could tell it probably wouldn't be the type of movie to captivate a new generation of kids.
Angela and I went to the 10:15 XD showing (might be the last, didn't seem much grander than a standard viewing) there were 10 people, tops. Then again, that show would be over at 12:30am...so that May be why there weren't that many.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #826
Vegita-San
Emperor

Ghostbusters Afterlife needs more than one viewing. Anyone notice he kept the maid sign from the 'burn in hell' door?

I would dare say it's perfect. not as original as The Game was with new developments to tech and lore....but better than GB 2. and i'm glad some things from the game carried over like one key design element.

thank you reitmans.

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #827
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, about the video game... eh... I guess it could still technically have happened? Although... it was set in 1991. Giant castles rising from the water and a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man takes another walk down New York streets in happen in this. Also, this makes it not confined to just the 80s. Also, Peter not being with Dana post-GB2 and getting with Ilyssa makes that... fairly dicey. As in, if they ARE in fact married in Afterlife, because that'd mean they got together after GB1, broke up, got back together after GB2, broke up again, then he got with Ilyssa, broke up, and got back with Dana at some point. Not impossible, just... dicey. Especially with her being a single mother and all. Personally, I always figured they wanted Sigourney, couldn't get her for whatever reason, and pulled Ilyssa out of their as*es.

And then there's Shandor's spirit possessing people in the game and then getting a Destructor form at the end that's cross-streamed and destroyed. BUT... we know from Afterlife that crossing the streams with Gozer didn't kill her, either. It's not inconceivable that Shandor's spirit just went back to the netherworld until it was called to his physical body in Afterlife.

One thing Afterlife DID definitely take from the game, though, is Shandor's physical appearance, down to the mustache and outfit and all. It's pretty close to what's in the game.

Also... "not a ghost sighting in 30 years"? 2021 - 1991 = 30 years. Hm.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-26-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #828
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
One thing Afterlife DID definitely take from the game, though, is Shandor's physical appearance, down to the mustache and outfit and all. It's pretty close to what's in the game.

Also... "not a ghost sighting in 30 years"? 2021 - 1991 = 30 years. Hm.

yep, that's how I knew it was him instantly. from the photo they showed in the game. along with steve martin being in that same photo group of 'powerful people' ;o)..

and yeah, the 30 years thing would also include the game as 1984 was longer than 30 years ago.

I do kind of hope they retcon the game a little by making DANA a shandor. THAT would have made sense in why she was always targeted for these things.

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:03 AM   #829
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
and yeah, the 30 years thing would also include the game as 1984 was longer than 30 years ago.
When I first heard that in the trailer I immediately took it to mean GB2 is fine and canon. Probably. Because 1984 from 2021 is far closer to 40 years if he was merely rounding up or down. But yeah... it seems to accommodate the game as well.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #830
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
When I first heard that in the trailer I immediately took it to mean GB2 is fine and canon. Probably. Because 1984 from 2021 is far closer to 40 years if he was merely rounding up or down. But yeah... it seems to accommodate the game as well.
Always makes me a little sad to think that immediately after saving the world from a major event, they have literally no job left to do.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #831
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

More mentally ill:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy...azy-nostalgia/
Old 11-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #832
Leo656
The Franchise

Disgusting. What a complete crock of sh*t.

It's one thing when women try and defend that terrible reboot - they have a vested interest in "supporting women" no matter what, even to terrible ends (see their unwavering support of that human trash fire Hillary Clinton), AND women generally have really bad taste in movies and TV anyway. So when I see a woman try and defend that awful movie, I'm disappointed that the individual isn't smart or evolved enough to "override her programming", but I'm also not shocked.

But whenever I see a MAN try and defend that garbage reboot movie, to say I'm disappointed and confused would be an understatement. Like I seriously cannot fathom what it must feel like to hate one's own dick THAT badly.

I mean this joker isn't just defending Chickbusters, he's doing everything short of calling it a masterpiece of modern cinema. That's... that's not true at all. It's terrible! It's provably, objectively, INDEFENSIBLY a terrible movie which fails on every single level.

This numbnuts does all that, along with a heaping helping of "Ghostbusters is stupid anyway and you guys are stupid for caring about it." Of course.

Jesus Christ. What a f*cking bad joke.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #833
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Disgusting! What a way to gain attention by sticking up for a bad film.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #834
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

(Phone acting up, sorry)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:11 AM   #835
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I've defended bad movies and applaud people that do that find something in them. But this isn't that. This is just a continuance of "we need this to be a hit! Because ideology!" Now on the revenge chapter, weirdos appalled that something new is out there that isn't remotely about that stuff.

No bueno.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #836
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Gotta quit giving these $#!(bags the links for people to click on, man.

Maybe give a little synopsis and the name of the site, but again, everytime you link to something they get a google metric for it, and everytime someone clicks on one of these negative, leftist clickbait derangement articles, they get paid.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #837
Coola Yagami
Overlord

These are the same kind of people that wish to use all forms of media to push their woke agenda. These are the ones complaining that Godzilla VS Kong was just a fun movie and consider it a waste of time because there was no woke or political agenda to be found. Sometimes a dumb movie is just a dumb movie and people just want to see two giant monsters fight it out to be entertained. Wanting to turn your brain off for a few just to be entertained doesn't make you a dumb person, but there were news articles back in the day comparing anyone that actually enjoyed Godzilla VS Kong to being a Trump supporter, cause gawd dammit, if the movie itself won't be political, we'll find a way to make it political somehow!!! The agenda must be pushed at all costs!!!

Idiots. All of them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #838
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok I finally saw this. I never go on opening weekends. Regardless of the virus. I did not do it for Sonic either. There was only 2 other people in the theater besides us and they both wore masks. I appreciate that. I wore one too.

Anyway the movie was great. I don’t really give number scores but if I had to I’d give it 9 out of 10. My only concern before was that it was going to basically redo the first plot but it doesn’t. It really feels like a continuation.

Afterlife does not really spend time refreshing your mind or getting people up-to-speed on the old events. Which is fine. You should see the first 2 to understand their importance.

The humor, storyline and characters are all great. Phoebe is very likable. I think Podcast is funny and the rest fit even if they don’t have a big impact on the overall situation except for the mom and Rudd.

Spoiler:
I think they handled Egon fantastically. I’m a little surprised they included him as a ghost but it I think it does come off very heartfelt. I like how he played chess with Phoebe and lead them through the pke meter.

I love that they gave a very detailed explanation of why they disbanded. I knew they’d give a reason.

I even liked Gozer’s updated look. She/he looked more menacing and being able to grab the proton streams was cool.

Love that Winston took over the firehouse. I definitely want to see him (and Ray) work along side the kids again.

I do have a couple of complaints. No movie is perfect.

Ray not believing Egon about Gozer. I fully get the public, maybe even Peter and Winston not taking it that seriously but Ray is the one who loves the supernatural and studies it. It’s possible but them getting into a decades long dispute is weird.

The appearance of the original 3 was fine but it would have been better if they arrived beforehand and talked things over with the kids. We don’t even see how they got there. It’s just a little too convenient.

These are more nitpicks. Not actually issues.

I found it kind of funny how Ray goes off into a huge explanation of what happened over the phone to a kid he’s never met. Even before she said she was Egon’s granddaughter.

I’m surprised Slimer was not in it. Probably in a deleted scene but doesn’t really bother me.

I was more hoping to see the mini pufts combine to form Stay Puft but I’m glad their reaction to the original team was real and not just edited for the trailer. They’re sabotaging the car but also excited to see them return so they remember. It’s cute.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 AM   #839
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"It was off when Ray spilled his guts out to a stranger on the phone."

I've been seeing this a lot. That was kind of my kneejerk when I saw the scene as well. But upon thinking about it a lot more... no, it actually works. If it was any other Ghostbuster it wouldn't, but no... it actually 100% makes sense that Ray would spill all of that to anyone who would listen (which is probably not many these days, in-story). And this isn't just anyone. And Ray is receiving the news about Egon live so he's going to immediately be in a state of shock/grief.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #840
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I thought of that too. That it’s something that weighs on his mind. I don’t think it’s a problem that’s why I put it under nitpicks.

The audience needed to know but how he immediately explains everything in one fell swoop. Even before she tells him he passed away. Giving details on what the others went on to do. It’s just kinda unintentionally funny.